Would Mace Windu Have beaten Sidious?

Would Mace Windu have Sidious if Anakin Wasn't There?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would Mace Windu have Sidious if Anakin Wasn't There?

• yes
    • no

It's wasn't a stalemate, Mace was wiping the floor with Sidious.  He would have killed him, if not for Anakin.

Did you read the excerpt?

Because comments from Mace like "He's too strong for me" don't sound like something a guy would say when they're "wiping the floor" with someone.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mace could have killed him hands down. I don't read novelizations of movies. It's a movie. You watch it. ;) Just kidding, but seriously, I took it as his (Windu's) own self doubt. Believing you can't defeat someone is not the same thing as actually being unable to do it. He would have if not for Anakin.

The battle was going Sidious' way, until Mace went out to the window ledge. Sidious is scared of heights and that allowed Mace to cut his lightsaber in half.

But then again, the book didn't say that Palpatine was scared. When Mace called for Anakin to help, though, Palpatine was in controll again.

So, yes, I think Mace Windu would have killed Palpatine.

but if Mace cut Sids lightsaber in half, then how does he use it against Yoda in the Senate Chamber? ;)

Thank you for informing me that the duel between Mace and Palpatine was performed by real actors, I never would have known, honestly.

What, are you trying to be ironic? ;)

I shouldn't have to read comics or novels to be able to form a conclusion, If George Lucas doesn't have the directing or writing skills to explain everything in the movie, then it is his problem and not the problem of the viewer.

I agree. That doesn't mean your interpretation is correct, though. It can't be since you are making assumptions without having all the pieces. SW is not just movies, even if that's what carries the most weight when establishing the canon.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's wasn't a stalemate, Mace was wiping the floor with Sidious.  He would have killed him, if not for Anakin.

Did you read the excerpt?

Because comments from Mace like "He's too strong for me" don't sound like something a guy would say when they're "wiping the floor" with someone.

"Wiping the floor" is exaggerative. But Palpatine's "face lift" tells that he also isn't wiping any floor...

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

That was a bit much, but I still think he could have taken him.

Yes, but the luck was against him. (thanks to madman Anakin)

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

So here's a question. When does Anakin actually enter the scene? (Or maybe in the case of the novelization: when does his approach enter Palpatine's awareness?)

That seems key to me because actors don't waste their craft on empty houses. It's not the nature of the beast, even if the intended purpose of the acting is manipulation of another person. It's wasted effort, and foolish, and Palpatine certainly wasn't a fool. If Palpatine was acting weak for Anakin's benefit, there's no point in him doing it until his chosen pawn is in the room, and I seem to recall that His Imperial Badness looked to be on the ropes before Anakin even arrived. That's one hell of a risky warm-up to the main event, if you ask me.

Anybody help me out with this?

...and I seem to recall that His Imperial Badness looked to be on the ropes before Anakin even arrived.

The only time Sidious was ever "on the ropes" was when he was cowering with Mace standing over him as Anakin was standing there deciding who to side with with both Mace and Sidious trying to convince Anakin to side with them. So take that for whatever it's worth when deciding what you want to believe.

Any other time before that, Sidious was either killing three Jedi Masters in a matter of seconds, or going back and forth with Mace in their duel.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The only time Sidious was ever "on the ropes" was when he was cowering with Mace standing over him as Anakin was standing there... <snip>

's why I asked the question. Whether or not Anakin was in the room at the time is important to the "Palpatine had it all under control" argument.

Edit: Add this back since GhostofAnakin already quoted it.

I said on the ropes because something about that ferocious, focused look on Jackson's face.