Who is Palpatine?

Now that we've seen the prequel trilogy, I'm left with the question of where Palpatine actually came from.

We know he has ties to Naboo, since he is the senator of the planet, when we first see him, but other than that, we have no background for him at all, and he seems to be completely unknown to the jedi. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

I mean, most Sith are falled jedi, so chances are that the jedi would have trained him at some point, particularly at this time, when the Sith are said to have been extinct for a millennium (that's exactly how Kai-Adi Mundi puts it in Episode I). Mace Windu notes that the Sith could not have returned with the jedi knowing about it, so it seems clear that the jedi have remained wary of the Sith, even if we might think they've grown negligent in their vigil.

Now, training a Sith lord as powerful as Palpatine isn't exactly something you do quietly, so although the Stih were patient, it is odd that the Jedi have not noticed them, and even more so, if Palpatine could infiltrate the senate without attracting attention. If the jedi trained him, then it seems they should have been much more aware of his plans and powers once he took to politics, yet they plan wars and politics with him without ever raising an eyebrow. To me that suggests that he was simply unknown to the jedi. I doubt he could have done that without extensive powers, but where did he learn those if not from the jedi? The Sith have supposedly been extinct for a thousand years, so where did they suddenly spring from?

One possible clue we got in Episode II with the reference to the death and order to build a clone army by jedi master Sifo-Dyas. I thought it would eventually turn out that Sifo-Dyas might be Palpatine himself, but that still begged the question of why the jedi didn't recognize him, as they did Dooku. It's too bad Lucas has not explained this.

We get a different clue in Episode III, however, when Palpatine speaks to Anakin about the powerful Darth Plagueis the Wise. Palpatine tells Anakin that Plagueis was killed by his apprentice while he slept, and that the jedi wouldn't tell Anakin this story. The thing about the Sith, however, is that that rarely tell the truth. It's quite possible that Palpatine made up the whole thing simply because he knew Anakin was looking for a way to save Padm

NOOOOOOO!!!!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Its a pretty sound theory you covered just about every detail but your theory along with a bunch of other stories about Sith Lords and what not, has brought rise to a question. If they know their apprentice plans on killing them eventually why let the apprentice become stronger. I know most of you will say something like to keep the Sith strong but I honestly think the Sith are a bit selfish to think of their religion before they think of themselves frankly.

If they know their apprentice plans on killing them eventually why let the apprentice become stronger.

Overconfidence.

One belief of the Sith is that the weak deserve to be ruled by the strong.Since a Sith lord is incapable of admitting s/he might be weak they probably don't expect their apprentice gain strength quickly enough to challenge them.

Of course,most evil overlords suffer from overconfidence and manic laughter,that's why they lose so easily.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

I believe there are some EU books out there that mention Palpatine actually had a son, but they are pretty retarded overall.

There is also the usual speculation around the net on whether Palpatine might actually be Anakin's father, but this is still pure speculation, since I think Lucas himself claims that Jesus, I mean Anakin, was conceived by the Holy Spirit , I mean the Force.

1000 years before battle of yavin(epi 4) there was a battle where the Jedi belived that the Sith had died. But a sith lord Darth Bane survived and he trained a aprentice and he got a aprentice when the old master died and that went on for a thousand years. So Palpantine is just a force sensitive native from Naboo who was trained by the Darth Plaqueis. Just read the Darth Bane biography. Darth Bane

And Sifo Dyas was a "true" Jedi master who was killed by Dooku by order of Palpy.

Its a pretty sound theory you covered just about every detail but your theory along with a bunch of other stories about Sith Lords and what not, has brought rise to a question. If they know their apprentice plans on killing them eventually why let the apprentice become stronger. I know most of you will say something like to keep the Sith strong but I honestly think the Sith are a bit selfish to think of their religion before they think of themselves frankly.

True, but then Palpatine did make sure to stay a step ahead of his apprentice. Dooku was kept around only for as long as it took Palpatine to find a new apprentice - once Dooku grew too powerful, bye to his head...

As for Anakin, Palpatine made sure to demoralize him completely by telling him that he killed Padm

There is also the usual speculation around the net on whether Palpatine might actually be Anakin's father, but this is still pure speculation, since I think Lucas himself claims that Jesus, I mean Anakin, was conceived by the Holy Spirit , I mean the Force.

Yeah, that was so lame... :ermm:

As if the midi-chlorians bit and young Anakin in Episode I wasn't bad enough - "Let's try spinning - that's a neat trick!" :angry:

Yeah, that was so lame... :(

As if the midi-chlorians bit and young Anakin in Episode I wasn't bad enough - "Let's try spinning - that's a neat trick!" :angry:

All he had to do was implant the suggestion that he wasnt there.

You do have to wonder why they didnt just take his mother along anyway dont you. It's not like they were going to be coming back to tatooine. There didnt seem to be any logical explanation for leaving her behind.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

1000 years before battle of yavin(epi 4) there was a battle where the Jedi belived that the Sith had died. But a sith lord Darth Bane survived and he trained a aprentice and he got a aprentice when the old master died and that went on for a thousand years. So Palpantine is just a force sensitive native from Naboo who was trained by the Darth Plaqueis. Just read the Darth Bane biography. Darth Bane

And Sifo Dyas was a "true" Jedi master who was killed by Dooku by order of Palpy.

Hmm, that does leave us with a continuity problem, however. After the days of Darth Bane, there can only be two Sith - the master and the apprentice. But if Palpatine ordered Dooku to kill Sifo Dyas, then it doesn't add up, since that took place before the events of Episode I (according to Obi-Wan's statements in Episode II), at which time Sidious naturally still had Maul as his apprentice. This way we end with at least one Sith too many, and it also begs the question of who then deleted Kamino from the jedi archives, since Sifo-Dyas wouldn't have, and Dooku couldn't having already left the jedi order (or he would not be working for Palpatine yet)...

omg, d00d no u

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I AM PALPATINE I WAS BORN ON NABOOBOO AND I WAS TRAINED AS A CHILD IN DEVIOS MANIPULATION BY MICHAEL JACKSON, THEN APPRENTICED BY DONALD TRUMP TO A SITH LORD, AFTERWARDS I BECAME A STOCK EXHANGER AND TRAINED DARK JEDI TO SELL AND BUY STOCKS AT THE RIGHT TIME, WHILE MAKING A PLAN FOR GALAXY DOMINATION. THEN I GOT ELECTED AS SENATOR AND I FLIRTED WITH THE QUEEN AND DID IMPORTANT ISSUES IN THE SENATE THAT NO ONE REALLY CARES ABOUT! then i killed all the jedi...i killed them dead

Palpitine wasn't necessairly from Naboo i think he represented about 80 planets but Naboo was the principal in the movies so it's always mentioned. As for the EU questions. Yes Palps did have a kid named Triclossus (i think) The kid was to become the next emperor but ended up having three eyes so he got booted in favor of anakin. Our Dear Emperor was also sleeping with the Head of Imperial Intelligence, Yssane Isard. Iceheart (as she is fondly called) was given a super star destroyer that was buried under the city at corecant. Later the emperor cloned himself and Luke became his apprentice. Leia had anakin and like kill the emperor about 50 times. The only thing i can tell about the Emperors past is..... he's a powerplayer who got hungry and decided to take over.

By the way about the sith apprentice killing the master, this is how it's always been, it's generally accepted that the stronger will slaughter the weaker, most lords accept that their apprentice got stronger than them and will loose the fight so that the sith can become stronger.

Cough now that my dicertation on the EU is done i can go to bed.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.