The new Doctor Who series. SPOILERS!

Having watched the whole season of Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor, I fell in love with the show all over again (and with Eccleston too :) ). Even the weakest episode was terrific.

I was however torn on the season finale. There were some incredible moments (Daleks coming silently up behind outside the window was classic), but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointment. I was hoping for more drama and heartbreak in The Doctor's transformation, but as it was it seems like it was happening because he had a headache and not about to die. As for defeating the Daleks, it seems like the writers took "deus ex machina" and went for it with gusto. It was a little anti-climatic that Uber Rose was just able to "erase" them from existance like that.

Ah well. I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to a new season and seeing what the new Doctor will bring.

Having watched the whole season of Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor, I fell in love with the show all over again (and with Eccleston too  :) ). Even the weakest episode was terrific.

I was however torn on the season finale. There were some incredible moments (Daleks coming silently up behind outside the window was classic), but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointment. I was hoping for more drama and heartbreak in The Doctor's transformation, but as it was it seems like it was happening because he had a headache and not about to die. As for defeating the Daleks, it seems like the writers took "deus ex machina" and went for it with gusto. It was a little anti-climatic that Uber Rose was just able to "erase" them from existance like that.

Ah well. I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to a new season and seeing what the new Doctor will bring.

Plastic people was terrific ? :ph34r:

The last episode was a bit crap. It had a lot of potential but it looked like either the writers got painted into a corner with the plot. Or they simply had to sew it up for a 90 minute timeslot.

Dr Who bonks his way around the universe coming soon :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Plastic people was terrific ?  :ph34r:

The last episode was a bit crap. It had a lot of potential but it looked like either the writers got painted into a corner with the plot. Or they simply had to sew it up for a 90 minute timeslot.

Dr Who bonks his way around the universe coming soon :D

Even with stupid villains, the writing was fairly crisp and the Doctor and Rose have been pretty consistantly fun to watch.

I also have a feeling that the writers knew they were going with a deus ex machina ending for the finale because the god was literally in the machine. Of course, that didn't make it any less anti-climatic.

I think it was a factor of the risk the BBC took to re-start the series; that and the fact that (I believe) they could only get Eccleston to sign for a single year.

Now that the concept has been proven, I'm sure there will be more built into the next series ... (I'm a little concerned about David Tennant).

Russell T Davies is a big fan, and that come through in his work (I have an embarassingly large amount of knowledge on the subject, myself, and I can tell you that there was very little controversial material in the plots: it was all consistent with the

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would not call myself a "Doctor who" fan but I did enjoy the original series, but I found the new series a bit flat, there wasnt enough depth to the story. Plus im not sure I wanted to know what was in side a darlek, that spoiled the mystry of the Darleks. :-

I would not call myself a "Doctor who" fan but I did enjoy the original series, but I found the new series a bit flat, there wasnt enough depth to the story. Plus im not sure I wanted to know what was in side a darlek, that spoiled the mystry of the Darleks. :-

Thats very much old news. What was inside the Daleks was revealed in the 60's I think. I'm not a huge fan either (I just watch things) but I'm certain that Tom Baker was around when I first saw the inside of a Dalek.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Thats very much old news. What was inside the Daleks was revealed in the 60's I think. I'm not a huge fan either (I just watch things) but I'm certain that Tom Baker was around when I first saw the inside of a Dalek.

Thats strange iv never seen the inside of the Darleks untill this new series but either way im not going to lose any sleep over it. <_<

Every Doctor has seen the inside of a Dalek, even William Hartnell (the First Doctor) encountered the Glass Emperor Dalek, in 1963!

Since then, it has been a regular feature, blowing them up and showing the little creatures inside. Don't forget, in the first few stories of Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor, we go back and are introduced to Davros and we see the proto-Daleks (half-way between irradiated Kaleds and the fearsome cybernetic creatures we know and love now), including some without their travel machines, and a very poignant shot of one sticking its little hand out from under a coat ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thats strange iv never seen the inside of the Darleks untill this new series but either way im not going to lose any sleep over it. <_<

In the later parts of the old series you see a number of daleks getting blown apart and their chunky, glistening, slimy bits being splattered around.

I think in the Peter Davison Dalek story (Resurrection of the Daleks) you get to see the slimy blob that crawls out of a destroyed dalek attacking someone and in Revelation of the Daleks, there is a glass dalek containing a human being mutated into a dalek creature.

I still haven't seen the new series as I'm living in Germany at the moment but will get the boxed set from the UK when it's available. Luckily Blake's 7 series 3 just arrived and I'm enjoying that at the moment to tide me over. :shifty:

By Orac, the only bad thing about Blake's Seven was the acting. Great ideas, though. :cool:

Ummm...the acting looks like Gielguld next to the S/FX, IMHO!

Also you have to be a little tolerant - they didn't have enough money to do more than one take pretty often.