Craving a Post-Apocalyptic setting RPG

Lancer

AFAIK, there has never really been an offically published PnP game in a post-apocalyptic setting (a la Fallout). The closest thing to this genre would be cyberpunk but still it is not post-apocalyptic.

I do realize that there have been various Fallout PnP games made by different people.. Does anyone have any recommendations on which ones of these is best?

The other thing I was wondering is can you successfully just utilize the SPECIAL system as is from the actual CRPGS and make a PnP game out of that? Has anyone tried this or are there serious balance issues?

image002.gifLancer

What do you mean "never really"?! I seem to recall a little gem called Wastelands by Lancelot Games.. or was that only in Swedish? Perhaps it was.

wlfrontl.jpg

I know J.E Saywer has a variant of SPECIAL for PnP somewhere. Ive looked at it but never played it. And I know MCA played many parts of both Fallouts as PnP with his friends, I have no idea what ruleset he used though.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sawyer has (unfinished) Fallout pnp rules in his sig. I think he'll turn up in this thread eventually.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I know it's not ideal, but why do you need a special RPG for a post-apoocalypse setting?

I always perfer my referee to come up with somethig of their own anyway. You can use any rule system you like.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ender: Fair point, on reflection. I guess a class system, for example would have trouble switching too easily. My advice would be to pick a system you know and enjoy, and then just write a campaign using free acccess material on things like fiction, and government building plans. Picture a colourful market in the roofless chamber of Congress, that sort of thing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If the style of gaming you are shooting for is quick and cinematic, then I urge against using a cumbersome rules system, though some people really enjoy systems that have rules for blinking and pissing at the same time.

At the same time, in a really complex environment, a rather complex system might be more appropriate.

Certain systems also have mechanics (such as the storyteller system rewarding Willpower points for properly roleplaying your nature) that require and reward proper roleplaying.

Gamma World does look somewhat interesting though I certainly wouldn't want to run it under d20.

There is no way to get one of the earlier editions of it aside from ebay is there?

image002.gifLancer

I know we are talking nearly 30 years ago but what do you all know about Twilight 2000? Is it a good post-apocalyptic setting? Is it Fallout-esque in style at all?

I am pretty sure that one is likely hard to locate as well.

image002.gifLancer

I used to love gamma world. If Sawyer ever finishes the Fallout system, then I'll get it. At least I'm far more likely to buy it than Gauntlet.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I used to love gamma world.  If Sawyer ever finishes the Fallout system, then I'll get it.  At least I'm far more likely to buy it than Gauntlet.

I hear that Gamma World d20 sucks. What version did you play?

And is it similar to the Fallout world or is it quite different?

image002.gifLancer

The Gamma World setting of 20+ years ago was far different from Fallout. Fallout is grittier and more despairing. Gamma World was a kind of release from the high fantasy of DnD without really making any sweeping changes to the genre. At least that's how I recall it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Learn swedish play mutant you know you want to :)

(the original version of mutant was something of a port of gammaworld I think, but as I have never played gamma world I cant say how similar they are).