King Kong

Kor Qel Droma

I thought the part that caused the most uproar was cutting the ending of the book out of the movie. I've only read Fellowship(And that took me nearly 2 months of forcing myself to read it. Dear god that book was boring) so I don't know much about the Harrowing of the Shire or whatever it was, except that most people I've asked about it think its the best part of the series.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I thought the part that caused the most uproar was cutting the ending of the book out of the movie. I've only read Fellowship(And that took me nearly 2 months of forcing myself to read it. Dear god that book was boring) so I don't know much about the Harrowing of the Shire or whatever it was, except that most people I've asked about it think its the best part of the series.

The book gets better later on and Gimli isn't such a wimp. Maybe you should try them if you love the movies.

Thanks for the trailer. It looks better than I expected.

Scouring of The Shire, IMO it was crap in the book and didnt make sense in the film version of Return of The King seeing as they cut out Chris Lee altogether and it would have been even longer.

I liked that bit a lot. It was in keeping with Tolkein's very cynical world-view (that inspired him to write the books in the first place); he was dead against "hollywood endings", and wanted to impart some of the gritty soiling of real life onto his characters.

I was horrified to see Christopher Lee's Saruman killed off like the Friend's Provident Mutual Society pirates in the supporting feature interdiction of Monty Python's Meaning of Life film.

Still, I would never have thought that book(s) could have been made a film, so I tip my tam-o'shanter to Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens for their hurculean script writing efforts to manefest this miracle.

Having said that, I didn't like the end of the third film, because it seemed to skate between the original material and some sort of hollywood ending, without doing justice to either.

Kong looks good, though.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, its too Christian. Well actually a little bit, but its Disney film.

Too Christian? When was that a bad thing? :devil: If you're of a different religion, I can understand. Even still, you don't have to picture it as that. Just try and enjoy it in its own universe. I read most of the series, and it's pretty good, but I think LOTR is better.

And having scene the visuals in that film, I'm definitely sure they were LOTR inspired. I'm kind of up in the air as to whether I'm going to see it or not.

Peter Jackson a ahack? Only a fool who knows NOTHING about movies would think that. Must come from the same Camp For Over Self Indulgent Have No Clue Wannabe Movie Critics that also claim that George Lucas can't direct. :shifty:

*yawn*

Anyways, King Kong looks good. It might even be better. Then again, in my minority opinion, that is *usually* the case. :shifty:"

:p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

After seeing Van Helsing, *ducks* I made a personal golden rule of screenwriting. If a climactic battle contains nothing but CGI characters, there's a serious storytelling problem, and it looks like Kong might have quite a lot of such moments.

I agree that he's a very shiny CGI, however, and I like Peter Jackson enough that I'll probably give it a spin in spite of my reservations. I may even get a Gollum-level surprise.

Or am I completely off-base and you perhaps meant Jack Black? :rolleyes:"

Peter Jackson a ahack? Only a fool who knows NOTHING about movies would think that. Must come from the same Camp For Over Self Indulgent Have No Clue Wannabe Movie Critics that also claim that George Lucas can't direct. :rolleyes:

*yawn*

Anyways, King Kong looks good. It might even be better. Then again, in my minority opinion, that is *usually* the case. o:)"

:lol:

Then again, I think Gigli was an awesome movie, so my critique probably isn't the best in the world. 

Peter Jackson a ahack? Only a fool who knows NOTHING about movies would think that. Must come from the same Camp For Over Self Indulgent Have No Clue Wannabe Movie Critics that also claim that George Lucas can't direct.

If you're going to try to insult me, at least have it make sense. How does not liking Jackson's work make me "self-indulgent"?

"Then again, I think Gigli was an awesome movie, so my critique probably isn't the best in the world."

Awesome? No, i said it was good, and much better than the fools think.

"How does not liking Jackson's work make me "self-indulgent"?"

Not an insult, just a fact. You actually believe that your opinion is factual when you call Jackson a hack even when all the evidence points to you being wrong. Your self indulgent as no matter the evidence you cling to the needy belief that everyone but you is wrong.

Don't be sad. We all go through phases like that. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

After seeing Van Helsing, *ducks* I made a personal golden rule of screenwriting.  If a climactic battle contains nothing but CGI characters, there's  a serious storytelling problem, and it looks like Kong might have quite a lot of such moments.

This case is an exception, though. And I don't mean just for the reason that Peter Jackson rocks and Stephen Summers is a hack.

You see, if you look at the original 1933 version of King Kong, it had a climatic battle containing nothing but stop-motion characters. Filming something like that isn't all that different from filming something containing nothing but CGI characters. It just requires a different technique to put it in after filming. And considering it rocked in the original, there's no reason why it shouldn't work here. There is also no other way to do a large scale and fast-paced battle such as this with puppets, unless you want to cop-out and show loads of close-ups and shake the camera around to make it seem like something is happening, and we all know how that worked out for The Bourne Supremacy(one of the worst movies of recent times) or even Alien vs. Predator(believe it or not, the first actual Alien vs. Predator fight was mostly puppeteering, and it boy, did it suck). An example of one it worked is the only scene in Jurassic Park 3 that was actually worth watching, the T-rex Spinosaur battle. That was awesome. Too bad the rest of the movie sucked so much.

I liked Bourne Supremacy too... :thumbsup: "one of the worst movies of recent times" is an overstatement i think. Hellboy was out around the same time and that sucked donkey balls.

ANyway Loads of CGI or lack thereof is no indication of quality. A fantasy scene has to look believable for people to buy it and CGI is the best way to go.