Ratio of console sales to PC

I don't know the sales figures for either, however I'd just like to mention one thing before anyone does post them. You can't really compare sales figures for them and use that as "conclusive evidence" that one sold better than the other (especially the XBox version) because they were released at different times.

Don't forget that PC sales could have been affected by being released 2 months later since:

1-People who may have purchased it for the PC might have already bought the XBox version and thus saw no point in buying the PC version.

2-The bad ending and the complaints about the game when the XBox version came out could have turned away some potential sales of the PC version.

Personally, I think #1 would have the biggest impact on PC sales. Had they been released at the same time, you'd get a more accurate portrayal of which one sold better. As it is, XBox had the advantage of 2 extra early months of sales taking away some (not all) potential PC customers.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

They were released at the same time in the UK if thats any help.

I know KOTOR II spent a couple of weeks at number I on the Xbox chart.

Fairly certain that Halflife was top of the PC charts around that time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Guest MacleodCorp
It's been awhile since KOTOR2's been out - has the sales data been compiled on the number of console and PC sales?

I don't know the sales figures for either, however I'd just like to mention one thing before anyone does post them.  You can't really compare sales figures for them and use that as "conclusive evidence" that one sold better than the other (especially the XBox version) because they were released at different times.

Don't forget that PC sales could have been affected by being released 2 months later since:

1-People who may have purchased it for the PC might have already bought the XBox version and thus saw no point in buying the PC version.

2-The bad ending and the complaints about the game when the XBox version came out could have turned away some potential sales of the PC version.

Personally, I think #1 would have the biggest impact on PC sales.  Had they been released at the same time, you'd get a more accurate portrayal of which one sold better.  As it is, XBox had the advantage of 2 extra early months of sales taking away some (not all) potential PC customers.

Regardless of the outcome of this information, it is a proven fact that console games depend on PC game evolution and technology inorder to make 'Next Generation' console and games. All and all, PC games lead the way for console games with out a doubt. When my couleges create games, they build them and depend on PC software. Console games are designed on PC, and they depend on PCs. They don't spring out of thin air.

Guest MacleodCorp
it doesnt really matter, the xbox demographic i still think is larger than the pc demographic

Yeah, that is quite possible. It is most likely.

But, when it comes to the importance of a PC vrs Console, the PC wins far none, but we are not talking about that here. Many years ago, the PC game industry fluxed. When PC games dwindle, the console games begin to suffer. All console games rely on PCs, and people like Microsoft will keep the gaming industry alive. Plus, there are more stretegy games on a PC than on a console, and that will continue the fire in PC game sales.

I would be more concerned about the following:

1. Where will the evolution of a PC end?

2. What will game console do when PCs are replaced with another information system?

Since game consoles depend on the evolution of PCs, there is no question that when PCs suffer game consoles suffer.

I may have missinterpreted the subject of this thread, and for that I am sorry!!!

While I'm not going to give exact numbers, I will say that the US X-Box version of KotOR2 outsold all other versions (US PC, International X-Box, International PC) of KotOR2 combined more than twice over.

Keep in mind that it was the first version to be on the shelves, however.

-Akari

While I'm not going to give exact numbers, I will say that the US X-Box version of KotOR2 outsold all other versions (US PC, International X-Box, International PC) of KotOR2 combined more than twice over.

-Akari

Where have you been? Tied to a restraining bolt?

On-topic: Is there an official source than one can go to? (like Nielsen soundscan).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

-Akari

Thats what happens when you wait all that extra time before getting around to Europe :D

Happens all the time games get tons of hype for the US release then months pass everyone loses interest and buys something else.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

-Akari

Where have you been? Tied to a restraining bolt?

On-topic: Is there an official source than one can go to? (like Nielsen soundscan).

Been really busy. My ToDo list goes from long to short in cycles.

As far as official sources go, I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I believe you have to pay huge subscriptions to some industry tracking service to have direct access to the numbers. But then the numbers tend to get leaked out to various forums eventually too, a month or two later.

I only know what we've been told internally, myself. :-

-Akari

Thanks for the info anyway. Good to have you back, Akari.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

-Akari

Now I undestand why LucasArts wanted the game for christmas for US XBox players... Which is stil quite unfortunate regarding the game quality.

Now I undestand why LucasArts wanted the game for christmas for US XBox players... Which is stil quite unfortunate regarding the game quality.

There was never really any doubt that it was a very smart thing to do regardless of the consequences which are likely to be only short term.

478327[/snapback]

I just hope that none of the bitter Tech-Help-dudes will find this thread.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I would think that people would have bought it more if they didn't have so many fan reviews that reported the last 25% of the game missing.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I rather doubt that. Us internet people, we are a minority.

kirottu said:

Internet people who post on forums who aren't raving lunatics or Tim Cain fans are a samller minority still.

kirottu said: