Best Games Ever

I'll have to try that :lol:

So far I got it to work on my craptastic spare computer using something called DFinstall or something like that.

Works on the craptastic computer but not my main one.

I'll try this new thing on my main.

Guest Fishboot
I'll have to try that :ermm:

So far I got it to work on my craptastic spare computer using something called DFinstall or something like that.

Works on the craptastic computer but not my main one.

I'll try this new thing on my main.

Daggerfall has a really weird bug on NT-based versions of Windows (Windows 2000 and Windows XP to be specific) where the quest related monsters and items become invisible due to some texture weirdness. The workaround is very peculiar - you have to have three or more mounted partitions on your drive in Windows-recognizable formats (some people say it takes four partitions on XP). DF also has speed problems (it messes up strafing and some other movements) and sound problems (fixable with VDMS), but the game runs excellently when all the prep work is done. If you have a really nice machine it can be run in DOSBOX, but it's much cleaner when run "natively".

I got it to work on my main PC.

I have no sound, and I can't move backwards  :(

But it's functional enough to play and enjoy. :)

Currently trying to get werewolfed :)

:ph34r:

That sounds like a candidate for the animals on the Australian emblem. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Daggerfall is like the other two Elder Scroll games, as a first-person dungeon romp with a large world. However, quests and dungeons and randomly instanced.

Darque,

There are sound programs that are meant to work with DOS games in Windows, but I can't remember what they are called. DOSBOX's website used to link to one.

What type of game is Daggerfall?  What would be a similar game to get an idea of what it might be like?

Daggerfall and games like it are dubbed exploration RPGs and are a different breed altogether from your more story-driven (PS:T, Arcanum, KOTOR1) and action RPGs (Icewind Dale, Diablo..etc)with emphasis being placed on total freedom to interact physically with the gameworld (which is absolutely freaking HUGE BTW!) and total non-linearity to do and explore anything in whatever way, manner, or order you see fit. In fact, you can choose to ignore the main storyline and get sidetracked as much as you want.

Unlike games like PS:T, you don't play these type of RPGs for the story so much as you play them for the interactive experience with the gameworld.

The most similar modern game to it right now is Morrowind (and soon Oblivion) which are its sequels all made by Bethesda. These games along with Arena are part of the "Elder Scroll" series

All these games are played in a first person perspective.

image002.gifLancer

Guest Fishboot

I have no sound, and I can't move backwards  :p

I recommend the program Speedset to fix the "can't strafe or walk backwards" problems (there's some timing error, no idea why forward and turn work while the other movements don't) and VDMS will fix the sound. Daggerfall is a good tool to use for teaching yourself all the tricks to running old games. :p

To steer the thread away from Darque's dark daggerfall designs (I deserve to be shot for that, by the way), the best "game" I have ever played turned out to be a quasi-hentai game story depicting the story of some hobo and his sister who suffers from chronic renal insufficiency. Sad as hell, and my eyes were swollen for quite some time after getting one of the more sad endings.

The above fact makes me somewhat uneasy, however. Ah well, never trust the japanese to be consistent in their lunacy.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Morrowind can be played in 3rd person.

I didn't know that.

I don't think we are presented with enough opportunities in a given day to say "currently trying to get werewolfed."

How often would you like the opportunity to say that?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have no sound, and I can't move backwards  :)

I recommend the program Speedset to fix the "can't strafe or walk backwards" problems (there's some timing error, no idea why forward and turn work while the other movements don't) and VDMS will fix the sound. Daggerfall is a good tool to use for teaching yourself all the tricks to running old games. :huh:

I don't think "hard" or "impossible" should be used when it comes to MW combat.

Click. Click. Click. Just position the camera behind the PC and then get on with your index-finger-intensive strategyfest.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin