Please help! KotOR2 does not load...

I purchased KotOR2 a few days ago hoping to be able to play a cool RPG during my summer vacation.

Upon successful installation of the game and it's related patches and paraphernalia, I am greeted coldly by a "half loadup" when I try to run the game. The screen goes black for a second and appears to be loading the game, then it closes and returns to my desktop. It hates me enough to get my hopes up and THEN slap me in the face. I hate it when games do that to me.

Here's what I'm running:

2.5GHz Athlon 64 3200+

2x512MB PC3200 RAM

256MB ATi Radeon X800 XL

Windows Server 2003 (basically XP with some server stuff added and without that fruity blue theme)

Catalyst 5.6 display drivers

Here's what I've tried:

-using atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 4.2 (worked with KotOR1, so I thought I'd give it a try, but it didn't help)

-tried reinstalling and not updating the game (worked for a bit, but now I can't get in anymore.)

-tried updating after not being able to run game un-updated anymore (does not work)

-added "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to the Graphics Options section of swkotor2.ini (didn't make any difference at all)

If anyone out there has any more suggestions I'd be very willing to hear and try them.

I guess I'll try reinstalling the game and not updating again in the meantime to see if that works...

Thanks for caring! :(

Well, reinstalled game and didn't patch it... I just finished playing for 2 hours without a problem (still using same drivers and everything). I'll try playing it tomorrow to see if it still works. :blink:

What is the 'catalyst' program you speak off?

Catalyst is the "surname" that ATI video cards have given their latest series of drivers..

I use Nvidia cards, but I gotta say.. ATI gave their drivers a pretty kewl name :)

Catalyst sounds much kewler than Nvidia's "Forceware: Unified Driver Architecture" :-

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

What is the 'catalyst' program you speak off?

Catalyst is the "surname" that ATI video cards have given their latest series of drivers..

I use Nvidia cards, but I gotta say.. ATI gave their drivers a pretty kewl name ;)

Catalyst sounds much kewler than Nvidia's "Forceware: Unified Driver Architecture" >_<

Thanks! I was hoping it was a program that would enable me to run the game, but obviously not as I have the accursed SiS 650 integrated graphics card on my notebook.