German Words

EnderAndrew

From my article on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A592643#portmanteau

I'm impressed, you should keep writing, because such a level of literacy is not common. Also, there is some humour in there!

Asimov was an inveterate punner, and he wrote a short story about why puns were not received as well as they might be.

It was about the lifecycle of memes, IIRC, and their measurements; the "other intelligence" that created memes in human culture used the endless repitition of jokes as a metric. Puns, as an independent form of humour, only interfered with the process, and so had been hardwired as "unfunny", to avoid excessive interference.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

German is a cool language, no question about it. Too bad I didn't pay more attention in school, damnit.

Oh and Kaftan, Obersturmbahnf

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Oh and Kaftan, Obersturmbahnf

post-4899-1121205172_thumb.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Even though I dont look very nazi(Im quite dark)I dont think Ill be wearing it in public actually, except maybe on synth clubs etc where such paraphernalia can be safely worn without anyone ever thinking it has anything to do with neo-fascism.

But I felt kind of weird sitting in my room, listening to Wagner and sewing on the insignia. :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But I felt kind of weird sitting in my room, listening to Wagner and sewing on the insignia. :p

:x I'd be forced to rethink my worldview a bit, if I was ever faced with a situation like that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, its an SS rank title. They were very keen on having "sturm" in everything. I think it means something like "Assault path leader". All the crooks in WW2 b-films are Obersturmbahnf

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Even though I dont look very nazi(Im quite dark)I dont think Ill be wearing it in public actually, except maybe on synth clubs etc where such paraphernalia can be safely worn without anyone ever thinking it has anything to do with neo-fascism.

But I felt kind of weird sitting in my room, listening to Wagner and sewing on the insignia. :thumbsup:

As long as you didn't have any overwelming urges to annex the Sudetenland, you should be fine.

"We had a few drinks, a few laughs ... next thing you know we're in Czechoslovakia ..."

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If it was a party that would explain why we Brits didn't understand and tried to shut it down. You young hooligans with your stukas, and hand grenades! Some of us have work in the morning!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 year later...

And to celebrate, here is another I just picked up from Russell, in his review of Kant: Anschauung. No surprises that the Germans have a shedload of epistemological terms not previously dreamt of in other languages, and (of course) pilfered by English.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Weltanschauung is another one.

My personal favourites are Tonnies' Gemeinschaft and Gemellschaft. Very simplistically, means rural / small communities and urban societies... except there's like half a syllable of difference.

I'm just pleased that as well as the more obvious anglo-saxon words, we've managed to export the word 'fluffy'.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.