What's Your Favorite Gaming Moment?

The ending moments of Monkey Island 2, Fate Of Atlantis, probably all of Little Big Adventure 2, ohh and UFO and X-Com - some damn good, scary moments in those two,

completing Zelda: Links Awakening ages ago on the Gameboy (and Ultima Runes of Virtue on the Gameboy for that matter), the last few bits of Beneath a Steel Sky, the atmosphere of Doom 3, the atmosphere of Fallout (first time I played it was like midnight - superb), errrrr yeah. Think that's everything (w00t) oh yeah and completing Maniac Mansion for the first time after so long. :p

The first time I loaded up Gothic and discovered that I had no idea how the controls worked (second hand copy imported from England without manual), I had no idea who I was or where I was. Then I strolled down the mountain at the start and when I turned a corner, the game suddenly opened up and you could see a river glistening in the sun below and even further away an entire city fill up the horizon. It was a magic moment and a 'love at first sight' experience. What really sealed the deal of playing Gothic for the first time being memorable enough, was when I reached the bottom of the mountain and entered a light forest (after some gruesome fighting). Everything was so silent, calm and serene, and the graphics were so beautiful (I thought at the time) so I just wandered around admiring the scenery.. when suddenly a PACK of wolves attacked me from behind with a huge ROAARRR. I could only sit there, with my heart pounding in my chest, and watch as the wolves tore my poor adventurer to shreds. It was a powerful (and very shocking) experience. Gothic never holds your hand. Never.

Another memorable gaming moment was when I managed to assemble VAX and have him wait for me outside the last battle in Wasteland. I had no idea games could offer so much until I had played Wasteland (in 1987).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Counting my ammo, huddled against a corner, before going against The Many in System Shock 2. It was like nothing else existed besides the game. It was perfect immersion.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't need to now. :'(

Heh, if you actually were planning on playing either game (time to dig out the floppy drive, and the old cloth map), you'd be happy to know that I have spoiled so unbelievably little of it.....

Besides, it's the fantastic dialogue and problem solving that made the game so great.

I honestly could have known the entire plot and still would not have had an ounce of trouble playing it :D

I still might pick them up and play them, for nostalgia's sake. *reminisces about the ankh and cloth map *

Now there's an anti-pirating methodology that really works: a cloth map! Just to awkward to photocopy, and buying the game gives you the original cloth map! and ankh! to keep!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I really miss getting those little goodies in my game boxes. Nowadays I get the games for free, but I rarely even get a printed manual. Usually I just get a DVD (or CD) in an envelope.

I know for a fact that I would have bought a whole lot more games when I was younger, had they contained more stuff like cloth maps, ankh's or miniature action figures. The Gold Box games only contained a code wheel (at least in Sweden) which sucked because the boxes were large enough to hold a.. fridge.. or a piano.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The entire game of Planescape: Torment aside, my favourite gaming moment was in Myth:TFL, where the mission was to cross the River of Blood. Took my little band all the way around the edge of the map, (to go straight to the bridge was suicide) and realized there was a Troll on the other side, waiting to stomp us all flat, and he would have too.

Hoping to at least wound the Troll a little, I sent one dwarf/knome to the midpoint and dropped all his bomb-packs in a pile. My plan was to lure the Troll across, and then ignite the bombs when he got close enough.

I started throwing molotov ****tails at the Troll and other assorted bad guys, to begin my trap, but I couldn't throw them close enough. Some of the ****tails went out when they hit the ground, and just laid there. Instead of going with a plan B, as I didn't have one, I kept on throwing those ****tails, hoping some miracle would happen... and eventually it did.

The last one I threw exploded as it should, but the blast tossed several other unexploded duds into the air, and well within range of the baddies. The miracle was that the blast also re-ignited the duds! (w00t) ... killed a full half of the bad guys and wounded the troll, as I'd hoped, and I still had my trap ready for him.

The troll still had plenty of fight in him, and charged across the bridge. The dwarf ran back to the opposite side as fast as his stubby legs could carry him, and readied himself to throw the ****tail that would ignite the trap. When the Troll was a few steps away from the bomb-packs, I threw the ****tail... and the flame went out in mid-air!

The few survivors of the mission lamented the little dwarf/knome who bravely gave his life so that the day might eventually be won, even as they cursed the Troll who sent his head flying past them with one mighty kick.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Yes, finding out about James was a great moment, I felt depressed for real when it happened. And I guess that was the intention. In fact , the whole game made me feel just as bad as James did.

Probably the most depressing and dark game I've ever played, and I loved it!

I sort of suspected

he killed her

, but it affected me as much anyway.

I really miss getting those little goodies in my game boxes. Nowadays I get the games for free, but I rarely even get a printed manual. Usually I just get a DVD (or CD) in an envelope.

It's not like you would get anything else with the retail version...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's not like you would get anything else with the retail version...

Certainly not on Steam ...!

Unless they mailed a thankyou souvenir widget, post facto.

More likely they would just include a months free subscription to an adult website.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

When Firkraag, the red dragon in BG 2, was polymorphed into a squirrel by Nalia then he killed my paladin with his fire breath.  I laughed so hard I nearly vomitted. 

FEEL MY SQUIRRELLY WRATH!

I can't believe you got that to work! I tried for ages to do such a combo, with decreased magic resistance and so on. That sounds hilarious.

Gaming wise it would have to be the time I stayed up for two and a half days solid, completing quake II, which resulted in some hefty 'Fear and Loathing' style hallucinations, and paranoia. I was in fps mode for days afterwards, calculating the angles for bouncing grenades off walls and so on.

Otherwise I'm a sucker for comedy in games, and hence my affection for Black Isle work. I think just about every single one of Jan Jansen's gnomish irrelevancies was funny, except the ones in the final bit of BG2, where he was trying to bait Boo off Minsc. The dialogue at the end of the series if Jan is in your party is likewise perfect.* I won't quote them here in case some of you haven't played it yet.

I don't think I'm giving away anything when I say that I loved the trick answer you could give the gatekeeper in Fallout 2 to pass the anti-pirating code verification. Absolute respect to the company for putting that in. Just for having the balls to do something that was funny at the expense of security.

*Yet his cousin Jansen in NWN is completely tedious. What gives?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.