A Battlefield 2 thread

Jumjalum

So Battlefield 2 is out and I'm surprised there's not more talk of it on the forums I frequent. I never played the original aside from the demo due to my lousy connection but now I've got broadband baby and its a good thing since I'm having a great time with BF2. CS was my online shooter of choice but I dont think I'll be going back for a while because I cant drive tanks around in CS or shoot huge gatling guns out the side of a chopper while the pilot frantically tries to dodge AA missiles.

It's a really cool feeling to see planes and choppers weave through the air overhead while you attempt to break an enemy position on foot with backup from tanks and APCs. I've certainly never played a game like it, UT2004 is probably its closest relation since I understand it has a lot of vehicles also but then I've never played UT2004 (I'm way behind on FPSs). The sound effects are outstanding for making you feel like part of the world, probably among the best sound I've heard in a game.

The graphics are good as well, a nice balance between looks and performance, although the trees look pretty terrible compared to everything else. No gripes about the gameplay so far, theres a new squad system that works really well with your squad leader serving as a mobile spawn point so you can reinforce behind enemy lines. And there's a new commander system with one member of the team looking on the action from a top down RTS view who can give squads orders and target artillery strikes, UAV sweeps and supply crates. Theres a lot of depth to the game so hopefully it will stand up to some rigorous playing.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Perhaps people here at obsidian are more into rpg's, maybe that's why no one talks about BF2. I don't really know, but that's my guess...

I only played the demo, and I liked it more than most fps-games I've played.

the graphics are stunning , that's for sure, and the gameplay was solid.

But I'm not going to buy it, it has too few rpg elements :wub:

I hope it will sell well though (and I think it will), digital illusions have had a place in my heart ever since they made pinball dreams :lol:

Perhaps people here at obsidian are more into rpg's, maybe that's why no one talks about BF2. I don't really know, but that's my guess...

That's my reason for not joining the discussion (until this post, that is). :thumbsup:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yeah, I've played the demo a lot and I'm probably going to get it when those losers at the stores around here have it available. Much better than '42 IMO.

That Su-34 is truly a creation of the devil...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Im not much of an online player since I moved and lost all my 1337 friends and just playing random games with strangers gets old.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Geeeeh! FPS talk on Obsidian forum? :blink:

I tried the BF2 demo, and I thought it was kinda boring myself.

Sure, the graphics was nice, but the gameplay, running around with a gun in your hand and hoping for headshots... or is that some other game... was terrible. Anyways, was just exactly like viet and bf42.

Ooohh well, I don't really like fps. It does something to your mind, and then you're never the same again.

I dont feel the need to get anal raped by online FPS players that been playing since Half Life days.

That is the problem I have with such games, I am not very good at FPS and I dont feel like joining a team of random people to get slaughted.

drakron.png

I dont feel the need to get anal raped by online FPS players that been playing since Half Life days.

That is the problem I have with such games, I am not very good at FPS and I dont feel like joining a team of random people to get slaughted.

For once we agree on something. I suck at FPS games, so it's no fun joining an online server where everyone is an expert and kills me within a few seconds of joining the game.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For once we agree on something. I suck at FPS games, so it's no fun joining an online server where everyone is an expert and kills me within a few seconds of joining the game.

If you arent good at killing people, play as a medic and join a squad. You can let everyone else do the killing while you keep low and occasionally run out and revive fallen comrades with your shock paddles. Medics are probably the easiest class to rack up points in - I wasn't even playing particularly well in my last game and I was third on the leaderboard. And I'm very far from being a FPS pro.

I hope it will sell well though (and I think it will), digital illusions have had a place in my heart ever since they made pinball dreams

I did wonder if that was the same digital illusions, me and my entire flat were completely addicted to pinball fantasies when I was at uni. I have a lot of fond memories of that series of games :thumbsup:

staringcontest8og.gif

If you arent good at killing people, play as a medic and join a squad.

You can do that in FPS games? Wow! I never knew that (because I never play FPS games). That actually sounds like fun. :rolleyes: Is this only in multi-player mode or in single-player mode too? I could spend hours running around healing people and telling them off for getting injured! :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I now have the sudden urge to go out and buy this game, sounds great :rolleyes: , damn financial limitations though.

That is pretty cool that you can be a medic in an FPS, i know i havent got this game, but what is the need of a medic, because after a few shots in most FPS's you die and then respawn anyway, so what do you need a medic for?? :huh:

You dont really need the medic, no. You usually bite the dust pretty quick. What the medic class in Bf1942 was used for, was as immortal stormtroopers since they could heal themselves indefinently.

Ive been looking at the demo and everything is awesome except that the whole thing with registering with gamespy servers etc. is unnescessary, I just wanna play damnit!! And I find it very distrubing that not only do you have to restart the game if you change the graphics, but you also have to wait for up to several minutes for it to "optimize textures" <_< so tweaking the graphics is a VERY time consuming process. And i accidentally choose swedish as language so it feels kind of funny.

But its fun. Just shooting yor gun into the air is fun :rolleyes: then you know theyve done it right.

*shoots AKN94 into air*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If you arent good at killing people, play as a medic and join a squad.

You can do that in FPS games? Wow! I never knew that (because I never play FPS games). That actually sounds like fun. :rolleyes: Is this only in multi-player mode or in single-player mode too? I could spend hours running around healing people and telling them off for getting injured! :D

Can you pretend to heal these guys, but then empty your rifle into their bleeding corpses?

You know you can play online with the demo? SP only gives you a very small map and no aircraft.

You can do that in FPS games? Wow! I never knew that (because I never play FPS games). That actually sounds like fun. Is this only in multi-player mode or in single-player mode too? I could spend hours running around healing people and telling them off for getting injured!

You can play any class in SP, the bodies only lie on the map for around 10 seconds or so before they respawn so you have to be fairly quick. The medic bots are generally pretty good at reviving people in SP so you'll have some competition.

staringcontest8og.gif

Can you pretend to heal these guys, but then empty your rifle into their bleeding corpses?

:rolleyes:

The 'immortal stormtrooper' thing sounds boring. I guess you'd have to find a squad that was interested in role-playing it, or wait for a game that was more realistic.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

:rolleyes:

The 'immortal stormtrooper' thing sounds boring. I guess you'd have to find a squad that was interested in role-playing it, or wait for a game that was more realistic.

I dont have a lot of experience with the original BF but in BF2 medics aren't exactly immortal. They are probably a little overpowered in that they heal everyone around them (but it takes time to do so), and can switch to a decent weapon and grenades. If someone has you pinpointed though you arent going to last long as medics have no armour.

staringcontest8og.gif

I've been playing a little BF2 online.. I've already gotten very good at lying in my own pool of blood, helplessly crying "Medic!" at random intervals.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Its interesting to see how theyve balanced reality vs gameplay. For instance the US MG(m249) fires faster than a standard M4/M16 but the bullets dont do much damage :blink:

I think I shot 100 rounds at an enemy from 10m away before he finally died.

But the snipers... why does every MP FPS have to have snipers, a class that is a symbol of bad gameplay? Most people want to go out in a hail of bullets and large fiery explosions, not be picked off by some jerk camper hiding in a sweetspot.

Yeah I hate snipers too, its good that they dont have insta-kill powers in BF2 in fact a lot of people are complaining that they aren't good enough.

staringcontest8og.gif

You dont really need the medic, no. You usually bite the dust pretty quick. What the medic class in Bf1942 was used for, was as immortal stormtroopers since they could heal themselves indefinently.

Ive been looking at the demo and everything is awesome except that the whole thing with registering with gamespy servers etc. is unnescessary, I just wanna play damnit!! And I find it very distrubing that not only do you have to restart the game if you change the graphics, but you also have to wait for up to several minutes for it to "optimize textures" <_< so tweaking the graphics is a VERY time consuming process. And i accidentally choose swedish as language so it feels kind of funny.

But its fun. Just shooting yor gun into the air is fun :) then you know theyve done it right.

*shoots AKN94 into air*

The registering thing is all about playing teams from every server in the world with your team; apparently the AI / Expert system is meant to be quite clever and links up good matches between teams with varying intra-skill-levels, across all the servers.

That's the big deal, also you get to be promoted to higher ranks (and you are supposed to follow the chain of command: I wonder if field officers carry handguns to shoot diserters and mutineers? :blink: ), eventually having the rank of Commander, the only individual with a total view of the battlefield, calls in airstrikes and artillery and provides the HUD waypoints for the chain of command.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You can do that in FPS games?  Wow!  I never knew that (because I never play FPS games).  That actually sounds like fun. :geek:  Is this only in multi-player mode or in single-player mode too?  I could spend hours running around healing people and telling them off for getting injured! :D

I'm not sure but I suspect the AI isn't very good at forming squads and working in groups. And that is the best way to succeed (and have fun!) in BF2. A team with well balanced squads, that actually listen to their team commander's orders has it done if the commander is half-competent.

But the snipers...  why does every MP FPS have to have snipers, a class that is a symbol of bad gameplay? Most people want to go out in a hail of bullets and large fiery explosions, not be picked off by some jerk camper hiding in a sweetspot.

Snipers are a necessity. It just wouldn't make sense to have everything you would find in a battlefield except for snipers. And while a happy camper may piss you off, their impact is relatively small. They have to be static to be effective, which means they are only useful as anti-infantry defensive units. But then again, they are defenseless against anything heavier than a buggy, and tend to get raped by airstrikes and artillery.

Believe me, the worse you can find is not an enemy camper. It's your own teammates camping the helicopter spawn site. THAT sucks.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Apparently BF2 had more players on-line this past weekend than either CS or CS:S, so I guess you'ld have to say it's been moderately successful so far.

I quite like it. The physics are pretty good - it's fun to watch bodies flying in the air from a well aimed artillery blast. The crashes are spectacular and the infantry combat is much better than in previous games. The sniper rifle is pitifully underpowered at present, but that might change in future patches.

I still can't fly helicopters very well though. :blink:

It's a neat little game. I've only played the demo though.

As for snipers.....if you're moving, it's almost impossible to snipe you. You actually have to lead the guy, and it can be pretty difficult to do.

It's cool being a medic and jumping into an APC, since it makes your APC a mobile healing station. Also, while yes guys do die relatively quicklky in these sorts of games, medics can be useful because they can actually revive people from the dead. Given that you cannot immediately respawn in this game (there are respawn intervals, usually about 15 seconds or so), so a medic can come in and whip out a defibrilator and zap you back to life. It's actually pretty fun when bullets are whizzing along and that enemy plane is strafing you!

The biggest beef I have is the lack of nodes. UT2004 had them, and it was nice because you wouldn't have to worry about some dork sneaking behind the front line and capturing all your rear spawn points because you were on the offensive. But that's just me I guess. I like the idea of an established front, not worrying about keeping a guy in the back protecting your spawn points.

Snipers are a necessity. It just wouldn't make sense to have everything you would find in a battlefield except for snipers.

A battlefield is no place for a sniper, they're used exclusively for recon or sabotage at ranges of +500m. Most armies have designated marksmen in the squads these days but theyre just ordinary soldiers with a small scope like an ACOG mounted on their assault rifle. And there is no function of a sniper in MPFPS games that another class couldnt fill.

Its just FPS tradition and an annoying tradition at that.