KotOR II Movie/Music Patch Coming Soon

Why do both sites have a 'UGO' symbol on them? Both FilePlanet and GameBanshee have a 'UGO' symbol on all of the pages. What is this?

Fileplanet doesnt, look at the bottom it clearly states

Copyright 1996-2005, IGN Entertainment, Inc.

As for gamebanshee it states at the bottom

Copyright

Guest MacleodCorp
Why do both sites have a 'UGO' symbol on them? Both FilePlanet and GameBanshee have a 'UGO' symbol on all of the pages. What is this?

Fileplanet doesnt, look at the bottom it clearly states

Copyright 1996-2005, IGN Entertainment, Inc.

As for gamebanshee it states at the bottom

Copyright

If you notice, I haven't posted in a while...

Namely because this game is dead.

Yeah, I am going to dust off that old cliche... Because in this case, it really is the truth.

KOTOR2 is not a MP game like Guild Wars, or NWN.

There is no real community to keep it going.

You play through it twice (Light/Dark) and that's about all she wrote. There is a mod community... But come on. Most of the mods just add additions to the game that are personal "wants" and needs, I.E. My Exile can use Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber hilt. I can have cool new "made up" Force powers. Wow. Big deal. None of those change the butchered story whatsoever.

However, the main reason I am posting is because as much as the fanboys and perhaps OE doesn't want to admit... Their reputation is severely tarnished now and they are going to have to work double the amount they normally may have had to rebuild that reputation with NWN2 and possibly KOTOR III if they get the contract (Side Rant: Get a company who actually LIKES the SW universe to do a SW RPG in the near future!).

We can justify their problems with the realities of the game industry and the slave-labor type conditions most devs have to work under... BUT, as someone said, release as many buggy games as there have been and people eventually have enough and it will eventually come to bite them in the arse just like Troika and other startup dev houses.

They are also part of the group, which FilePlanet is apart of, and they steal mods from their original source, and then distribute them.

Secondly, FilePlanet is owned by GameSpy, who has been purchased by IGN Entertainment. I'm not sure what this "group" is that you're talking about, but neither UGO or GameBanshee are affiliated with FilePlanet in any way.

The 'group' of folks who 'steal' mods are various users who think they are being helpful by placing things on a central file network. Most often without asking first, because, they are nice folks who don't quite grasp the concept of 'Intellectual Property' just yet. GameSpy has been quite prompt about removing those files when they discover that they are 'rip-offs'. At least that's been my experience with them and MW mods.

GameBanshee is one of the 'smaller' (smaller in that, they aren't a Network of them) WebPresses for games. But, they are a WebPress, and unless my memory really failed me, they've had a friendly relationship with Bioware and BIS devs for quite some time, so new comments arriving there wouldn't really surprise me. Of course, that said, I'm not too optimistic with any LA related product now.

Between both of you, I agree with '6 Foot Invisible Rabbit'.

But... those posts aren't even opposed to each other in any meaningful way... ;)

What do you not agree with anyway?

Do you disagree that the two sites contain the text he cites and that Fileplanet doesn't have a UGO logo?

Do you disagree that game sites have access to sources most people don't?

Guest MacleodCorp

At this moment, I am going to apologize for my statement, which turned out to be an insult. Only the insult portion. However, the questions are very sound: Who is GameBanshee? What makes them an authority on Lucas Arts and ObsidianEnt? What makes their statements legit?

Now, as a customer, we have been promised a patch release, and Patch 1.0b was released. During the release day, we were promised another Patch release, which would take place in two days from the original releae, and that did not happen.

Mr. Morgan means well, and he is probally as eager to see the patch's release as we are. Now, who's fault is it for the lack of a sound and movie patch. It is Lucas Arts! Lucas Arts told Obsidian Ent. that the patch would be released very 'soon' or 'in the next few days', and it has not been done. Now, I have to apologize, for I have been disappointed in the past. GameBanshee maybe a reliable source, but as a customer, and considering the curcomstances, I would rather hear from Lucas Arts or Obsidian when they will be releasing the next patch.

Edited: From Article:

...according to John, the patch could make it into gamers' hands as early as next week.

What does this mean? It means Lucas Arts has made contact with Obsidian Ent., and has told them a time period, which the patch may make it to the public. Now, who's fault is it if the patch is not released in this time frame: Lucas Arts.

Now, where does GameBanshee some into this? They are an outside source, which created a quick articled that is based upon a statement, which may or may have not, come from Obsidian. Since promises have been made to the public, in the past, I the customer would rather hear it from the game developers and/or publishers.

In closing, I should not have attacked GameBanshee and I apologize. However, my questions are valid: Who are they? What do they do? Why are they an authority in the gaming indusry?

----------------------------------------------------------------

My 'UGO' statement is also valid. As a web/graphic designer, I have been taught that the logo must be placed in the upper left hand corner of the site. Since American textbooks are read left-to-right, top-to-bottom, the impression that GameBanshee is making is that they are an affiliate of 'UGO'. However, as I learned it is not true. Since the 'UGO' logo is the dominate image, at the top, one could conclude that the company is owned by 'UGO'. However, this is not the case, and GameBanshee is accidently sending the wrong impression. GameBanshee maybe a great company, and they should put their company logo in that location.

Unless, they want people to get confussed!!

Thank you for your time, and my humble apology,

DarthMacLeod

Who is GameBanshee? What makes them an authority on Lucas Arts and ObsidianEnt? What makes their statements legit?

GameBanshee is just an RPG content site that I started several years ago. Our KotOR coverage has been very popular, and because of this, we have received literally hundreds of emails inquiring about the whereabouts of the content patch. After learning that the patch was gearing up for release during a recent chat with John Morgan (the Obsidian developer who physically compiled the patch), I thought it would be in the best interest of our community to let them know.

Why are they an authority in the gaming indusry?

GameBanshee is not any more of an authority in the gaming industry than any other gaming site on the web. However, after working with so many RPG developers over the years, a lot of them are willing to share information with us before releasing it publically.

My 'UGO' statement is also valid. As a web/graphic designer, I have been taught that the logo must be placed in the upper left hand corner of the site. Since American textbooks are read left-to-right, top-to-bottom, the impression that GameBanshee is making is that they are an affiliate of 'UGO'. However, as I learned it is not true. Since the 'UGO' logo is the dominate image, at the top, one could conclude that the company is owned by 'UGO'. However, this is not the case, and GameBanshee is accidently sending the wrong impression. GameBanshee maybe a great company, and they should put their company logo in that location.

I could write volumes about the current state of web advertising, but the bottom line is that UGO is by far the best entertainment ad supplier on the internet. In order to be part of their advertising network, though, they require that all of their major contributors place the UGO ad in the upper left corner. You'll see a UGO logo at other gaming sites, too, but this doesn't mean that UGO owns them. Take a look at Blue's News, for example.

Administrator of GameBanshee

Coverage for many RPGs, including Star Wars: KotOR II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Alpha Protocol

Guest MacleodCorp

That kind of stinks that they require a logo in the left corner..I can understand the complication of this!

Guest MacleodCorp
After learning that the patch was gearing up for release during a recent chat with John Morgan (the Obsidian developer who physically compiled the patch), I thought it would be in the best interest of our community to let them know.

For that I can thank you!

Guest MacleodCorp

GameBanshee Article:

KotOR II Movie/Music Patch Coming Soon

Posted Tuesday, July 5 at 16:49 PM CST

Obsidian's John Morgan has confirmed to us that the Star Wars: KotOR II patch containing higher quality in-game movies and music will be released in the near future. In fact, according to John, the patch could make it into gamers' hands as early as next week.

Keep in mind that this patch will not address any gameplay issues or bugs, but instead focus entirely on implementing the promised higher resolution movies and improved bit rate music.

I just wanted to clear one thing up...

If you read the article is says:

"In fact, according to John, the patch could make it into gamers' hands as early as next week."

Now that means it could come out as soon as, what is now, this week, and as late as next year. You see the words that were used indicates that it is possible for this week, but it could still take a while longer. This statement indicates an unknown time, so please be happy that it will come out, but don't be upset if you still don't see the patch for a while.

Guest MacleodCorp
Wow, might aswell said SOON then, instead of that...

As it clearly is written that it seems to say "Next Week"...

"As Early As" Next Week. Actually, the statement does not appear to say "Next Week", but "Next Week" as the earliest date of release. Therefore, your statement is correct when you said, "They should have said "SOON"."

You know, they could argue that they said, "Next Week The Earliest", but never said that it would actually be out next week... Get it!

Maybe Mr. Morgan can clearify this!?!?

"As Early As" Next Week. Actually, the statement does not appear to say "Next Week", but "Next Week" as the earliest date of release. Therefore, your statement is correct when you said, "They should have said "SOON"."

You know, they could argue that they said, "Next Week The Earliest", but never said that it would actually be out next week... Get it!

When I first read it I thought it said "In the coming week"...

If you just read it fast it looks like it says so (Not going to intensively read every line or the whole message twice...)

And others seem also to have read "In the coming week"

Damn, now it's just a

Soon

in Disguise

Wordtwisting; An Obsidian Entertainment Feat...

:thumbsup:
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds