Would Mace Windu Have beaten Sidious?

Would Mace Windu have Sidious if Anakin Wasn't There?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would Mace Windu have Sidious if Anakin Wasn't There?

• yes
    • no

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that Palpatine really was faking it.  His dual seemed rather slow, and from what I've heard from GL and the novel, it makes perfect sense as to why he'd be holding back.

Again, the duel is slow because it's a duel performed by real actors in contrast to Palps vs Yoda that is CGI. Do you know how old Ian McDiarmid is?

That is NOT a solid argument.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

perhaps we should have all the forum members meet with little kenner lightsaber and try to beat eachother to a pulp.... It would still be the same effect.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that Palpatine really was faking it.  His dual seemed rather slow, and from what I've heard from GL and the novel, it makes perfect sense as to why he'd be holding back.

Again, the duel is slow because it's a duel performed by real actors in contrast to Palps vs Yoda that is CGI. Do you know how old Ian McDiarmid is?

That is NOT a solid argument.

Yes, true, but Sidious was still real in his dual with Yoda! The speed at which Sidious moved in that dual was his own. Human reflexes are not that slow, even with two of them. If GL wanted to, he could have easily sped up the dual scene between him and Mace Windu. It's not that hard.

Even still, that's not the only reason I think Sidious was holding back; it's only one of them. And don't forget, Vader still died destroying the Emperor. :cool:

Yes, true, but Sidious was still real in his dual with Yoda! The speed at which Sidious moved in that dual was his own.

No, he wasn't. It's a blatant CGI sequence.

The speed at which Sidious moved in that dual was his own.  Human reflexes are not that slow, even with two of them.

I'd like to see you try and perform a lightsaber fight choreography, and then perhaps you'd have a higher opinion of a 60+ year old man doing the same stuff.

If GL wanted to, he could have easily sped up the dual scene between him and Mace Windu.  It's not that hard. 

That kind of tricks are really lame and result in pretty awful sequences.

Even still, that's not the only reason I think Sidious was holding back; it's only one of them.  And don't forget, Vader still died destroying the Emperor.  :cool:

Well, I think that Palps was pretending, and probably he was not trying to kill Mace. Which isn't necessarily the same as hold back.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yes, true, but Sidious was still real in his dual with Yoda! The speed at which Sidious moved in that dual was his own.

No, he wasn't. It's a blatant CGI sequence.

The speed at which Sidious moved in that dual was his own.  Human reflexes are not that slow, even with two of them.

I'd like to see you try and perform a lightsaber fight choreography, and then perhaps you'd have a higher opinion of a 60+ year old man doing the same stuff.

If GL wanted to, he could have easily sped up the dual scene between him and Mace Windu.  It's not that hard. 

That kind of tricks are really lame and result in pretty awful sequences.

Even still, that's not the only reason I think Sidious was holding back; it's only one of them.  And don't forget, Vader still died destroying the Emperor.  :cool:

Well, I think that Palps was pretending, and probably he was not trying to kill Mace. Which isn't necessarily the same as hold back.

And I have seen fast sword fights, not just in movies. I've seen fencing and medieval-style swordplay, and I have seen people move pretty fast.

And I meant "speed up" as in have them speed up their movements, not the film itself. :"> Sorry about that.

He was CGI?? :shifty: I'll have to look harder next time. Oh well. Let us move on. :shifty:

you do realize how hard it would be for Ian Mcdimond to movie in that costume with any sort of agility?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Eh, Mace was kind of a one-dimensional, action figure oriented, bubble gum character anyway. I don't care if he's Samuel Jackson- Mace was all hype and no substance.

This one clearly hasn't read Shatterpoint. Unless of course that was a self-critique - in which case, who am I too judge? ^_^

manthing2.jpg

Personally I think Sidious orchestrated the whole thing. My guess is that he saw a picture of the future and figured there was no way he could die against Windu. However I do not think that Sidious saw the whole picture and there are several aspects of the scene that lead me to believe that.

From everything that Lucas has portrayed in regards to Windu, I got the simple sense that he was the best lightsaber duelist that the movies have to offer. Every opponent he faces he's taken down with extreme ease. Sidious was certainly stronger in the force and probably more knowledgable, but that doesn't mean he was the best with sabers. I certainly don't think Maul was more powerful than Qui-Gon, but he certainly seemed to be more skilled with the saber and the distinction proved to be deadly.

I think what happened was that Sidious expected he could hold off Windu until Anakin arrived. Windu suprised him with his superiour saber technique. He then ended up trying to hold Windu off with the sheer power of the dark side. Why else would he disfigure himself? I actually think he was afraid that his visions might have been wrong.

When Anakin intervenes Sidious immediately does a 180 in attitude. My guess is that he saw Anakin as his apprentice in his visions, and when he saw Anakin attack Windu he KNEW his visions were right and he gained his courage back and pressed the attack.

Simply stated I think Windu was the better of the two in regards of lightsabers and got the upper hand. Disagree if you will, but that's my opinion.

In the Duel with mace a McDiarmid was (understandably) replaced by a CGI stuntman in many places. In some quick shots i think they also just pasted a cgi mask on a real stunt guy. TBH Sam jackson seemed equally slow (vapaad looks like a bunch of crap to me ^_^ ) But i guess it could be said that they were fighting in a particular style, heavily dependant on stance and form and it was in a confined space... or something.

I have to say that I think the acting on jacksons part at the end of that saber fight was probably the best of the prequals and maybe even the OT though I'll have to chech on that one. Certainly the best I've seen from an actor working under lucas.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

I have to say that I think the acting on jacksons part at the end of that saber fight was probably the best of the prequals and maybe even the OT though I'll have to chech on that one. Certainly the best I've seen from an actor working under lucas.

No way dude. I thought it was the worst Mace acted in episode 3, the way he was shouting just didnt seem right, not like how he could be, and then the ahhhh scream sounded more cheesey than darth vaders "nooo" at the end of the movie.

Sam has done mace better...and I thought his climactic death would be much better....

Ian's acting was the best in the prequel trilogy, I'd have to say, especially the scene in the theatre....

I forget the exact quote when he's talkingabout his master being afraid to lose his power, and he says that line about saving others but not himself, the look he gives is chilling

Ewen McGregor was by far and away the best actor in the prequels.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I didn't think he was very good in ATOC...."good call my young padawan"...ew....but in the first one he was alright...didnt look the part but was good enough, and good when qui gon died...

really...I think all of the actors except Sam improved in Revenge of the Sith....

"you were like a brother, I loved you....you were supposed to destroy the sith...not join them"

great line

"I hate you!"

haydens best line ever...only good line...

"He taught his apprentice everything he knew, and in his sleep, was killed by him...ironic...he could save others from dying...but not himself!"

perfect...foreshadow of palpatines fate too...