What did Malachor look like?

Was it like Dantooine? But the only difference was that it was a cover for the hidden Sith Academy? Or was it more like Korriban, a barren slightly volcanic waste?

I'm thinking it was like Dantooine sort of. Though it hid the mighty Sith Academy there, which is what scared the Mandalorians into making it a Taboo world.

there were no trees...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Was it like Dantooine? But the only difference was that it was a cover for the hidden Sith Academy? Or was it more like Korriban, a barren slightly volcanic waste?

I'm thinking it was like Dantooine sort of. Though it hid the mighty Sith Academy there, which is what scared the Mandalorians into making it a Taboo world.

Not sure it was ever a 'viable' world like Dantooine. It did look more volcanic, with sharp peaks and caverns and gas pockets, and those things would probably have been part of its makeup from the get-go. Remember, too, that the Sith merely took over an existing structure for their academy, one that had presumably been created (at the core) by an ancient race. Whether that race used it because of its power, or were the cause of its power, is unexplained; but at some point that power became darkside, which was what drew the modern Sith to it. So all that time under darkside influence would most likely have brought out the worst of what was already there, making it an ugly, totally depressing world. But I'd think there was a reason this ancient race built in the core rather than on the surface--perhaps, as you said, as a cover, but certainly because the surface was unsuitable.

As far as the Mandalorians go, obviously this taboo is deep in their lore, but I wonder why. Canderous/Mandalore is pretty much darkside, as is their general philosphy. So why are they repelled? A racial enemy far in the past?