How much more time does religion have?

WITHTEETH

So how much longer would you guess? Common sense defies that god exists. The Information age is here. There is little intellectual support because... they are intellects :D Science does not point to a God. there is no God gene, it has to be conditioned, so it comes down to brain washing the new generations. How Much longer will religion last?

I heard a rumor of another Rapture date of 2012AD When God saves us from his followers. :blink:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

1. There are plenty of religious scientists (although they are just as likely to be Jewish as Christian or Muslim, and all the religions are represented, just as agnostics and atheists are).

2. Science does not how metaphysical answers (i.e. those beyond the laws of science).

3. There is actually a part of the brain (frontal lobe, near the pineal gland, IIRC) that has been shown to become active during religious experiences, and those people with a larger section tend to have stronger religious experiences: whether this is a transceiver to god, human collective unconscious, the noosphere, or a centre for illusory stimulation for distraction is not clear.

4. If god did not exist it would have been necessary to invent him. (Voltaire)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

the human race has always had different religions and gods, as we all know. And only one of those hundreds of religions can be the correct one.

So I draw the conclusion that people have some sort of inner need to believe in something, and will always do so, to some extent.

At least some people will....

It might be a religion, supernatural phenomenons, or something else.

I don't think religion will ever go away completely, but it will have a lesser impact on the society in the future.

I don't think I'm going to touch this. I've already done it many times before and it gets no where. But of course being the stubborn b*stard that I am, I'm going to participate. To answer your question, religion will survive until every last human is wiped out. It has become a part of society and will most likely never go away. There is a God in my opinion, and many people share this belief. Whether it be Allah, God, Buddah, etc. The point is that there will always be those who believe, and there is no way of changing that.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

the human race has always had different religions and gods, as we all know. And only one of those hundreds of religions can be the correct one.

So I draw the conclusion that people have some sort of inner need to believe in something, and will always do so, to some extent.

I don't think religion will ever go away completely, but it will have a lesser impact on the society in the future.

I do not beleive in religion, and neither do many people already. People of faith are conditioned to religion. Man has always had a hunger for answers but now we have a better way for answers. do we really need the traditional methods any longer? Yes but only because the need is their dependancy on it already due to their conditioning to religion. are you born with knowledge of this god? no. is there a God gene? no.

Religion is a meme, an idea that is spread throughout society by conditioning. I don't doubt that some people who may have a genetic predisposition for mental illness might find themselves attracted to that meme.

Meme Wikipedia Link

Religion is spread as all knowledge is, by conditioning. Have you heard of memes?

Humans tend to have a drive to understand and give meaning to themselves and the world around them. Religion is a cheap and easy meme to fulfill that drive.

Myspace Website!

My rig

Religion is a meme ... Humans tend to have a drive to understand and give meaning to themselves and the world around them.  Religion is a cheap and easy meme to fulfill that drive.

... And so religion will continue to fulfill this role, because science will not.

QED

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I heard a rumor of another Rapture date of 2012AD When God saves us from his followers.  :rolleyes:

IIRC, this date comes from the Popol Vuh, the Mayan religious Book. Mayan cosmology and religion are highly based on astronomy and celestial observation. They have accurately predicted many stellar events, and in all honesty, their calendar is just as, if not more, accurate than our own.

According to their calculations, such an event will occur on December 21, 2012 when "the winter solstice sun conjuncts the crossing point of Milky Way and ecliptic in Sagittarius." (Had to look up the exact phenomena.) The crossing point is equivalent to the dark rift in the Milky Way, an area known as Xibalba to the ancient Maya. Xibalba was believed to the road to the Underworld. Thus, they believe that on this date (December 21, 2012) after 13 of their baktuns (a measurement of time) have passed, the world will end.

3. There is actually a part of the brain (frontal lobe, near the pineal gland, IIRC) that has been shown to become active during religious experiences, and those people with a larger section tend to have stronger religious experiences: whether this is a transceiver to god, human collective unconscious, the noosphere, or a centre for illusory stimulation for distraction is not clear.

If I am not mistaken, this is the part of the brain which reacts to and maintains our personal EM fields. When people are exposed to a certain frequency of electromagnetism, this area reacts, prompting a religious experience in some people. Others have experiences of aliens or UFOs. It is believed to be the main cause of both types of sightings.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Religion is a meme ... Humans tend to have a drive to understand and give meaning to themselves and the world around them.  Religion is a cheap and easy meme to fulfill that drive.

... And so religion will continue to fulfill this role, because science will not.

QED

I disagree. :rolleyes:

Myspace Website!

My rig

I do not beleive in religion, and neither do many people already. People of faith are conditioned to religion. Man has always had a hunger for answers but now we have a better way for answers. do we really need the traditional methods any longer? Yes but only because the need is their dependancy on it already due to their conditioning to religion. are you born with knowledge of this god? no. is there a God gene? no.

Religion is a meme, an idea that is spread throughout society by conditioning. I don't doubt that some people who may have a genetic predisposition for mental illness might find themselves attracted to that meme.

Meme Wikipedia Link

Religion is spread as all knowledge is, by conditioning. Have you heard of memes?

Humans tend to have a drive to understand and give meaning to themselves and the world around them. Religion is a cheap and easy meme to fulfill that drive.

Was I conditioned to believe in God? Yes. By my parents, not the church. The church only served as a reinforcement. But I abandoned the church long ago after seeing how corrupt it is. You say that you do not believe in God, and I respect that. I'm not going to sit here and "convert" you. That just plain dumb. My parents taught me somthing that the church didn't: tolerance.

Now, I have no proof that God exists. That's why they call it faith. But many who have found God have turned their lives around and made things better for themselves. You overlook the good that religion provides. Yes, religion causes many conflicts. But if you look past the church, you will see that religion gives hope to those who have none. It provides comfort in those dark places. If in the end, I find that God does not truly exist, then all I can say is that it was a beautiful lie. But right now I believe that he truly does exist.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

Ah, the perfect drug is religion. 11XHoorah any group that thinks that its possible to justify a holocaust thats 683 times bigger then then the jewish one (1/3 tthe population) is sick, do we really need that kind of hate? :rolleyes:

Edit:When i say holocaust i mean the eternal damnation of nonbelievers.

BTW I know your not one to justify this.

Myspace Website!

My rig

Ah, the perfect drug is religion. 11XHoorah any group that thinks that its possible to justify a holocaust thats 683 times bigger then then the jewish one (1/3 tthe population) is sick, do we really need that kind of hate? :(

Phew. I thought you were referring to a mass slaughter.

Edit: No Zagor, you didn't offend me. :)

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

Ah, the perfect drug is religion. 11XHoorah any group that thinks that its possible to justify a holocaust thats 683 times bigger then then the jewish one (1/3 tthe population) is sick, do we really need that kind of hate? :(

Was that a bit of sarcasm? :)

Myspace Website!

My rig

Doubtful. The Holocaust is known as attempted genocide, and thus most people associate it with mass murder. Making an unexplained connection between that and damnation is a pretty big leap in most cases.

I find it kind of sad

Was that a bit of sarcasm? :)

No. When I hear holocaust, I associate it with genocide. Just like Archmonarch said.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

Meme Wikipedia Link

Was I conditioned to believe in God? Yes. By my parents, not the church. The church only served as a reinforcement. But I abandoned the church long ago after seeing how corrupt it is. You say that you do not believe in God, and I respect that. I'm not going to sit here and "convert" you. That just plain dumb. My parents taught me somthing that the church didn't: tolerance.

Now, I have no proof that God exists. That's why they call it faith. But many who have found God have turned their lives around and made things better for themselves. You overlook the good that religion provides. Yes, religion causes many conflicts. But if you look past the church, you will see that religion gives hope to those who have none. It provides comfort in those dark places. If in the end, I find that God does not truly exist, then all I can say is that it was a beautiful lie. But right now I believe that he truly does exist.

Man, you sound like a pretty cool person.

My dad was a minister, for a time, he's still liscensed, can perform weddings and such.

A large part of the reason he's not still in the pastorate is because he pissed so many of his followers off with his messages of tolerance. Therefore when his wife walked out on him, and he essentially had to get a divorce, they were all too happy to get rid of him. :(

Actually, I'm considering going into the pastorate now. I intend to be the most apathetic preacher ever. Responding to idiocy with logic and tolerance.

I may or may not get married as I fully expect that I will be pissing many, many people off.

THank christians for my freedom? the elites who constructed this goverment were not christians, they were nearly all deist.

So your saying eternal damnation is ok? that it isn't as bad as genocide?

wow, im amazed.

sick.

The hell are you on about?

I find it kind of sad

In that case, though I too disagree with the concept and institution of religion, I am forced to play devil's advocate.

Well, I was going to do so, up until I read Meta's post. I agree with him and will desist. Though I do think playing with nutjobs on either side of the religious issue can be fun.

As Carlos Mencia says, "There are too many stupid people and no one to eat them."

I find it kind of sad

X11Horaah, So your saying eternal damnation is ok? that it isn't as bad as genocide?

wow, im amazed.

sick.

Attacking my beliefs are we? I've been respectful of yours, so please have the courtesy to do the same. If you don't agree, fine.

Before we get into this any further, I would like to know a little more about your beliefs so I can better understand where you are coming from. Where do you think we go after we die?

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--