What's Your Favorite Gaming Moment?

What was your unforgettable gaming moment? This doesn't have to be actually a moment in the game, it could be the first time you ever played a certain game/system, too. Mine was probably finding out that

you were Revan in Kotor

And yeah there are probably better twists than that but I don't play a lot of RPGS...

Probably the ending areas of torment.

When all your companions gets confronted by the Transcendent One, one by one, and the conversations he has with them.

And I liked the choices you had at the very end of course, when you could decide how to deal with the final boss.

Maybe recently playing Zelda II for NES from beginning to end and, without cheating, beating the game for the first time, on the same NES on which I first played it, on the same cart, with the same controller, using the very same save slot I first used 17 years ago. Same applies for Dragon Warrior. I created my character 17 years ago, and just finally used him to beat the game for the first time in the last year.

For story elements, maybe

using the bronze sphere, meeting the first incarnation and absorbing the mad incarnation

in Planescape: Torment. Either that or

speaking to Deionarra for the first time

. Very haunting.

Probably Deus Ex when you first learn what's really going on behind closed doors in the very very beginning (ie after your first real mission)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My favorite gaming moment is getting that game I've been waiting for and starting to play it. It always goes downhill from there.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ender, I must admit, I have mad respect for you since you seem to be an Ultima fan. I eventually did finish Ultima IV like you suggested :D

But yeah, Dupre was a shocker. Same with finding the evidence that confirmed my suspicions that Batlin was indeed a bad dude, and that I was on the hitlist along with Lord British :eek:

Other big moments are:

The ending of Torment

The ending of Fallout

When you take out the Universal Constructor in Hong Kong in Deus Ex, when everything seems to be pointing to the end of the game (and I would have been VERY happy with my purchase just given the game I had played), only to find out there was MORE :D :D :D

Reaching the surface for the first time in Half-Life and realizing that the help that was sent isn't very "helpful"

One unforgettable moment was with a fun simple game called Uprising...the unforgettable moment was that it forced me to use mouselook, completely changing the way I played FPS games and amplifying my skill in them tenfold.

The video at the end of the second act of Duke Nukem, when you find out he wasn't just trash talking when he said "I'm going to rip off your head and sh** down your throat"

Beating GoldenEye on 007 mode, with all the cheats unlocked, cementing my claim among my friends and peers as being THE ultimate GoldenEye player (as if my owning them in multiplayer wasn't enough :D)

My first Cavalry flank in Rome: Total War with my Heavy Cavalry. Mowing down two whole units of soldiers was immensely satisfying.

Convincing Zaalbar to be not so nice to Mission in KOTOR. I am fairly used to Bioware's Evil-Lite approach, but to see that they actually incorporated something as evil and manipulative as this was very cool!

Yoshimo's betrayal!!!

If I can think of any more, I'll be sure to put them down.

Also Ultima VII: Serpent Isle, but for me it was

the showdown with Batlin at the Wall of Lights

, not only for the drama of it, but also for the realisation that you're a long long way from finishing the game.

Games are too short nowadays. :p

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The ending of the scene was pretty cool too. The Guardian was not one to mess with.

Learning that the Guardian was evil in Ultima VII was cool in its own right.

I so wish I could still play these games. The last time I tried was either on my P166 or my K6-2 333....not sure which one. BUT, the game went SO fast, that before I realized it, enough time had elapsed that my guys were passing out from starving so much.

If I recall, the part where you meet up with Batlin.....isn't that where your most loyal companions go all loopy?

I must say, the one part where you see the demented Iolo in Shamino's castle with the red eyes sent shivers down my spine.

Actually, since we're on the Ultima VII: Part II,

I also loved the trial in Fawn. I remember that one time I failed miserably in defending Dupre....but something helps me out along the way to keep the plot moving....but I also remember one time doing a stellar job and everyone being amazed at my performance and getting him off no problem :D

I also remember the neat swamp that would always pass you out, and the cool dungeon that.

And considering I had my Soundblaster so it was cool with sound. I very much remember one part, when, just after you get the Serpent Earrings, a bigass serpent appears on your screen and starts talking to you. Scared the bejezzus out of me.

Getting seduced by Frigidazzi was cool...and watching Fibelircio (sp?) sentence you to the dungeon. And using the daemon sword against the uber-mage to get out of that dungeon.

Ahh....soooooo many memories.

I so wish I could still play these games.

Dosbox. The game runs perfectly, without errors and with music and sound effects. All my old games run fine with it.

Having all your party

possessed by demons - forcing you to find a way to save them - it was fantastic. Loading all their equipment onto automata takes ages...

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I so wish I could still play these games.

Dosbox. The game runs perfectly, without errors and with music and sound effects. All my old games run fine with it.

Having all your party possessed by demons - forcing you to find a way to save them - it was fantastic. Loading all their equipment onto automata takes ages...

When they all dropped their inventory, I immediately reloaded the game because I was NOT going through that crap.

It was dumb that everything doesn't remain in the backpack, so I just had them drop them before the encounter :D

As for that DosBox...interesting. I'll have to look into it. Although I'm not so sure where my copies of either game are...they're still at my parent's place somewhere. And I hope the cloth map is with the first one, as well as the manual for both of them so that I can actually pass the copy protection :thumbsup:

That and I need a floppy drive :p

I don't need to now. :'(

Heh, if you actually were planning on playing either game (time to dig out the floppy drive, and the old cloth map), you'd be happy to know that I have spoiled so unbelievably little of it.....

Besides, it's the fantastic dialogue and problem solving that made the game so great.

I honestly could have known the entire plot and still would not have had an ounce of trouble playing it :D

Exult is even better than Dosbox, since Dosbox often can't handle the sound properly, and you may also need to adjust for sound.

Exult even adds some new features, such as changing resolution, using the nicer paper dolls in Ultima VII, etc.

Exult is a new engine that will run both UVII and SI, with both add-ons.

The Forge of Virtue is very cool.

I never did play the expansions. I heard that Forge of Virtue is where the Avatar gets the Blackrock Sword is it not?

It sounded like there were "extra area" expansions, where the Avatar would eventually return to Britannia to continue his quest in VII.

To use those programs, do I just need to install the games on my HD and go from there?

Heh, if you actually were planning on playing either game (time to dig out the floppy drive, and the old cloth map), you'd be happy to know that I have spoiled so unbelievably little of it.....

Besides, it's the fantastic dialogue and problem solving that made the game so great.

I honestly could have known the entire plot and still would not have had an ounce of trouble playing it :D

Heh, alright then, that's good to read. I was a bit dismayed there. :D

I never did play the expansions.  I heard that Forge of Virtue is where the Avatar gets the Blackrock Sword is it not?

It sounded like there were "extra area" expansions, where the Avatar would eventually return to Britannia to continue his quest in VII.

To use those programs, do I just need to install the games on my HD and go from there?

Yep, they are sidequests with extra areas. They can be started at any time.

The Blackrock sword is *interesting*.

Given it's use in Serpent Isle, I can imagine about the Blackrock Sword :p

I don't really think this is spoilerish...but meh :thumbsup:

Wasn't there two expansions for the game? Or was it one for each?

Getting that last 'A' grade in NiGHTS ranks highly for me, but probably my favourite moment was when I beat Lavos for the first time in Chrono Trigger. The extreme excitement mixed with relief was an unbelieveable feeling.

I got a similar feeling from beating Demons Gate and Carry Armor in FFVII (because both were disproportionately difficult to other bossess at the points where they appeared in the game. However, they weren't the last bosses, so the feeling wasn't the same as beating Lavos.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Wasn't there two expansions for the game?  Or was it one for each?

There was an expansion for Serpent's Isle called the Silver Seed. It was a much larger expansion, but it had a very large bug that I don't believe ever got patched. Maybe it's patched with Exult.

There is a column you click on very late in Serpent's Isle when you are being tested in a Temple of Chaos.

They reused that very same column a few times in one room in the Silver Seed area. Clicking on said column jumps you forward to the end of the game, and is very jarring. I had no idea what happened.