Article

As many of you may know, I am a writer for a small up and coming Newspaper since finishing college (creative writings, bad choice if you don't have rich parents... I don't have rich parents). I write mostly about entertainment and basically fun things like video games and what not. I have however been throwing around the idea of writing a large sized article about this Forum for awhile. I have decided that I'm going to write it and see what the evil editors at work say. I figure its worth a shot and if people like it I might be able to get into a bigger better higher paying paper and as a result get to eat more often lol. Gimme some feed back about what you think of this idea.

Thanks in advance

As many of you may know, I am a writer for a small up and coming Newspaper since finishing college (creative writings, bad choice if you don't have rich parents... I don't have rich parents). I write mostly about entertainment and basically fun things like video games and what not. I have however been throwing  around the idea of writing a large sized article about this Forum for awhile. I have decided that I'm going to write it and see what the evil editors at work say. I figure its worth a shot and if people like it I might be able to get into a bigger better higher paying paper and as a result get to eat more often lol. Gimme some feed back about what you think of this idea.

Thanks in advance

Do you mean you are going to write a article on the forum? Be more specific. Like what we talk about? The games obsidian makes? Sorry im a little lost :thumbsup:

I think an article based solely on this forum would be a little too specific. Maybe an article on developer forums, the impact forum feedback has on a game's development, the culture of the forums like how the employees of the company tend to have something of a celebrity status to the forumgoers, especially if they post often. You could use this forum for most of your examples, but I doubt people would find an article about this forum specifically very interesting.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It might be interesting, depending on your focus, to digest the different posting behaviours on the fora. For example, this site has quite a wide variety of fora, and I think there exists a variation in posting behaviours between them. Way Off-Topic, for eample has completely a different atmosphere to the Technical (Self-Help) ...

As with all writing, it depends on your audience. First principles for all writing is to determine for whom you write, what their needs and interests are, etcetra, then write to suit.

:thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I meant the culture of the forum because its really amazing how this is kind of like a mini-society we have going here.

You're obviously interested enough to argue the point; that's a good start. Now, determine who the audience of the paper is, and if they might be interested in the article. (If it's a small town newspaper, forget it; if it's a psychological research peer review paper, then you might get some starters ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As many of you may know, I am a writer for a small up and coming Newspaper since finishing college (creative writings, bad choice if you don't have rich parents... I don't have rich parents). ...

Nope, I didn't know that. (Well, I concluded the big about creative writers using both deductive and inductive logic, but that wasn't your point ... was it?)

:cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Instead of writing a column about just this forum, you should use this forum as an example to write a column about how star wars has brought together millions of people from different backrounds into this beautiful, and highly unique community through which all of us find general acceptance. Also, how by simply sparking the imagination of a massve amount of people one can gather them together to achieve a goal. Like making a storyline for the next KOTOR. you gotta expand out with this little idea of yours. Good luck to you though.

Did we all come here because of SW? Because, I for one didn't. I came for the promise info from of high-quality future rpgs. And to laugh at forum peers.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You could write about how I'm working on harnessing my latent psychic power to reach through my monitor and slap "LordRahl33" upside the head for being an idgit.

Actually, I know someone via the internet, who did a sort of paper similar to this on Forums. I could try to get in touch with her if you like.

Eating more often sounds like a very, very good plan.

I agree that it is remarkable how suh communities spring up and are maintained. Not sure how many normals would find it interesting though.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is actually a rather small community. I would detail the elements that created the community, as you've said, but that entails going back in history to the "glory days of BIS," the "fall of the house of Interplay," the "trail of tears to Obsidian," and the "infussion of new blood" as a result of KotOR and NWN2.

As meta said, there are a variety of fora here. Perhaps it would be useful to discuss the sheer spread. For instance, my wife and friends often think I

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Screw the forum- write an article about me.

Either that, or Volourn. I'm sure he'll pay you back once he's taken over the world.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Screw Tink and go with Eldar's advice. This board has such a colourful variety of members that choosing a few among them for representation and example must be hard, but no matter what go with the regulars. Those who have been here long and seen how the community works. Or doesn't. Especially the ones who've been here through the changes(Pre-KotOR2, pre-NWN, before the NWN2-forums left, etc) could prove valuable should you want to find good inviduals to for examples.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, but, you know...board experience?

I'd go with meta and 'Player too. Or perhaps Wheelie and 'Paladin.

Maybe Nartwak.

kirottu said:

And I guess he's well "aquinted" with the...older side of the forum members and happenings. Or should I say; he knows his sh!t.

kirottu said: