Craving a Post-Apocalyptic setting RPG

Lancer

I know we are talking nearly 30 years ago but what do you all know about Twilight 2000? Is it a good post-apocalyptic setting? Is it Fallout-esque in style at all?

I am pretty sure that one is likely hard to locate as well.

Twilight 2000 is certainly Post-Apocalyptic in that there's been WW3 and a nuclear exchange. However, it doesn't have the typical "wackiness" that people want when they speak of "Post-Apocalyptic" settings. There's like no giant scorpions or hordes of shambling mutants. No hidden US bases where they're testing powered armor or anything like that. It's pretty much GDW's attempt to create a "realistic" P-A RPG (back in the late 1980s all the way to like 2000 or so when they finally gave it up). It's was a big hit with the military crowd.

If anything, think David Brin's "The Postman" more than "Wasteland." The world is unrelentingly grim, though some of the speculated events in the world are laughable (especially the scenarios of the later editions of Twilight:2000). The US is in a three-way near Civil War between the Military Government that seized control after the Civilian one collapsed, a shaky Civilian government with pretty dubious claims to authority, and New America who are white supremacists. What land the three factions don't control (and their enclaves are shrinking, with the exception of New America) are controlled by marauders. While the rest of the world (with the exception of Poland) is not covered anywhere in the same depth as the US, there's various materials of varying quality which describe what happens to the rest of the world.

---

Gamma World isn't Fallout. In Gamma World, the Apocalypse occurs waaaay later, I have the first edition of that game lying around somewhere (yeah, I'm that old :) ). I think it's at least after like 2200AD or something. If Fallout is a projection of what if WW3 occured in 1950, Gamma World is more like the movie version of HG Well's "Time Traveler" filmed in like the 1960s I think. Stuff is supposedly so advanced they have stuff like blaster weapons and 'black ray guns' and personal cars that can fly you to the moon and so forth.

Yeah, that would be Gamma World. It's filled with advanced technology. ...And it's quite wacky.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm surprised there isn't a d20 Fallout game out :lol:

Seems like everything else is being converted to d20 :wub:

I am surprised about that too, though I think it is for the better. :wub:

There are other P-A attempts like d20 Gamma World and Apocalypse, but thankfully, no d20 Fallout. :p

image002.gifLancer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fishboot

What about the Palladium games? I think Rifts and After the Bomb are at least nominally post-apocalyptic.

Note that both of these games come out of my, "I saw it in Dragon magazine in the early '90s" mental file, so their current availability is probably pretty slim.