Microsoft to Make Games for Nintendo

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/07/news_6128695.html

Apparently Rare, owned by Microsoft and part of Microsoft Gaming Studios is making games for the Nintendo DS.

Rare used to make a lot of Nintendo stuff. Since being taken over by MS they have been quite mediocre releases. Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Conker (which is an old game remixed rather than anything new). Kameo is in limbo having been for the Xbox and now switched over to the 360.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/07/news_6128695.html

Apparently Rare, owned by Microsoft and part of Microsoft Gaming Studios is making games for the Nintendo DS.

Rare used to make a lot of Nintendo stuff. Since being taken over by MS they have been quite mediocre releases. Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Conker (which is an old game remixed rather than anything new). Kameo is in limbo having been for the Xbox and now switched over to the 360.

That's what happens when you leave the all-powerful and most-holy Nintendo. Suddenly everything sucks, as the gods of gaming turn an unfavourable eye toward you. Yea, so it was in our fathers time, and in our grandfathers time (though it was then the gods of carpentry), and so it shall be in ours. Microsoft is the Great Satan, so the holy books tell us, and so the gods have commanded.

Amen.

:(

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Some have suggested the 360 will be able to connect to the PSP and DS wirelessly.

That would be somewhat strange.

Would it? Verily, when the time doth come, the Evil One shall say his silent words of power, and our handheld holy talismans shall cease to function and lose their power, while the Most Dark Creator shall spread his evil talismans among the young, with promises of gore, and nudity, while endowing them with his dark Halos. And when all our younglings are corrupted, will our revolution fail? Will the word of his holyness the Super Nintendo be heard no more? Shall we fall into the dark blackness of the evil Box of X? Evil times are ahead of us, my children, but trust in Nintendo, and all shall be as he wills.

In the name of the Plumber, and of the Monkey, and of the Princess Zelda, Amen.

:sorceror:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I saw a beautiful SNES sitting in a garage sale yesterday for $5 with two controllers. It was clean and in nice condition. My wife insisted I had a SNES emulator on my XBox and I didn't need the SNES, and that the main entertainment center is a bit cluttered with the N64, PS1, PS2, GC, XBox, DVD, VCR, Tivo and stereo.

I saw a beautiful SNES sitting in a garage sale yesterday for $5 with two controllers.  It was clean and in nice condition.  My wife insisted I had a SNES emulator on my XBox and I didn't need the SNES, and that the main entertainment center is a bit cluttered with the N64, PS1, PS2, GC, XBox, DVD, VCR, Tivo and stereo.

That is rather cluttered. I'd suggest you remedy that problem by throwing out your PS1, PS2, and XBox. :D

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm thinking of throwing out the N64 and GC.

I have a N64 emulator on my XBox, and the GC just gathers dust.  My PS1 plays my PS1 "backups" that the PS2 doesn't play.

:(

But...but, if you throw out your Nintendos, you will be sent to gaming hell! You'll have to play games on a Sega CD and a Phantom for all eternity! Why wuld you willingly condemn yourself to such a fate?

Oh, gaming lord, please spare this man, for he knows not what he does!

I shall pray for you, that you might find your way back into the light.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Nintendo already said that the DS can link to Revolution and Revolution acts as a wi-fi spot for the DS.

Microsoft will never be allowed to make the Xbox 360 to act in the same way as Nintendo own Revolution in related to the DS, if they did DS owners would have less a reson to get Revolution.

drakron.png

Nintendo will be the cheap second console. Its will be a nice second console but Nintendo main market is handheld. Having two consoles being able to hook up your system is better then one for handheld. Nintendo gives 360 owners a reason to buy the DS. MS pervents sony from making more money in the handheld market. win/win for both companies.

Dont be a idiot, Nintendo is not marketing Revolution as a "2nd console", they always been on the market and thrown a lot of support towards their console.

In fact they forced publishers to make GameCube titles if they wanted to made Gameboy titles, that is the kind of support Nintendo put on their consoles.

Nintendo grip on handhelds come with Nintendo making consoles, there was never a strong rival for the Gameboy line and the DS is doing quite well, a lot due to Sony problems and mistakes with the PSP and the sheer stupidity of N-Gage design.

The PSP is not a rival to the DS (Sony even stated the PSP was not to compeate with the Nintendo handhelds) and I doubt Nokia can come out with anything that be a problem to Nintendo, the DS is a very well designed handheld and makes me wonder how Revolution will turn out, in fact I am looking foward to Revolution more that the PS3 and not oddly enough that appears to be the case in japan since everyone knew what the PS3 would end up as Revolution is a mystery.

I bet you were one of those that belived that Microsoft was going to buy Nintendo ...

drakron.png

Dont be a idiot, Nintendo is not marketing Revolution as a "2nd console", they always been on the market and thrown a lot of support towards their console.
Read: Having very small launch lineups, not releasing many games, putting out inferior hardware for similiar price points, etc. I loved how at E3 the new Gameboy turned out to be the exact same Gameboy we've had since the GBA. Let me get this straight. Sega released a full portable Genesis something like 14 years ago, and yet Nintendo can't beat that technology 14 years later?
In fact they forced publishers to make GameCube titles if they wanted to made Gameboy titles, that is the kind of support Nintendo put on their consoles.
Nintendo is only focused on profit, not pushing envelopes. GB titles require far less to develop, and have a higher profit margin. Why actually support their consoles? There are throngs of Nintendo fans who will buy a console for 3 must-have titles per generation.
Nintendo grip on handhelds come with Nintendo making consoles, there was never a strong rival for the Gameboy line and the DS is doing quite well, a lot due to Sony problems and mistakes with the PSP and the sheer stupidity of N-Gage design.
Personally, I don't think the PSP and DS compete with each other. Last time I checked the PSP is routinely sold out at most places, and most independent reviewers think the PSP is 5 times the device that the DS is. The DS launch lineup also blew in comparison to the PSP launch lineup. The DS is just now starting to get promising games. The DS is a $150 gaming handheld that does nothing else. The PSP is a $200 portable movie player, MP3 player and gaming handheld. It is a better gaming system to boot, that throws in the functionality of being a portable movie player and MP3 player for $50 and has the most beautiful portable screen I've ever seen.
...in fact I am looking foward to Revolution more that the PS3 and not oddly enough that appears to be the case in japan since everyone knew what the PS3 would end up as Revolution is a mystery.

Can you give me one good reason to look forward to the Revolution? Will it be horribly underpowered in the next generation? Yes. Are there any launch titles we know about other than Super Smash Brothers? No. Have they announced a single unique feature? No. They will have a free online service, just like Microsoft and Sony will have a free online service. Nintendo also clarified that you will pay to download and play old games. So their biggest feature is old games that I get to pay a second time for?

Did you notice how Nintendo sells classic NES games for $30 on the GBA? Or how they relrelease all the SNES titles on the GBA? Or how they are rereleasing N64 titles on the DS? And how they are going to keep milking the same titles over and over again, and fans think this is great!

I'll stick to emulators and stop giving money to a company that isn't giving me anything new to actually play. I bought the N64 specifically for Mario 64, and then watched the N64 fester largely unsupported for 5 years. I bought the GC hoping for a sequel that was promised to me for Mario 64, only to hear now that it might someday come out on another console. No thanks, I'll pass.

Thats why its going to be half the machines Ps3 or 360 will be :blink: Nintendo will get the hotel contracts and the price will be half of the other consoles.

Is that because publishers don't like make games for the gamecube because the smaller market share?

It might be when the gameboy came out but now Nintendo gets most its profits from its handheld.

The PSP is not a rival to the DS (Sony even stated the PSP was not to compeate with the Nintendo handhelds) and I doubt Nokia can come out with anything that be a problem to Nintendo, the DS is a very well designed handheld and makes me wonder how Revolution will turn out, in fact I am looking foward to Revolution more that the PS3 and not oddly enough that appears to be the case in japan since everyone knew what the PS3 would end up as Revolution is a mystery.

How can you not compete in portable video games market when they both make them? ;) unless sony doesn't think much of the DS.

I bet you were one of those that belived that Microsoft was going to buy Nintendo ...

I believe MS would at less try. Lets put it this way you don't make the money MS does with luck. Even if sony says its not rival to the DS system they are making the some products and people will choose one handheld over the other. Nintendo probably knows these and would want the biggest market share they can get. So Revolution owners and 360 owners will be interested in the DS.

Revolution probably going to be cheap and I'll probably buy one but i will have either PS3 or 360 even before it comes out. Revolution will be cheap but the games should be well made.

How can you not compete in portable video games market when they both make them? :)  unless sony doesn't think much of the DS.

The survey comes as the Nintendo DS broke through the million unit sales mark for 2005, with the console now around 45,000 units ahead of the PlayStation Portable in terms of sales since January 1st according to figures from market research firm Media Create.

Overall sales of the two consoles see the Nintendo DS with an 800,000 unit lead over its rival, with 2.4 million units sold as against 1.6 million units of the PSP according to Screen Digest figures.

The DS is ahead even more significantly in software terms, with 23 per cent of DS owners claiming to own more than six titles for their console, compared to just 11 per cent of PSP owners.

The PSP has some really good stuff but none of it is particularly suited to pick and play. The only reason I could see for owning a PSP right now is if you had to take a 2 hour train journey every day. It's also kind of flimsy and the screen is unprotected , so compared to the DS the design isnt very travel friendly. Ditto with having to cart around all those mini disks rather than the tiny DS cartridge (or even a GBA cart for that matter).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]