War of the Worlds

Me too, it doesn't bore me when watched again like so many other movies of it's kind.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

His innocence is what makes the film.

His limited intelligence prevents him from having any bad thoughts, and loves completely unconditionally.

It's one of the few movies that gets me choked up.

Schlinder's List, another Spielburg film is pretty good at that.

Some compare War of the Worlds to Schindler's List for emotional impact, and sure the loss of life is there, but I don't think it is the same. There is too much quick shock value and tension for the other emotions to seep in.

Schindler's List was a great movie.

I actually "missed" an English class one day, and I found out we were watching Schindler's List (which I hadn't seen at the time), and was disappointed. Fortunately, there was questions we needed to answer, so I was motivated into renting it and watching it for myself.

Apparently people "laughed" when the one lady was shot in the head and blood squirted everywhere, because apparently my classmates "knew" that it should only be a bit of blood. Apparently the ignore the fact that there's a giant artery flowing up to our head so that we can live and all that fun stuff.

By this time I was already pretty disenfrachised with high school, so it was just the icing on the cake.

I really, really enjoyed the movie though...and is one that definitely gets me choked up as well.

Although almost anything with a somewhat decent representation of World War 2 usually does.

Band of Brothers brings out the emotion in me, whether it be watching the guys go AWOL from their hospital to be with their unit, to watching poor Eugene lose a rare bright spot in the nurse at the Bastogne aid station.

I liked his hesitation when about to use her bandana as a bandage...but I got the impression that he felt it would be what she would have wanted, so used it anyway

. When wade gets shot in Saving Private Ryan, and starts crying out "Momma" is pretty emotional for me too....and I was one of the few people that felt sorry for Cpl. Upham when he froze on the staircase....and I like the fact that the German soldier that saw him there realized he wasn't a threat, and just let him be. I liked the whole opening scene as well, as it didn't seem to pull any punches, and it showed that the American's weren't all heroic and all, in that they shot unarmed soldiers that were surrendering as well, and made fun of him in the process.

and I was one of the few people that felt sorry for Cpl. Upham when he froze on the staircase....and I like the fact that the German soldier that saw him there realized he wasn't a threat, and just let him be.

I felt for him too, but I think you kindof missed the point of that scene. The German soldier didn't let him be because he wasn't a threat. Remember the scene where they take a German POW, and Upham convinces them that just killing him was wrong, and they let him go? Same German. He's returning the favour.

It wasn't the same German that spared him.

That same German is shown a little bit later, after Upham has left the staircase, and when Upham gets brave and cuts them off from running away, he pulls the gun down from his face and gives him an evil glare. The soldier, who had just shot Captain Miller, looks at him and says "Upham!" at which point Upham (rightfully?) puts a shot into his chest, and tells the other German soldiers to move along.

The German that spared Upham was absolutely not the same guy....he had a uniform with more green on it than gray, and more hair.

It was the same guy :p

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

I just loaded up the DVD!

And it's most obvious in the uniforms. The dude on the stairs that kills Private Mellish with the knife is wearing a Waffen-SS uniform (as indicated by his uniform), whereas the "Steamboat Willie" guy is clearly in the standard gray uniform.

The stride...tripod call was so damn ominous.

I know where they got the sound effect for that call. It was the plumbing in the mens washroom at the cinema I went to. It was kind of wierd because just as I went in someone was coming out and the automatic flush kicked in. The plumbing made the exact same sound that the tripods did. If I didn't know that there was only one screen showing the movie at this place and it had just ended I would have sworn I was hearing the movie through the walls. :cool:

It's damn shame I wasn't a 12-yearer when watching this movie. It would have been a blast.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I really liked the film. :D I thought Spielberg did a great job, and it far exceeded my expectations. I really loved how he depicted the tripods, and is it just me, or does the sound they make sound a little like the ship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind? And they were super-ominous. One of my favorite scenes was where you see the tripod in full view for the first time. (w00t)

The special effects were intense, yet they weren't the only part of the movie that was good. I thought the acting and drama felt very real in many scenes.

Unfortunately, I agree that the ending was a tad rushed, and they didn't explain at all how his son made it back alive, especially after that huge battle scene. And his daughter was just annoying, I thought. All she ever did was complain and act like a little priss. :angry: Yeah, there were some fallacies and inconsistancies, but I thought it was a great film. :p

Im not going to bother with this one, its just a damn rape of the original concept. And that damn dirty Hubbologist.. I mean Scientologist psycho Cruise aint exactly my cup of tea.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Any part where a tripod appears in a creepy or awesome way. From underground, out from the trees, and from underwater. The pictures were just so ominous.

It wasn't the same German that spared him.

That same German is shown a little bit later, after Upham has left the staircase, and when Upham gets brave and cuts them off from running away, he pulls the gun down from his face and gives him an evil glare.  The soldier, who had just shot Captain Miller, looks at him and says "Upham!" at which point Upham (rightfully?) puts a shot into his chest, and tells the other German soldiers to move along.

The German that spared Upham was absolutely not the same guy....he had a uniform with more green on it than gray, and more hair.

Yes, he is. You can CLEARLY recognize his face when he's killing Mellish. Knowing how he wasn't able to do it before and it cost Mellish his life is THE driving force that pushes Upham to shoot him afterall now. If you can't recognize him, you have an eye problem.