King Kong

Kor Qel Droma

Fellowship had bits cut out but there was nothing fundamentally changed... that was left for Two Towers [sarcasm]shock horror! :o Elves at helm's deep? :huh: WTF? :angry:[/sarcasm]

Well, Tom Bomberdill was cut completely, as was the Wraith scene (which was pretty neat, I thought); I understand editing it out for length concerns, but it was certainly stronger, in a narartive sense, than the council meeting with Elrond.

I would like to have seen the epic truly reflect Tolkein's down-beat message, by including the last scenes with Saruman in the Shire; that helped to cement some of the more mature themes in the novel, imo.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hoped to see Jackson's version of Bombadil, but alas the movies didn't suffer because of the lack of it. Bombadil wasn't, obviousl, vital to the plot. However; I was an avid LoTR fan when seeing the movies; and thought that the whole "ghost army saves the day"-moment was rather lame.

No. I don't sport a pair of fake elf ears and a Sting-replica. Flame of Anor is enough. :huh:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yep, I thought it was going to be another "girl teen-film" and I was pleasantly surprised. (I only watched it because my step-daughter insisted: she had seen it before.) It is not the normal grist to the mill, and in fact shows some innovative story-telling. And at least it is not yet-another-sequel-or-remake!

:huh:

Much credit can go to the awesome Tina Fey. :o

I see she's written a few items for Saturday Night Live; that shows the merit of the show and her talent.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hoped to see Jackson's version of Bombadil, but alas the movies didn't suffer because of the lack of it. Bombadil wasn't, obviousl, vital to the plot. However; I was an avid LoTR fan when seeing the movies; and thought that the whole "ghost army saves the day"-moment was rather lame.

No. I don't sport a pair of fake elf ears and a Sting-replica. Flame of Anor is enough. :huh:

Bombadil is pops up in the Gawain and the Green Knight story too. He's not really central to Middle Earth because no one really knows who he is anyway.

The main purpose of the Barrow Downs would be to equip Merry with his dagger of westernese for the dispatch of the Witch King :o

At least they did have the good sense to have Aragorn hand out weapons.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Actually, PJ co-wrote the screenplay, with Philipa Boyens and Fran Walsh, so he shares some blame for the story, considering they were brave enough to change large parts of The Fellowship of the Ring; it was well within their remit to edit {i]The Return of the King[/i] (which they did, but not to its betterment, imo).

:cool:

Without the scouring of a the Shire ROTK was lacking.

While the other changes were irksome nothing except the osgiliath debacle came close.

Yep, I agree.

Again, I concur; i thought of all the bits that might be cut, or at least pared-down, the ghost-warriors were the highest probability for the chop.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yep, I thought it was going to be another "girl teen-film" and I was pleasantly surprised. (I only watched it because my step-daughter insisted: she had seen it before.) It is not the normal grist to the mill, and in fact shows some innovative story-telling. And at least it is not yet-another-sequel-or-remake!

:thumbsup:

Much credit can go to the awesome Tina Fey. :)

I see she's written a few items for Saturday Night Live; that shows the merit of the show and her talent.

She's the first female head writer there, and has helped transform it from a boy's club to inclusive of their female talent which is very apparent. For that alone she is one of my heros. :)

You didn't like the Bourne Supremacy? The car chase scene alone is regarded as a modern classic, up there with The French Connection.

That's plain insulting. You just put a brilliant movie and a waste of celluloid in the same sentence which just should not be done. I stand by my statement. The Bourne Supremacy is one of the worst movies ever. The car chase scene alone proves that, and definately not otherwise.

Not only was the car chase scene a cop-out way to try and emulate the original(which was a less than humdinger flick to begin with), it was filmed horribly, had no suspense, and made me want to smack whatever hack directed it upside the head. I can deal with someone using a shaking handheld camera to create an extra feeling of the chaos that's going on to create extra suspense, but an entire sequence of nothing but close-ups using that technique is retarded. You don't see what's going on half the time, and if you do, you can't see it clearly because of all the shaking. The way the entire movie was filmed gave me a migraine.

Adding to that the fact that the story was as boring as you can get and the only interesting character from the original was killed off in the beginning as a failed attempt to give some pathos to the wooden board they call a main character leaves you with a film that should not have been made in the first place. That's what you get for trying to make a movie out of Robert goddamn Ludlum's novels. That's was the worst idea since Battlefield: Earth until some dumbass decided to adapt The DaVinci Code.

To 'Paladin:

Yep, script writer was indeed precise. I say, fans shouldn't moan. The movie adaptation was almost as good as possible. I have yet to see the longerversions, but I hear that they are more truer to the story.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

You didn't like the Bourne Supremacy? The car chase scene alone is regarded as a modern classic, up there with The French Connection.

That's plain insulting. You just put a brilliant movie and a waste of celluloid in the same sentence which just should not be done. I stand by my statement. The Bourne Supremacy is one of the worst movies ever. The car chase scene alone proves that, and definately not otherwise.

Not only was the car chase scene a cop-out way to try and emulate the original(which was a less than humdinger flick to begin with), it was filmed horribly, had no suspense, and made me want to smack whatever hack directed it upside the head. I can deal with someone using a shaking handheld camera to create an extra feeling of the chaos that's going on to create extra suspense, but an entire sequence of nothing but close-ups using that technique is retarded. You don't see what's going on half the time, and if you do, you can't see it clearly because of all the shaking. The way the entire movie was filmed gave me a migraine.

Adding to that the fact that the story was as boring as you can get and the only interesting character from the original was killed off in the beginning as a failed attempt to give some pathos to the wooden board they call a main character leaves you with a film that should not have been made in the first place. That's what you get for trying to make a movie out of Robert goddamn Ludlum's novels. That's was the worst idea since Battlefield: Earth until some dumbass decided to adapt The DaVinci Code.

Interesting point of view. You are entitled to it, of course, even if it is wrong. :thumbsup: So you think that Matt Damon is not a good actor, or just the character was not a good vehicle for his talents? Certainly Franka Potente was out of her depth.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yep, script writer was indeed precise. I say, fans shouldn't moan. The movie adaptation was almost as good as possible. I have yet to see the longerversions, but I hear that they are more truer to the story.

They add in some missing bits. But the thing most people complain about are the changes and those dont get addressed by the missing bits.

One of the biggest is Osgiliath because if your actually aware of the distances then Frodo would have never gotten back in time for his showdown with Gollum. Leaving out the scouring also changes the tone of the ending.

I'd probably give it a 9 out 10 for watchability and a 7 out 10 for adaptation.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Does this mean that my opinion is wrong? :thumbsup:

kirottu said:

To 'Paladin:

Certainly the longer versions feel more authentic.

I, for one, though, certainly felt my enthusiasm for the epic ebb a little once Christopher Lee's character was terminated so unceremoniously, inelegantly and without any canonical support. Add to that the ineffably dull last scenes, and I felt the down-beat mood of Tolkein's novel, but for the wrong reasons ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I like Matt Damon as much as the next guy, but if you have a character that is about as deep as a puddle even the best actors can't do anything with it. And he definately is not the best actor. Matt Damon is a lot like a better version of Brad Pitt. Damon is a better actor, but like Pitt, he's only good if he works with a good director. And this was Damon's Troy instead of his Fight Club.

Interesting point of view. You are entitled to it, of course, even if it is wrong.  :)  So you think that Matt Damon is not a good actor, or just the character was not a good vehicle for his talents? Certainly Franka Potente was out of her depth.

I am so glad

she was killed off early, she made me hate the first film

:thumbsup:

Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I like Matt Damon as much as the next guy, but if you have a character that is about as deep as a puddle even the best actors can't do anything with it. And he definately is not the best actor. Matt Damon is a lot like a better version of Brad Pitt. Damon is a better actor, but like Pitt, he's only good if he works with a good director. And this was Damon's Troy instead of his Fight Club.

Well, at least we agree that Matt Damon is good at his craft. I thought he acted his socks off in Bourne Supremacy, though. At no time could I see his acting.

Fight Club is your Brad Pitt tour-de-force? :) What about Legends of the Fall, or some other good film?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That's probably because I've seen Fight Club over fifty times and is one of my favourite movies. Besides, Brad Pitt was good in Legends of the Fall but the movie was damned slow. The next movie that would come to mind would be Snatch.

Fight Club had a good premise, but decended into farce when the writer didn't know how to end the story. Pitt was okay in it, but I prefered his performance in Legends of the Fall, if only because we get Anthony Hopkins as well; the two of them produce some excellent perfomances. Sure it was slow, it wasn't an action film: it was a character film.

After that, Interview with a Vampire, or even the bit parts in Thelma & Louise and True Romance strike me as demonstrative of his talents.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT