Jedi Master hiding in Parliament!

Darth Drabek

So this isn't exactly breaking news I guess, but it's news to me (I live in America, where we take our self-absorbtion very seriously). There's a sort of religious freedom bill up in the UK Parliament. Anyway, as was discussed a few days ago (before degenerating into a discussion of Paris Hilton and pedophilia), a lot of UK citizens wrote on their census that they were "Jedi."

This outpouring of support seems to have flushed out a Jedi Master living in hiding in the verdant hills of England. The honorable Jamie Reed of Copeland announced that he was, in fact, a Jedi during his maiden speech in Parliament. The bill, if passed, will apparently protect his right to use the Force in general assembly.

Here's the transcript from the mouth of the Jedi himself (about halfway down the page).

And here is the article on Slashdot.

Here is a picture of the man himself, for your photoshopping pleasure:

spokes_2209.jpg

No word yet on whether the Labour party is revealing its true nature to draw out the remaining Sith Lords, despite intense speculation.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Does this make him look like a Jedi?

post-10830-1120366549_thumb.jpg

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Hehe.... nice work!

An interesting coincidence... in his speech, one of the first things Reed does is pay tribute to another member of Parliament - one "Mr. Malik," whose "convincing and searing" testimony in support of the proposed legislation was influential to Mr. Reed.

"It will be a privilege to serve alongside him."

Hmmm.... Mal(a)k, eh? :ph34r:

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Muhahhhaaaahhhhaaa?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Afterall, scientology is a religion too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Be a Jedi Master! Only 99 999,5 dollars!

kirottu said:

:geek: And a protocol droid in the color of your own choosing.
kirottu said:

Me too, however I don't see it becoming large in the near future. Think of it like this; how many would have the guts come out of jedi-closet?

kirottu said:

Me too, however I don't see it becoming large in the near future. Think of it like this; how many would have the guts come out of jedi-closet?

I suppose that would depend on how seriously they wanted to be taken. I dont tend to take most religions seriously anyway. But if people wanted to live their lives by the "Jedi" code I'd see nothing more unusual than if they said they were christians or muslims or something else.

You can probably learn more important personal lessons from Jedism anyway. Whether or not it is "real" dosnt matter.

If someone did happen to perfect force powers or lightsabers, it would have the others beat hands down for practicality wouldnt it ? :D

Ok ok lightsabers are not practical, but they would be fun.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'll join the Jedi religion. But first I want an operational lightsaber.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Being a Jedi is a sort of cross between a budist and Gai worshipper.

I dont see any reason why it cant be a valid religion.

Actually they seem like monk's to me, never do anything unless you KNOW somthing bad won't come of it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'll join the Jedi religion. But first I want an operational lightsaber.

Screw the lightsabre, I want Force Powers, then I'm a believer. :D

Let's see...

We'll trade in our current/NA religion for a Jedism...

We'll trade in our girlfriend for a protocol/assassin droid (we can always get a new gf)...

We'll trade in our knife/gun for a real, working lightsaber...

We'll trade in hypothetical botox injections for midichlorian injections so we can use the Force...

Sounds like a deal to me! :cool:

But we'll need a council and a temple...something like Coruscant - I know, we'll use New York.

manthing2.jpg