Critical Hits and Critical Strikes

Is the highest you can modify your lightsaber to scoring a critical hit is around the 40% range?

With a Keen single-bladed saber, Master Critical Strike, and Ataru form, you have a 55% chance of a critical threat. The actual critical chance is only this high if your attack bonus is so high that every attack is a hit. Actually, since a natural 1 is always a miss, the highest hit rate you can achieve is 95%, so that means the greatest chance of a critical hit you can achieve is 52.25%.

I might have made a mistake in calculating the greatest possible threat range, but I think that's right.

If I did my math right, then Ataru saber is actually a fairly insignificant factor, adding less than five percent. Without Ataru but with all of the rest of the above, you have a 47.5% chance of a critical with a sufficient attack bonus (50% chance of a threat).

The threat range of 11 comes from:

2 base

2 Keen

6 Master Critical Strike

(1 Ataru)

Total: range 11 (10-20) = 55%

This is assuming that Ataru's bonus is added after all the multipliers to the crit range. I don't know if this is true, but if it is added before, your threat range would be 15 (6-20), which seems a bit unlikely.

To get the most damage from Critical Strike, the form that increases your critical damage multiplier is a better idea than Ataru.

To get the most damage from Critical Strike, the form that increases your critical damage multiplier is a better idea than Ataru.

Agreed. If you're going to use Master Critical Strike, Ataru really doesn't do much, except add +1 to your critical threat range. If you've mastered Critical Strike, and are using a keen short or keen regular lightsaber, then those bonuses will easily dwarf the +1 bonus from Ataru.

Better to do as Dodecahedron stated, and use the Shien form, which triples your weapon damage if you score a critical hit. If you have a well-upgraded saber, don't be surprised if you see a single critical hit doing 150+ damage. Of course, using Shien and Critical Strike gives you a -10 defensive penalty, but hey, if you kill your opponent, you won't get hit.

Someone using two keen sabers (upgraded with the better parts and crystals), master critical strike, and Shien, along with Master Speed, can easily and consistently deliver over 200 pts of damage in one round, and if you're lucky, a whole lot more than that. As a Sith Marauder, I took out Queen Talia in two rounds with this combination (and she can take a BIG beating).

Force Wave "bye bye" to those dancing sabres ...

All I had to do against those 3 sabers were:

1) Force Strom them.

2) Avoid them totally, and just make quick hit and run attacks (with Force Jump) on Kreia. (always pick jedi Guardian).