Supreme Commander

Well, it seems that Chris Taylor is back to real time strategy games after venturing to pseudo-rpgs with Dungeon Siege and the like. Sadly, he doesn't have the rights to use the TA name or assets, but while being only a spiritual successor Supreme Commander looks and sounds hell of a lot like Total Annihilation.

TA almost reinvented the genre, SC tries to do it again:

http://forums.novadivine.com/index.php?sho...st=0entry1308

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Empire at War, meh. The big campaign thingie is nice and all, but that only works 1v1 online, and online is where I'll spend most of my time, so no.

AoE3 has potential. Though most of its features are just standard RTS (I never got into AoE1/2, I'm not actually a big fan of 'standard' RTS), the persistent homecity feature sounds really nice. Now that SupCom has been announced, though, I've lost all interest in this title :D

Company of Heroes looks pretty nice. Fully destructible environments (sure, AoE3 had physics too, but tanks > cannons). What sounds really interesting is the AI. Soldiers seeking cover, peeking to fire some shots and go back to their hiding spot. 2000 animations per unit :D And the animations will reflect what the AI is thinking as well. Very cool.

I used to be interested in Dragonshard. Then Liquid had the intelligence to scrap the nexus building system (the main coolest feature the game would have had) because it was 'too complicated' for testers. Meh.

Chris Taylor needs to merge with MCA to form the ultimate game designer.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

And it looks like SupCom will have auto-management of resources by the bigarse commander as well.

My main gripes with Empire at War is, as mentioned, the big campaign limited to 1v1, but also the freaking 2d plane for space battles. If you do space battles, you put a 3rd plane. 'Too complicated for players', meh.

Hadescopy.jpg

It's not strictly a 2D plane. There are a number of horizontal planes that you can move to in the space battles, so if you want to fly under the ship, then you can.

As for Empire at War's 1vs1 campaign mode.....well...it's better than any other campaign mode I've ever played multiplayer in an FPS (which is none).

I'll admit I haven't played many RTS games, but I never noticed a multiplayer campaign mode in C&C, SC, or AOE. I never played RON except for the demo. I don't believe TA (yay for acronyms) had a multiplayer campaign either.

I felt that Star Wars Rebellion had a lot of potential, and I'm hoping that this game will actually deliver.

Company of Heroes on the other hand....WOW. I have high hopes for this game. I have been waiting for a spiritual successor to Close Combat for a looooooong time. I'm hoping this game delievers.

I tried getting into games like Codename: Panzers and stuff, but when I sneak behind an enemy tank and shoot it, and it starts to lose HP at a faster rate...then I go ALT-F4 and uninstall the game. In close combat, sneaking behind an enemy tank pretty much meant death for that tank. I loved the realism and the attention to detail. Hiding a bazooka man in a two-storie building and waiting for that Tiger to go by me, waiting the whole time for the perfect time to strike was intense enough as it was.....watching the Tiger go up in smoke afterwards was absolutely exhilirating.

It was also frustrating to be careless with your Sherman and having him move into a long street, at the last second noticing there's a FlaK 88 at the end of the road and scrambling to get him to move before the shoot. BOOM, now I have a huge road block for my tank column and life is going to be much more difficult.

Waiting for the perfect ambush with an MG42 squad when defending the Bridge at Son and watching them cut down two whole fully exposed infantry squads was great! Ugh, so many memories.

I'm with you on the close combat series, alanschu. but for me it was the elemnt of morale and control that got me interested. Because you couldn't depend on everyone fighting as hard as you'd like. Most of the men under your command weren't heroes. They wanted to stay alive. Nor did they always understand your orders clearly. it was a very crude representation, but it made things so much better.

If you played on the the Russian Front you will remember the sound of the wind howling through the trees... fantastic. My one biggest concern was that the enemy tanks made no damn noise, so you could quite literally be snuck up on by a T34, which is rather unlikely.

As for the poll, I really dislike what i think are the hallmars of Bioware in products. Cheap and Cheerful fantasy, happy elves, smiling hobbits, wise fething wizards. Yechh.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have a need for good fantasy strategy games at the moment. Warcraft III was an utter failure (in the RTS front; the custom map front is great) in my eyes and most modern RTS games are either historical, modern, or futuristic. Not that I can't enjoy a good fight between tanks and marines, but it gets really old after the 12th game with the same theme, not to mention missing some of the core features I miss from fantasy games (namely a good, gameplay-centric unit advancement / magic system).

In the same vein, I thirst for a game that would take the basic idea of the Homeworld series and take them to the next level. Relic's Dawn of War was more or less a good game, but it came nowhere close to being as fresh as their original Homeworld was. Where have all the great space operas gone? I'm talking the ones where different races of the galaxy collided in battle and gigantic capitol ships lit the night sky with their massive cannons while fighters and frigates danced about each other like fire flies. Where you could build your own dreadnoughts and launch them into the dead of space as a last desperate strike against your victorious enemies. Where things like bombing tech for planetary bombardment and death rays for capturing ships had not yet become "too complicated." Oh, the nostalgia!

Anyhow, here's to the hope that we get away from the "realistic modern warfare" trend the strategy (and action) genre has made cliche as of late. I think that dozens and dozens of CS and AoE-clones really make a dent on the idea that "you could never have too much of a good thing".

There are doors

In the same vein, I thirst for a game that would take the basic idea of the Homeworld series and take them to the next level.  Relic's Dawn of War was more or less a good game, but it came nowhere close to being as fresh as their original Homeworld was.  Where have all the great space operas gone? I'm talking the ones where different races of the galaxy collided in battle and gigantic capitol ships lit the night sky with their massive cannons while fighters and frigates danced about each other like fire flies.  Where you could build your own dreadnoughts and launch them into the dead of space as a last desperate strike against your victorious enemies.  Where things like bombing tech for planetary bombardment and death rays for capturing ships had not yet become "too complicated."  Oh, the nostalgia!

I hate you. I now want a game like that. :lol:

I'm with you on the close combat series, alanschu. but for me it was the elemnt of morale and control that got me interested. Because you couldn't depend on everyone fighting as hard as you'd like. Most of the men under your command weren't heroes. They wanted to stay alive. Nor did they always understand your orders clearly. it was a very crude representation, but it made things so much better.

If you played on the the Russian Front you will remember the sound of the wind howling through the trees... fantastic. My one biggest concern was that the enemy tanks made no damn noise, so you could quite literally be snuck up on by a T34, which is rather unlikely.

As for the poll, I really dislike what i think are the hallmars of Bioware in products. Cheap and Cheerful fantasy, happy elves, smiling hobbits, wise fething wizards. Yechh.

Yeah, it was cool that suppression fire and whatnot was actually effective. After being shelled by that 88 for a few minutes, even if I hadn't lost any men, I still had to accept the fact that the squad was as good as gone, since they weren't doing anything any time soon. It was bittersweet to hear the "We're pinned down!" when you gave an order :D

Personally i think rebellion should rule the market :ph34r: Just kidding I find that Dawn of War is actually very fast paced compared to everyone else's to get recources all you do is capture strategic points then you can make those into a little base to act as a way point for your forces.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who didn't get to see the PC Gamer article, Gamespy has the first online coverage of the game.

http://archive.gamespy.com/landing/supremecom/

Right now you can read the preview and some description of the factions. Interview with Chris Taylor and description of land/naval/air warfare to come tomorrow.

Hadescopy.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Haegamonia, Good game. A tad short on the 3d aspect of it, but otherwise I loved it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 3 weeks later...

:::Raise Dead:::

Raise thread, so that you could flourish again!

Anyway, I found this coverage http://archive.gamespy.com/landing/supremecom/ somewhat late and have just realised how amazing this game could really be. The thought of flooding entire continents with units, submerged aircraft carriers seizing control of coastlines and nukes leaving the landscape raped while entire worlds burn; leaves almost giggling. Add insanely bombastic music and you got one overkill of a game.

Me can't wait.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Amen.

kirottu said: