sentinel/assassin

i wish to restart the game as a sentinel and then become a sith assassin. how can i build my character at the beginning? i thought at

8 STR

15 DEX

14 CON

14 INT

14 WIS

12 CHA

and take the finnesse feat (melee weapons and sabre). can you give me any suggestions? and what characteristic should i boost every 4 levels?

some people say assassin sucks, if you think so tell me why

thank you

Increase you're CON all the way to 18 when leveling up to be able to use the better implants. Go for the dual weapon and flurry feats to make your first attack from stealth count: 3 attacks with sneak attack damage. And have some stunning force powers (against droids/humans) for some additional sneak attacks. To make the force powers connect, concentrate on high wisdom and charisma when selecting your equipment.

It's fun, sentinels don't suck when built properly. And because they are versatile, they are excelent solo characters.

Wouldnt fancy his chances of beating the Echani sisters.

Definately go for con because it for implant purposes only the raw value counts. Going for 14 is a pretty good plan , then just spend your upgrade points because you wont be seeing 18 req implants till later in the game anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't think I've ever used a stealth attack. Again one of the drawbacks of easy combat. I just have a tendency to charge straight for my opponents without using strategy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

yes i thought i could "substitute" the STR with the finnesse. if i'm not right please tell me

There are only two occasions in the game where you need a good STR: when you are forced to fight unarmed. Both occasions are 'bonus quests': you don't need them to complete to win the game. They are defeating the Handmaiden sisters and the Mandalorion Battle Ring. And chances are that when you have to fight in the Ring, you already have a good STR from equipment.

The reason STR is important in unarmed combat is that the finesse feats don't work when unarmed. In that case your DEX modifier is no longer added to your attack roll, so you will hit less.

I still think you have a good build. Increasing your STR from 8 to 14 only gives you a +3 to attack and damage. Why investing 6 points in STR for something that is only 'handy' twice in the game? Those 6 points are better placed in other attributes, like CON, INT, ... where they count for the whole duration of the game.

I'd go for dual saber, but don't use two weapons at the early levels of the game, wait until you have all 3 two-weapon feats.

My recomendation for starting attributes would be to decrease the dex by 1 and use those points to increase your STR to 10 (so you won't have a -1 to damage) and decrease INT to 12 or 10 and put those points into CON and/or CHA

I'd go for dual saber, but don't use two weapons at the early levels of the game, wait until you have all 3 two-weapon feats.

My recomendation for starting attributes would be to decrease the dex by 1 and use those points to increase your STR to 10 (so you won't have a -1 to damage) and decrease INT to 12 or 10 and put those points into CON and/or CHA

I wouldn't decrease INT: decreasing it from 14 to 12 means you'll miss 11 skill points till you've leveled up to level 8 (your first chance to get your INT to 14). If you want to be a sentinel, then play like one.

yes i've never thought at decreasing INT. before i make some stupid things, with 8 STR have i  still got the -1 damage or with the finnesse that doesnt't matter??

Yes, you still have that -1 damage. But with the finesse feat you don't have the -1 to attack, instead your DEX modifier is used (if better than the STR modifier, which is true in your case). So with a 14 DEX, you have a +2 to your attack rolls.

The whole point is that that little damage penalty is neglectable, when compared to the massive amounts of damage a good blade or saber is capable of doing. Improvements to your attack rolls are more difficult to achieve than improvements to damage.

So investing in DEX and a finesse feat gives you high attack/defense with slightly less damage, compared to investing in STR, which gives you a high attack only, with some additional damage.

Normally the rules of a fight are

- Defense first (if you die, it's over)

- High attack (to damage something, you need to hit it first)

- High damage (to kill faster)

Other people swear by high attack/damage only, claiming they kill so fast that they need no defense. But when attacked by 6 mercs (like on Dantooine), each doing 60 damage a round, they die so fast they probably only manage to kill one merc.

:)" (ducks...)