Duke Nukem Forever Being Released

Wut? It's not vaporware anymore? Golly gee gosh.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If Duke gets released it will suck. There is no way a game that has been anticipated for so long can live up to its hype. I smell an Unreal II, but of bigger proportions. :shifty:

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Never. Mention. That. Game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Good point Llyranor, I personally think it's been such a long time, the mainstream hype will have mostly melted away, with only perhaps older and more veteran gamers suddenly saying "Holy cripes, I remember being really excited by this game once!" and going out to see just what it's like. Incredible to think that the entirety of the Quake, Serious Sam and Half-Life franchises have come into being and flourished since Duke3d was released (possibly even after Duke4 was announced as well it seems) - 3DRealms are going to have to do something very good to impress the majority of customers in what is already a crowded market.

Tis why I'm waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. instead...

Come get some!

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Well, Prey went from vaporware and a canceled title in the 90's to win a Best of E3 award this year, and is slated for release.

Can the same thing happen with Duke Nukem Forever now?

PC Gamer had an article an issue or two ago, when they went to see Prey. They mentioned they saw the game, and it actually looks pretty good. If I find the article I'll dig up a snippet or two.

From PC Gamer, June 2005 Edition, page 34:

After years of annoucements, unveilings, disappearances, re-announcements, and eventual limbo, Duke has finally materialized......[George] Broussard says: "The short version is that after a lot of false starts, we regrouped and threw out everything in late 2002, and moved forward with our own rendering technology on top of Unreal.  We've been moving forward and are making progress and are on-track since that decision was made.  Most of the weapons and creatures are done.  Most of the levels exist, and there's a ton of gameplay.  We're in the process of pulling it all together, and very much look forward to showing it off.  It won't be vaporware much longer."

We were treated to a demo of various "interactions" between Duke and the environments, and all of them ring true to the classic interactivity of Duke Nukem 3D.  We can't spill the beans yet on the specifics, but needless to say, this is very much the Duke we all came to know and love in 1996.......our 20-minute walkthrough of Duke Nukem Forever convinced us that 3D Realms is going to lay a full house on the table in 2006, just in time for the 10th anniversery of Duke Nukem 3D.

A little bit of me would really like this title to kick serious booty....but we'll see I suppose ^_^

Duke Nukem, Blood, et al > all.

I just hope DNF doesn't do a "Blood 2"- even though to be fair, that game was rather okayish.

"Open for business!"

"Sonuvabitches must pay!"

"EheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

"I... live... again!"

Etc etc. Christ, those were some classic gaming moments, right there. Cheesy one-liners > u.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

By the way, for those of you n00bz that haven't played the aforementioned "Blood", here's a lil' link to a certain abandonware site containing one of the best shooters ever made. Perfectly legal... or so I am told.

http://www.abandonia.com/games/103/Blood.htm

Download, install, and get ready to kick some zombie ass. ;)