Exclusive NWN 2 News Jeremy Soule Interview!

Rhomal

Mr. Soule has been quite busy so forgive the delay, but here is the mystery interview I promised several weeks ago! It is a extensive interview covering his background, CRPG music and of course NWN. I hope you enjoy, here is a snip:

When you are approached by a game company to compose music do you play or view the game first for inspiration? For your process, do you need to have something from the game (i.e. demo it, read about the story/plot, etc.) to produce music or are you able to go in 'cold'?

[Jeremy Soule] I always said that if this composing thing doesn't work out, I could be a psychic. No, just kidding. Actually, I try to spend time with the people I'm working with to really get a sense of what their goals are for their game. Often, you can't get the whole picture from a design document or a beta build. I know that games are always a moving target in the development stage and the people that have the best understanding of the whole process are the developers themselves.

Full article: http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartsecti...m.php?itemid=23

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Hah, one of the most unoriginal game music composers ever.:-

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So Soule isn't doing NWN2.

My suspicion has been that it'll be Inon Zur. It's been announced that he'll be doing the soundtrack for an 'award-winning' 'epic' RPG series, and it's been known that he's working with Atari for such a franchise. So, basically, he's working on either BG3 or NWN2. Most likely NWN2.

The composer for NWN2 will be very important to me, and the soundtrack better be freaking kickarse. I don't plan to use any custom music, so I'll be using the default music for my mod (in preproduction phase). I'll be very happy if it turns out to be Inon Zur, as I think he'd be the best choice. I love Jeremy Soule in a hot passionate way and all, but some of his work lately has been somewhat disappointing (Guild Wars soundtrack is pretty forgettable). I also want a live orchestra, so Atari better pay up for this, or there WILL be blood.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, Inon was responsible for it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Mark Griskey did the music for Sith Lords.

http://www.griskey.com/

kirottu said:

Hah, one of the most unoriginal game music composers ever.:(

Done a lot of music composition have you? :*

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

:*

Soule is so boring. Everytime I hear his works I just know it's his synth coterie going ape**** in the studio. There are far, far better game composers out there.

I also hate Marty O'Donnell, but that's off-topic already.

kirottu said:

Mark Morgan is where it's at.

Him or Michael Koenig

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Indeed, although only for rpg obviously.

kirottu said:

While Mark Morgan is a good composer, he's nowhere near as good as Uematsu or Sakuraba.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Didn't Uematsu do all the Final Fantasy games?

If so, I really dig his work.

Uematsu: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy games (except X-2)

Sakuraba: Star Ocean III, Baten Kaitos

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy