No-CD Patch?

If memory serves, questions such as this have been asked here before and those threads haven't been locked.

Yes, for some reason, now I have an urge to open a thread asking where I can download the game. I'm not sure it would be closed either if posted in this forum.

What makes StarForce unbeatable is that unlike most game's copy protection schemes, it resides in not just the executable, but other files (the SF drivers that are installed "hook" into your IDE channels on your mobo to identify how many physical drives you have... As well as virtual drives... ) that make up the game itself like .ini files, sound files; even a .bik movie could have a sum check on it.

While most sum check schemes can be gotten around what is different with StarForce is that it comes with an unlock code that specific to that particular disc and installation and has to be verified right after installation and every time you play the game. A key-gen can't get around this because no one knows the algorithm that is used to generate the keys... And even if you managed to find a working unlock key, it probably would not match the image of the original game disc or DVD that the copy was made from.

Basically, what SF aims to do is two fold:

1) Isolate the activation of one disc per user via verification key code on install.

2) Prevent an actual image (.iso; .bin; mspd; etc.) of the disc of DVD from being copied in the first place and thus, distributed.

They seem to be doing a good job of this considering that these two areas are the "backbone" of the pirate scene more than any other format or process.

Also, the reason the earlier SF protection schemes were "hacked" was because they were still experimental. The new versions are not only fully integrated, but can be updated via the web (not even with the users knowledge if they have 24/7 broadband like most people) as well as any patch that a game producer makes can contain NEW check sums and verifications that weren't in the previous patch/version. So it is almost an air-tight system they've developed.

The only other copy protection scheme I know of that can't be cracked are the profesisonal level, high security schemes that require a USB key -- A physical key -- That is inserted into a USB port that unlocks the game either for the initial install, or whenever you play it.

VBS1 - Virtual Battlefield Systems is the only "game" -- it's not really a game; it is a training simulator -- That I know of that uses a USB key to unlock and I gurantee no one is going to try and burn a copy of this "game" for that reason alone (let alone it is a series of discs that total up to $300+ for the core files needed to run the sim).

Restricted Area. Uses StarForce (latest version I guess since it's a pretty new game) and I just came from playing it, without CDs, as usual. So much for your invincible copy protection... :-"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

(Disclaimer: The following does not condone software piracy. It is merely what I have heard concerning this topic.)

Actually, SF may be cracked soon. The reason why most groups gave up on it was because they usually compete with each other in terms of how many games they put out and not necessarily what is being cracked. SC:CT simply took too long to do, so most groups gave up. However, I believe there are still many groups that are working on it.

And I pretty much agree with the previous posters; SF has ridiculous compatibility problems and security issues that need to be dealt with.

The best way to beat software piracy is not to use restrictive technology; underground markets and resources are indicators that the current system has severe problems that producers are not willing to address realistically. Rather, the producers must realize that the current model does not work for obvious reasons (ie. Price, Quality, etc) and must provide alternatives.

One way is to simply do it like a "rental" system or something similar to an MMORPG. I'm sure those of you who do pirate games don't play it more than a month or so and delete it from your computer. For the law-abiding citizens, like myself, buying a game for 69.99, playing it for about a month or so, and reselling for less than half the value is a pretty bad deal. In fact, that's the number one reason why I don't buy computer games anymore and just rent PS2 games instead. Why not, instead of having a huge box price, set up a system to download the game and pay a small monthly "rental" fee. For the producers, there's a huge reduction in overhead fees (except for bandwidth) and customers can pick and choose their games without wasting money.

The system does exist to an extent in the form of demos. You can sample the gameplay for free, and yet the software company doesn't have to worry about you pirating the full version of the game simply from a demo.

I think the best way to combat piracy is to offer incentive to buy the full version, such as online play, or additional content for registered versions of the software.

I heard someone quote John Carmack as saying the best defense against software piracy is quality software.

I can agree to a point, but at the same time I don't know *anyone* (myself included) that actually owned Quake 2. And all id Games since Q3A (both of them :)) have CD Keys, soooo :lol:

Restricted Area. Uses StarForce (latest version I guess since it's a pretty new game) and I just came from playing it, without CDs, as usual. So much for your invincible copy protection... :)"

This is an older version of StarForce than SC:CT and others. Just like Vampire The Masquarade used an older version.

I love it when people immediately try and "one up" someone without doing their research first.

----

RE: Piracy in general...

The big issue that needs addressing is most of the leaked copies that hit the internet weeks before the retail release come from INSIDE the actual game companies themselves. In a lot of cases, there is no other way a copy of the game could have been distributed without it having come from inside the company... OR from their distribution chain (some stores like EB and others get advanced copies and their employees play these games early and that is another source of the pirating right there).

However, a lot of the big game publishers and devs don't want to admit this because it means they'd have to admit there is a problem on THEIR end regarding security measures and it is always easier to blame someone else (the pirates) for problems that they should be taking care of in the first place.

I am not condoning piracy, but acknowledging a very real factor here that no one ever talks about and is the real root of the piracy issue as far as game devs and publishers are concerned.

Also, the games industry is just like mainstream Hollywood in they produce a lot of crappy products and when people don't go to the movies (and don't buy and just pirate games) they always blame the consumer instead of looking at themselves and admitting they aren't putting out very good products that warrant the public's hard earned money to begin with. Instead, they point fingers at movies being downloaded off the net as the "real" source of why overpaid and undertalented actors like Ashton Kutcher can only make $10 million per picture and not $20 million. It's a ridiculous system -- both the movie and games industry -- and full of hypocracy if we are going to be blunt.

Honestly, what was the last game you bought in the last two, three years you thought was worth it?

The only one that fits this criteria in my mind is UT2004 because it is a complete package out-of-the-box and warrants a $50 USD price tag at launch. UT2004 has SP, MP, CO-OP, over 32 maps, Bot Support, Editing Tools and even the SDK shortly after initial sales. To me, that is "bang for my buck"...

Unlike most games... Be they either MP or SP... Where you're left scratching your head wondering why is this game priced so high since there isn't even half the content that was promised AND or the content you do have is so buggy it might was well be a beta, post-alpha release...

So, in essence, I whole heartedly agree that the cure for piracy is producing quality products.... But that is not the mainstream game industry right now. Quantity -- Like the umpteenth billion sequel to the latest sports franchise or FPS -- Is more important to big corporations/publishers than quality...

As evidenced by KOTOR II if we are going to be blunt.

Honestly, what was the last game you bought in the last two, three years you thought was worth it?

Since I always read a lot of tests from reliable magazines (there is still some in France), I tend to buy worthy games. If not, I buy them when the price is dropped. For example, I saw Vampire Bloodlines sold at 30

This is an older version of StarForce than SC:CT and others. Just like Vampire The Masquarade used an older version.

I love it when people immediately try and "one up" someone without doing their research first.

Missing my point, as usual. What is important is that there is a No-CD patch available for games released only recently. That's all that matters. :devil:)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Missing my point, as usual. What is important is that there is a No-CD patch available for games released only recently. That's all that matters. :-)

But that is NOT the point and it DOES matter.

The StarForce used on "Restricted Area" is an OLDER version (3.0.x). It is an exprimental version and therefore, had some holes in it. It is also the cheaper of the SF protection packages game publishers and devs can buy.

The version newer games like SC:CT and future games are going to have is called "Professional and Commercial Level Security Measures" aka SF 4.0.x., and that HAS NOT been cracked yet and probably won't be for the reasons I went into before.

You are trying to make a case and generalize about SF when there are varying factors and that is the distinction that needs to be made, here.

Games in the last 3 years that I felt were worth it?

Rome: Total War

Medieval: Total War

Half-Life 2

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Gooooo co-op....but also the best story/gameplay of the bunch)

Hearts of Iron 2

Silent Hunter 3

Battlefield 1942

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars

....and that about exhausts the entire list of games I bought in the last 3 years.

Games that I felt weren't worth the money that I bought:

Battlefield: Vietnam

I'm sure I have more....but I can't see them in my game storage area.

But that is NOT the point and it DOES matter.

The StarForce used on "Restricted Area" is an OLDER version (3.0.x). It is an exprimental version and therefore, had some holes in it. It is also the cheaper of the SF protection packages game publishers and devs can buy.

The version newer games like SC:CT and future games are going to have is called "Professional and Commercial Level Security Measures" aka SF 4.0.x., and that HAS NOT been cracked yet and probably won't be for the reasons I went into before.

You are trying to make a case and generalize about SF when there are varying factors and that is the distinction that needs to be made, here.

You still have to prove that this new version of SF is any more unbeatable than the previous ones. Those were defeated shortly after they were put into use, and people are already getting to work on SF4.

It's only a matter of time before your shiny SF4 bites the dust. And quite frankly, I can't wait.

SF4 will be cracked, mark my words. The only thing holding it back is time.

And concerning Bloodlines, that game isn't even worth 10 cents. A lot of people defend Troika and all that, but after playing ToEE and Arcanum and seeing their sloppy code.... :(

"Honestly, what was the last game you bought in the last two, three years you thought was worth it?"

I find it funny how you say "only one that fits this criteria", when no more than one game could possibly be the last game bought.

Mount & Blade -- totally worth

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

You still have to prove that this new version of SF is any more unbeatable than the previous ones. Those were defeated shortly after they were put into use, and people are already getting to work on SF4.

It's only a matter of time before your shiny SF4 bites the dust. And quite frankly, I can't wait.

I know you're trying to be the cool rebel here and "go along with the crowd"...

But technicaly speaking, the reason it won't be is because of the multi-part encryption that SF 4 has going for it that other copy protection schemes do not.

This is a factor whether you want to admit it, or not.

It is also the real reason none of the "scene" groups have cracked it.

They can front all they want about it not being worth it, or not having time to compete, blah, blah, blah. The fact is they couldn't do it because it is not a simple exec hack like most protection schemes are.

The only known workaround for SF 4 involves the use of USB external drives.

I know you're trying to be the cool rebel here and "go along with the crowd"...

But technicaly speaking, the reason it won't be is because of the multi-part encryption that SF 4 has going for it that other copy protection schemes do not.

This is a factor whether you want to admit it, or not.

It is also the real reason none of the "scene" groups have cracked it.

They can front all they want about it not being worth it, or not having time to compete, blah, blah, blah. The fact is they couldn't do it because it is not a simple exec hack like most protection schemes are.

The only known workaround for SF 4 involves the use of USB external drives.

I know you're trying to be the obnoxious know-it-all here, as usual.

But from what I've read, DT 4 will include SF emulation. So... yeah.

There is no such thing as an unbeatable security system, and there will never be. Keep dreaming.

No, the theory is that instead of trying to be one-step ahead of hackers and spending tons of money on security, you operate with a micro-budget and use ancient technology. Often hackers can't deal with really old security measures and get thwarted by really simple means.

Imagine metaphorically uber-hackers who can pick any electronic lock being stopped by a standard mechanical lock. That's the theory.