Japanese Eater Takes Hot Dog Eating Contest Again

jaguars4ever

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article....S00010000000001

NEW YORK (July 4) - For the fifth straight year, it was a victory Takeru Kobayashi could truly relish.

Kobayashi, 27, captured the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest Monday, gobbling a nauseating 49 dogs in 12 minutes - but missing his own world record of 53 1/2, set at last year's July Fourth competition.

The win means the coveted Mustard Yellow Belt will return to Japan for the ninth year out of the past 10. New Jersey's Steve Keiner, who won in 1999, is the only American to capture the title in the past decade.

Kobayashi, of Nagano, stands 5 feet 7 inches and weighs just 144 pounds.

The runner-up was Sonya Thomas of Alexandria, Va. - known as The Black Widow on the competitive-eating circuit - who set an American record by downing 37 hot dogs in the same 12 minutes.

Thomas, who manages a Burger King restaurant, separates the hot dog from the bun and eats them separately. She dips the bun in water to make it easier to swallow with less chewing.

"I want to be No. 1 in the world, so I practice," she told CNN shortly after the contest. "I'm working on more speed."

She said she was planning a light dinner - maybe a salad.

"My stomach doesn't hurt," she said, "but my jaw is tired."

Thomas, who weighs a remarkable 105 pounds, is a rising speed-eating star. Last December in Atlantic City, N.J., she finished off 89 meatballs - about six pounds' worth - in 12 minutes. And in August, she captured a lobster-eating contest in Maine by consuming 38 of the creatures in 12 minutes.

The hot dog contest takes place outside the original Nathan's in Coney Island. The contest was first held there in 1916.

07/04/05 14:14 EDT

----

There's a video on that link, though the best was easily the poll:

Which athlete is more dominant in their sport?

• Lance Armstrong in cycling

• Roger Federer in tennis

• Takeru Kobayashi in competitive eating

• Other

^_^

manthing2.jpg

There's a video on that link, though the best was easily the poll:

Which athlete is more dominant in their sport?

• Lance Armstrong in cycling 

• Roger Federer in tennis 

• Takeru Kobayashi in competitive eating 

• Other

^_^

Definitely Lance Armstrong. That guy has a lot of heart and I hope he wins the Tour de France again. This is his 7th time in it, right?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Lance is a stud. There is no taking away from that. The dude came off his death bed to win one of the most grueling physical contests in the world six times over again.

However, most cyclists compete year round, and aren't in peak shape for the Tour. Lance doesn't compete in hardly any other events and trains only for the Tour. While his victories have been impressive, from a pure domination standpoint no athlete that I know of dominates any professional competition more than Kobayushi.

I watch way too much ESPN. Sure there is domination at the college or high school level, where I saw Fall City Sacred Heart's High School go undefeated for something like 11 years in high school football. They never lost a single game.

North Carolina's women's soccer won something like 14 straight national championships.

But in professional sports, Kobayushi has not only won 6 straight, but most years he more than doubles the ammount of the person comming in sixth place.

Lance Armstrong never won the Tour de France in half the time of the person finishing second.

Kobayushi dominates his sport in a way no other professional athete does.

Agreed.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

:blink:

bukkake

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Eating as a professional sport... Whats next Olympic eating?

Dipping hotdog buns in water , yeck.

They are trying to get Scrabble recognized as an international sport. However Scrabble clearly stipulates that you can only play in one language in a given game. So what happens when China is playing France and then Germany?

I think the Japanese are fairly developed in speed eating. There are a few ppl that practice and run in competitions. I remember watching these two skinny men on Adam and Joe race to polish off a huge bowl of curry and rice. Good times. ^_^

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Guest Fishboot
Is it just me, or do most people who win these kinds of contests be lightweight?  I've seen a 103 pounder beat a 400 pound guy in a fruitcake eating contest.  :(

More room for stomach expansion I suppose. :D

They can do it because their stomachs move the food into their intestines rapidly (and probably not yet completely broken down in the stomach, something that probably contributes to their thin-ness). A big fat guy with a huge stretched stomach has no inherent benefit in speed eating over a guy that can move the food out of his stomach as soon as it touches down. They should take ultrasound videos of the speed-eaters' alimentary canals during those competitions, that's where the real action is. :p