NHL is back

Titosros

From Foxsports.com

The sides met for 24 hours starting Tuesday afternoon to hammer out the collective bargaining agreement that will return the NHL to the ice on time in the fall. In February, commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season, making the NHL the first North American sports league to lose a year because of a labor dispute.

If all goes according to plan, a scaled-down draft is expected to be held later this month and training camps will open from Vancouver to Miami in September. Real NHL games will be back on the schedule come October

The sides met for 10 straight days in New York, and it became clear Wednesday morning - the 301st day of the lockout - that they weren't going to leave the room without an agreement in hand

be careful, there are posters around here that think there is something sinister with getting sports news from fox. i have been chastised in the past (in spite of the fact that foxsports links through msn). :*

btw, WOOHOO!!! NHL IS BACK!!!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

That horrible conservative biased fox sports!

I go to TSN personally.

Anyway, I'm happy. I missed out on my national pasttime last season. And the CBC missed out on 60% of its viewership :D

I hear they changed the draft format too. Instead of inverse point order from last season, they're going with a random order for draft picks. Heres hoping the Canucks nab Sidney Crosby.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I prefer the draft lottery, like in the NBA.

Crap teams should have the best chances of snagging up the best talent, to help bring parity IMO.

Well the inverse point order achieved that. If you were the last place team the year before, you got the first draft pick, and if you were the first place team, you got the last pick, etc. I think they're going random this year since there was no season last year. And a lot of teams went through some major reconstruction in the meantime. Such as the Rangers. They dumped all their high priced has-beens, since they had the highest payroll in the league, yet didn't even make the playoffs like 2-3 years in a row, and went with a young low cost team with potential. I believe several teams did that too.

Off topic: Heres hoping Luongo manages to either get some help this season or get traded to a different team. Its a shame arguably the best goaltender in the league is stuck on Florida.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm happy that the season will be played, but I really thought that they should eliminate atleast a couple of teams

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I prefer the draft lottery, like in the NBA.

Crap teams should have the best chances of snagging up the best talent, to help bring parity IMO.

Well the inverse point order achieved that. If you were the last place team the year before, you got the first draft pick, and if you were the first place team, you got the last pick, etc. I think they're going random this year since there was no season last year. And a lot of teams went through some major reconstruction in the meantime. Such as the Rangers. They dumped all their high priced has-beens, since they had the highest payroll in the league, yet didn't even make the playoffs like 2-3 years in a row, and went with a young low cost team with potential. I believe several teams did that too.

Off topic: Heres hoping Luongo manages to either get some help this season or get traded to a different team. Its a shame arguably the best goaltender in the league is stuck on Florida.

Ooooohhh, you were talking about for the upcoming year. In that case I agree.

But even still, I prefer the lottery over the inverse system. It means that teams that tank games on purpose are not guaranteed the top pick. It can lead to some interesting stuff as the Orlando Magic back-to-back #1 picks, despite the fact they were the best team to not make the playoffs in the second year (They drafted O'Neal, and then Chris Webber to be traded for Anfernee Hardaway). The lottery is only among teams that did not make the playoffs though.

I guess I'll wait until next week when this deal is ratified before I go jumping through any hoops proclaiming hockey is back. If this deal goes through, there is going to be a lot of changes before the season even starts.

This year its my turn to organize our hockey pool at work. With the bulk of the top scorers from the last season they played being all free agents, it's going to be a total pain in the ass. I would not want to be a GM for the next three months... :shifty:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

ESPN is the only Sports News Service, and ESPN reported this two weeks ago. It just became official however today.

The players were stupid to hold out, because now fans don't care, and the players got a worse deal now than they were initially offered a year ago.

If I recall they got a salary cap and a 24% pay cut across the board.

Then again NHL salaries were approx. the same as NFL salaries, the the league only made about 2% of what the NFL makes in TV revenue. Players were really overpaid in the NHL and they held out for more money?

Idiots.

They aren't too thrilled with their union rep, that's for sure.

This is the same guy that quintupled (if not more) their salary during his reign, they can't be too upset with him. Anyway welcome back NHL. It will be interesting to see where they end up on T.V. They are no longer with ESPN.

I hope this doesn't wreck my NHL centre ice programming on Bell. BTW Ender your new avatar reminds me of Baley for some strange reason... :blink:

And I think that a deal is being signed now because the players realize how much hockey will be hurting as a result of this dispute. As far as signing a deal for less money, it looks like some of the things that the NHLPA did accomplish by holding out ( UFA dropping to the mid to late 20s from 31, new arbitration rights) , will be at a pretty hefty cost if nobody shows up for the games in the states and then nobody will be making any coin. Hey how much revenue do you share when the pot is zero?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It's not bad or anything, Ender, its just that I see it and I go 'Baleys posting again'. And he did change his a while ago so its more my problem than yours . My bad.

Anyhoo I can't understand why the Rangers will be getting three chances at the top pick in the lottery draw? Isn't that just rewarding ineptitude? If there is a God the Leafs will trade Sundin and the rest of the team will be exposed for the second rate players they are with barely any new talent coming up.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Meh, chokes is one thing.

But if I recall, from what I saw I got the impression that Toronto was being horribly outplayed, especially in the early parts of the series, when it goes 1-0 for Toronto in OT, with shots being like 50-20 for Ottawa.

EnderWiggin Posted Today, 12:49 AM

The Avs will probably return sans Forsberg and Sakic, which really sucks.

Do even have a goalie or is it still that same kid from last year? I'll miss joltin Joe but Peter Forsberg (while a great player, no doubt) was a nosebleed away from retiring anyway.

Who knows, maybe Vincent Damphosse will be able to keep up with Tanguay and Hejduk on the top line? And Calgary might make it to the finals again too... :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Dangit... just found out the 'Nucks might be losing Naslund... God damn Vancouver management firing Burke...

Devastatorsig.jpg