NHL is back

Titosros

Watters: And I agree with you -- they are whacking away at the wrong syllable -- if I could use that term. The one thing that seemed to play into the union's hands -- and you can clarify this Mr. Levitt -- Bill Daly was talking on ESPN last week and said that the New York Rangers lose money. ... Can you envision the New York Rangers losing money when the building is packed every night?

Levitt: Yes, they do lose money and I did see those numbers. And we accounted for those numbers -- we accounted for revenue that went to television ownership that the club has -- there are a number of clubs that own their own television stations and their own arenas.

Seems like even New York wasn't making money.

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcripts/levi...ript100104.html

Interesting. Odd, that's the first time that's been mentioned. Either he's full of it, or something odd is going on. My point ultimatelty stands, If the Rangers cna't make money, they can either shape up or ship out. If they can't make good business decisions to stay afloat then they don't deserve a NHL team.

I got no mercy for NO ONE when it comes to business. No one.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think it'd be bad for the game, as smaller teams, which often develop talented players, are not able to retain their investment as the big boys gobble them up with the big term deals.

If the NHL wants to have a diverse market exposure (which they do if they want to make more money), a salary cap helps this. Without a salary cap, players follow the money, so smaller teams that would like their fans to retain some sort of interest in the game have to try to remain competitive. However, you'll just end up with teams in the big cities that can match the salaries.

I can't imagine hockey being limited to the biggest cities as being good for either hockey or the NHL.

And the NBA has a great salary cap implementation IMO. I like how if you resign a player, you can sign him for whatever you want, even if it's a bazillion dollars past the cap. But any new player you sign, the team must not exceed the cap after the signing (salaries of the minimum amount are exempt...likely for injury reasons). So you aren't penalized if you get good players on your team and would like to keep them, but at the same time you don't want to excessively exceed the cap in case a big free agent comes up, or a big trade deal comes up.

"If the NHL wants to have a diverse market exposure (which they do if they want to make more money), a salary cap helps this. Without a salary cap, players follow the money,"

Isn't that the way it should be? If I'm a player or a prospective employee, I should have the right to work where I would be treated the best. Salary is always a major part of that. If a team is only willing to spend $2 mil and another $10 mil on me then damn unless the one offering $10 mil is a really horrid place to work than damn it would be STUPID not to sign with them.

The big market teams should NOT ahve to babysit the small market teams just like Sears should not have to babysit Pa and Ma store down the street.

"I honestly would have preferred that the league fold permanently and a brand new league form."

That would not solve nothing. I may hate the way the new agreement has been worked out; but at least it's settled . It's also not like the players didn't get nothing out of solid - they get higher minimum wage which is good for the crappy hanger ons, and retirees get moolah too.

Hockey <_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah. Finanical analyists paid by the owners said that. I don't believe them AT ALL.

The NHL offered to give access to their books to an NHLPA auditor, and they declined.

The best would be for Crosby to land in Montreal. He even wants to play here.

As long as a Canadian team other than the leafs get him, I'm happy.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"If the NHL wants to have a diverse market exposure (which they do if they want to make more money), a salary cap helps this. Without a salary cap, players follow the money,"

Isn't that the way it should be? If I'm a player or a prospective employee, I should have the right to work where I would be treated the best. Salary is always a major part of that. If a team is only willing to spend $2 mil and another $10 mil on me then damn unless the one offering $10 mil is a really horrid place to work than damn it would be STUPID not to sign with them.

Because that does not help create the diverse market exposure that would ultimately get the league more money.

"I honestly would have preferred that the league fold permanently and a brand new league form."

That would not solve nothing.

If it doesn't solve nothing, then it must solve something!

"If it doesn't solve nothing, then it must solve something! "

Meh. Poor wording aside, you know what I meant. <_<

"How much sh!t would the league get in if they had doctored books?"

If proven in court a lot.

Oh yeah, just a word to those who hate the greedy players for forcing high ticket prices on them; this new deal isn't gonna be seen by fans as chances are tickets prices are rising. This is almost guaranteed with the Toronot Maple Leafs.

It's not the players' greed one has to worry about; but the owners' greed.

"Players should have been more aggressive in pushing for lower ticket prices if they got lower salaries."

Nice. Blaming the players for somehting they have no control over. Hell, the players couldn't even a great deal for themselves yet you trust them to negotiate for the fans? Heck, if they did, fans would like be forced to pay thousands of dollars to watch one game.

R00fles!

The owners control ticket prices. They deserve 100% blame for it.

Why should they salvage anything for a group of dinks who hate their guts and are soa rrogant that they think the players should be their slaves to their every whim. Quite frankly, what Jeremy Roenick said a few eeks ago was too soft. "Fans" are skum, pathetic, and morons.

Skum = their arrogant stance against players out of sheer jealousy because players make way more money than them

Pathetic = these are the same fans who try to place those same players on the pedestal of perfection and then turn around and wonder why players are 'arrogant'

Morons = The fans about high prices for tickets yet will go and buy them, anyways.

Fans.. urgh...

ESPN is the only Sports News Service, and ESPN reported this two weeks ago.  It just became official however today.

The players were stupid to hold out, because now fans don't care, and the players got a worse deal now than they were initially offered a year ago.

That was actually reported by the LA Times. KFFL is usually my best news wire for sports info.

that being said. I think the lottery is supposed to be weighted after this years. I'm dreading this upcoming draft as NY, Toronto, Detroit or LA will probably end up with the #1 pick and Sidney Crosby.

Anxious to see if the Penguins are able to pick up any decent guys in free agent. Would be cool to see Marty Straka back in the Burgh.

If there is a God the Leafs will trade Sundin and the rest of the team will be exposed for the second rate players they are with barely any new talent coming up.

What the..? Why..? Bah! Argh.

As long as a Canadian team other than the leafs get him, I'm happy.

MEH.. WHAT THE.. WHY DO YOU.. BAH!! ARGH!!

;)

(Leafs in 2006! Yay!)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Didn't you mention something about the "Prairies" in an earlier post.

Don't think so. :p

Bonus influence for being an Albertan :)

Hate to ruin it, but I'm not Albertan. :( I just happen to be an old Messier fan who likes the Oilers, but I'm from northern Europe.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum