What happened at M 5 during the war?

Neither game goes into this much (or if it does I missed it).

All I have gathered (via the snippits of info given when saving game on Malachor in KOTOR2) is that Reven lured the mandalorians there, (something about a cultural taboo was mentioned as well), and the planet was somehow destroyed by a "mass shadow generator", which took out the mandalorians and much of the republic fleet as well.

Can anyone fill me in?

As you posted in the right forum, I'll try to answer the question as best I can. :blink:

The problem is that the game doesn't explain clearly - instead, you have lots of little bits that you have to put together. As far as I understand it, it goes something like this:

Malachor was a secret Sith academy long before Kotor 1. It's a special place somehow strong in the Dark Side.

During the Mandalorian Wars there was a major battle at Malachor, the turning point of the war (though not the last battle) which led to Mandalore's defeat and Revan's victory. The conventional battle was won because a machine called the Mass Shadow Generator (created by Bao Dur) did something , though I'm not sure it was ever explained precisely what the machine did.

Secretly, Revan knew that a devastating battle at Malachor would 'corrupt' lots of Jedi, and this is what happened. There was a massive wave of evil as a result of so many deaths + Malachor's special Dark Side-ness. All the Jedi were either killed or turned to the Dark Side because of it, apart from the Exile. The Exile cut off his connection to the Force, saving her from either death or falling to the DS.

After the Mandalorian Wars Kreia found the old Sith Academy and fell to the Dark Side, becoming Darth Traya. She re-opened the academy and started training Sith Assassins. At some point, Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion joined her. They quarrelled, and Traya/Kreia was throw out. She left in search of the Exile.

Eventually the Exile returned to Malachor, but what happens next depends on whether you chose the LS or DS path in the game.

It's a while since I played or thought about this, so if anyone is willing to correct my mistakes, that'd be great. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

During the Mandalorian Wars there was a major battle at Malachor, the turning point of the war (though not the last battle) which led to Mandalore's defeat and Revan's victory.  The conventional battle was won because a machine called the Mass Shadow Generator (created by Bao Dur) did something , though I'm not sure it was ever explained precisely what the machine did.

I tried to explain that in another thread. go look there. it's under "On Star Wars" you have to look for it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

During the Mandalorian Wars there was a major battle at Malachor, the turning point of the war (though not the last battle) which led to Mandalore's defeat and Revan's victory.  The conventional battle was won because a machine called the Mass Shadow Generator (created by Bao Dur) did something , though I'm not sure it was ever explained precisely what the machine did.

From what I could ascertain, the Mass Shadow Generator was a machine that served as a weapon of mass destruction. It was used to annhilate both army's fighting on the surface of Malachor V in a last ditch effort to win the war. Bao-Dur always seems to be saying that he wished he had never activated it. As a result, the thousands of deaths were too much for the exile which forced him/her to disconnect from the force to prevent death.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Has anyone bothered listening to the Jedi masters on the rebuilt enclave? Vrook says the armies were crushed by the planets gravity AND on the ravager it says that the ship escaped the gravity well (otherwise known as mass shadow generator). Also, Malachor looks all squeezed up. Which would conclude that th mass shadow generator worked like a gravity bomb. A BIG gravity bomb.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

From what I have gathered, the MSG created a super strong gravity on Malachor. That super gravity twisted and warped the planet's shape, and aslo killed practically everyone on the planet's surface. Only those really strong in the force can walk on Malachor's surface without being crushed in the massive gravity. Nihilus' ship, forgetting the name ATM, it was torn from the intense gravity of Malachor's orbit as a way for Nihilus to escape the surface.

Bao-Dur always seems to be saying that he wished he had never activated it.

He wouldn't have. The Exile gave the order to Bao-Dur who then activated it resulting in a massive gravity well that literally crushed everyone on the planet, but somehow leaving the academy on it intact.

Hadn't the Exile given the order, I doubt Bao-Dur would've activated it.

Speculations only, peeps. Don't chew my head off :devil:

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."