What are you playing ? (looking forward too)

Nothing actually on the release schedule then?

Nothing on the release schedule tickles my fancy. I might eventually pick up 1 or 2 of the games, but other than "hmm...maybe I'll give it a try" there's nothing that has me counting the days until release.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

After going once more through the excellent experience that is Deus Ex, I rented Invisible War, and brought myself to beat it.

All I have to say is... that is not Deus Ex.

I'll probably be renting Metal Gear Solid 3 tomorrow.

Hmmm, Deus Ex didn't work for me.  I don't have the skills to shoot the moving thingies. :lol:
Deus Ex can be played either as a soldier, or a stealth game. The "RPG" elements of the game (it is a genuine RPG-FPS hybrid) come into play when you get biomods: you have a choice of applications for each body part, and there are four levels of performance for each mod. Additionally, there are skill points to collect (like XP, but for progressing the plot, not body count), which are invested in "skills" (hence the name, cf. feats in a D&D setting), like pistol and rifle marksmanship, etc.

Also, the game is incredibly long. And superbly paced.

I'm not sure how you could fail to shoot the "moving thingies" ... after all, you can sneak up on practically every target and take them from behind.

Yup. My last JC Denton was a Cloak+Dragon's Tooth combo murderer, so I had no problem hitting the "moving thingies". And, at any rate, it's a matter of planning. Choose a type of weaponry at the beginning of the game, and spend all of your skill points on the proper skill. When you reach mastery, there's no way in hell you can miss with that weapon.

However, its RPG elements are restricted to skill and augmentation management, and the ability to choose an ending. Otherwise, the plot is mostly linear.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sure Deus Ex is linear, but with just a little suspension of disbelief it carries a reasonable illusion of choice. Anyway, the real thing is the exploration of the environment, the mythos, and the range of tactics. I've played it three different ways (swordsman, sniper, and sneakthief) and found them all satisfying, which is rare indeed. Keep trying, Steve, I know you'll get the hang of the brainier options even if you can't shoot your way around. Note, for example, that you can literally guess some of the computer passswords if you think hard aboutt the characters who aceess them, and what else you have read in the game.

I'm playing Civ3, as you know, and waiting on a more sophisticated Close Combat, possibly a sci-fi one, although I may be waiting some time. :lol: I'm not playing BG again for at least a year, so it will be a bit fresher; and I can't play Torment because I have lent it out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just began Morrowind yet again as an Imperial 'Legionnaire' type, should keep me occupied for a good few years or so. Its such a difficult game to begin though, the sheer size seems daunting. I just need to persevere I suppose.

Well, I'm finished with Painkiller on Insomnia and now I'll have to get started on my "finish everything" run.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just began Morrowind yet again as an Imperial 'Legionnaire' type, should keep me occupied for a good few years or so. Its such a difficult game to begin though, the sheer size seems daunting. I just need to persevere I suppose.

You need to be a half-thingie, with some magic resistence, otherwise the boots of speed blind you and you can't use them. (I fluked this the first time.)

I wouldn't play Morrowind without boots of speed, it's too boring.

BTW, have you seen this: beat Morrowind in 15 minutes :(

Dammit, I'm almost going to play Deus Ex again ... must ... finish ... sequel ... first ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dawn of War: Winter Campaigns.

Numbers IW was absolutly insane about how it connected with deus ex. I agree when you say that tis not deus. They never even explained about the Tanked alex Denton. (In the Area 51 tube)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Dawn of War: Winter Campaigns.

Numbers IW was absolutly insane about how it connected with deus ex. I agree when you say that tis not deus. They never even explained about the Tanked alex Denton. (In the Area 51 tube)

Sure they did.

He was overloaded shortly after the connection to Helios.

They couldn't have a god controlling the Earth if the world was so screwed up, now could they?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sure they did.

He was overloaded shortly after the connection to Helios.

They couldn't have a god controlling the Earth if the world was so screwed up, now could they?

Only the "Collapse" ending was in direct conflict with the "merging" one, at least in DX. The story of the first one was closed just fine, but they had to reopen it and "fix" it with IW's Alex D story.

Feh.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Don't forget the Illuminati ending. That might go well with the Merging but not Collapse. I hate the endings in IW, they're all so sad for the poor normal Humans :'(

Yeah, there really wasn't a way forward from the third "Tracer Tong" option in the original ... not much left of JC that couldn't be scooped up with an eyedropper ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually it shows him running out of the bunker. Only problem is how do you get to vegas from the middle of the Nevada Desert?

Guest Fishboot

Deus Ex and Invisible War spoilers.

Only the "Collapse" ending was in direct conflict with the "merging" one, at least in DX. The story of the first one was closed just fine, but they had to reopen it and "fix" it with IW's Alex D story.

I hated that Alex had any importance at all to the story after the rescue bit, or that the game just didn't end right then. I mean, really JC's solution to the "problem of people" should have been something we as normal people couldn't even comprehend - that was the point of becoming godlike in the first game, that you don't see a third way between TT's cataclysm or Everett's elitism, so you just opted to become transcendent instead and then solve it as a god. In fact the perfect democracy ending of IW was kind of unsettling because it didn't seem very much like transcendent thinking at all - anyone might have come up with it. It wasn't something a person of godlike vision would create. Combine that with the fact that neither the Templars or the Omar were really fleshed out and you're left with only one resonant ending.

Also, those Paladin armor and Illuminati assassin guys made the gameplay of the endgame pretty blah.

Invisible War was pretty interesting for a while, though - I really liked the NG Resonance stuff, although I assumed the NG AI was going to end up as an important player in the storyline (since it presumably was a global-scale AI with gobs of informants) and I was let down when she disappeared out of the game.

I did like when you got yelled at by the origional NG. Or "hum de dum de dum I think i'll fire the bitch right now" Great line.

None of the endings felt like you were making a very good society. it was always a ruled society that had been designed to keep humans under control. all of the endings became very very terrifying to me if i think that they are going to happen to me.

I hated that Alex had any importance at all to the story after the rescue bit, or that the game just didn't end right then. I mean, really JC's solution to the "problem of people" should have been something we as normal people couldn't even comprehend - that was the point of becoming godlike in the first game, that you don't see a third way between TT's cataclysm or Everett's elitism, so you just opted to become transcendent instead and then solve it as a god. In fact the perfect democracy ending of IW was kind of unsettling because it didn't seem  very much like transcendent thinking at all - anyone might have come up with it. It wasn't something a person of godlike vision would create.

Yup. I think they tried to make IW's story as grand as the original, but what they accomplised was in fact, to bastardize Deus Ex's story.

I mean, at the end I was expecting to hear something like "We are the Borg, you will be assimilated".

o:)

Also, those Paladin armor and Illuminati assassin guys made the gameplay of the endgame pretty blah.

Yeah. Why the hell do they have to explode on death? That was not only lame, but it effectively forced you to use ranged weapons, rendering close combat useless. And hey, thank God the

Illuminati are a secret organization that "only influence, suggest, insinuate"

. Since when did they become the freaking MJ12?

Invisible War was pretty interesting for a while, though - I really liked the NG Resonance stuff, although I assumed the NG AI was going to end up as an important player in the storyline (since it presumably was a global-scale AI with gobs of informants)  and I was let down when she disappeared out of the game.

Ah, yeah. I was expecting for it to be revealed as an instrument of either the

Illuminati or ApostleCorp

. But in the end, nothing. Damn shame.

Alright, this is probably OT seeing as the thread has evolved quite a bit from the original premise, but what the hell.

Playing WoW and looking forward to the new Zelda game. That one is going to rawk, I can feel it.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Alright, this is probably OT seeing as the thread has evolved quite a bit from the original premise, but what the hell.

Playing WoW and looking forward to the new Zelda game. That one is going to rawk, I can feel it.

Only 144 days to go.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Currently playing:

Ninja Gaiden

GTA: San Andreas

Other games waiting in line:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Looking forward too:

Final Fantasy XII

F.E.A.R.

Sith Lords restoration patch

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Final Fantasy XII

I really enjoyed that one. After playing short RPGs having something that lasted nearly 100 hours (and I didnt actually complete it, only finish it) was really refreshing. It's also a fantastic game as well which is always nice :D

<fingers in ears> I'm totally blocking all reference to FFXII or the days would just drag. ;)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Final Fantasy XII

I really enjoyed that one. After playing short RPGs having something that lasted nearly 100 hours (and I didnt actually complete it, only finish it) was really refreshing. It's also a fantastic game as well which is always nice :D

<fingers in ears> I'm totally blocking all reference to FFXII or the days would just drag. ;)

100 hours? That's pretty long for a JRPG, and i thought that Baten Kaitos was long. Btw, Square-Enix is having a party on July 30th, Nobou Uematsu will host it with some "big" news about FFXII.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I too am waiting for FF XII. The days drag.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

100 hours? That's pretty long for a JRPG, and i thought that Baten Kaitos was long. Btw, Square-Enix is having a party on July 30th, Nobou Uematsu will host it with some "big" news about FFXII.

Yes I was most suprised. It does come on two disks as well.

I'm trying to enjoy the card system in Baten Kaitos but its just not doing it for me.

Sadly my wife is in the third trimester (er that just sounds wrong..) so we wont be going ;)

Should I be worried that I'm more sad about missing a Squenix party than I am happy about the birth of my third child.

We are thinking of calling it Ashe by the way ;) Goes along with Rikku and Auron our twins and now I'm getting a snip cause she gets pregnant if I look at her funny it seems. :">

478327[/snapback]