The Xcom diaries.

I was digging around in the cupboard and came across the the diary of my Xcom game. Charting the ups and downs from inception to victory.

Wonder if any game will inspire me to actually write a diary while playing it again.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Humor us, 'Paladin.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"I have more men in the med bays than I do in the barracks. Things are looking bad. It's no longer a case of rotating squad one, two, and three, but scraping together enough people to go on a mission".

"More UFO's attacked but we can do nothing but hide. No craft in production can match what we are up against. So we hide, we wait , and we hope for a breakthrough that will turn the tide".

"Yesterday was a quiet day. I'm glad.This constant pressure is starting to show on the squads and on me. A break from combat is just what we need. Money is running low and I still have no solid air defence. This puts extra pressure on the ground troops as we are unable to thin out the inevitable landing parties. This is a viscious circle that must be broken if we are to win".

"This will be the first field trials of the Toxgun. Have made important discovery alien shields only appear to absorb energy and explosive damage. The toxgun and possibly other thought obsolete projectiles will cut right through killing the alien. But more importantly leaving the shield undamaged".

"Previously the only option was to overload the shield leaving it and the alien destroyed. A few of these shields will give us a major advantage and have been declared priority one aquisitions".

"Research on the personal energy shield is complete. The element of suprise is ours".

"These shields are superb ! Given time they recharge and have the added benifit of preventing accumulating minor wounds. If this keeps up I'm going to have to fire the med staff. Med bays been empty for a week now. The war is starting to turn in our favour".

A few from around the low and high points of the game. Damm I'm feeling all nostalgic now and I want to play again >_<

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Wow. >_<

Looks epic - really engrossing. What was it about the game that got you so involved?

I've never kept a diary of a game, but there are plenty of games that have felt like epic journeys or titanic struggles. My fourth ever game of Civ 3 is still my hardest and most memorable struggle, just for survival. No victory was ever as sweet as losing, but surviving to 2050, in that game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wow. :p

Looks epic - really engrossing.  What was it about the game that got you so involved?

Er... Really wish I could answer that but its a toughie. Fantastic games the Xcom games.

Tuesday 7th March Arrival.

Everything here screams organised chaos. Agents, scientists, equipment to be billited, checked inventoried and assigned.

Work crews scury about like mechanical ants, building new instalations as fast as they can. More than once I've run into a wall that I swear wasnt there five minutes ago. Not much point in that floorplan I was given.

Swung by Biotech. The science boffins are hard at work on a device that will allow live alien capture. If the previous alien wars have taught us anything, it is that our only chance of victory lies in turning the aliens own technology against them.

This means that in every situation we will be outgunned and outnumbered,or at least those agents will. Wonder how many of them will see this through to the end.. I wonder if I will see this to the end..

478327[/snapback]

Yep, that's great. Why did you feel the need to write a diary for the game? Wsa it your first "epic", so it was an effort to be organised; or perhaps you used to do it frequently and have since stopped?

I have heard of people keeping reading diaries. Basically taking notes of all the books one reads: the ultimate contextual reference and personal index!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yep, that's great. Why did you feel the need to write a diary for the game? Wsa it your first "epic", so it was an effort to be organised; or perhaps you used to do it frequently and have since stopped?

I have heard of people keeping reading diaries. Basically taking notes of all the books one reads: the ultimate contextual reference and personal index!

Thats the first diary of that type I wrote. Most games either do it for you in the form of a journal or the game structure dosnt really allow for it as your basically rewriting someone elses work. Especially true in RPGs.

I often write "battle reports" of pivitol game moments, although they will be dramatised accounts rather than fiction.

478327[/snapback]

X-Com was a special game. It's combination of strategy, tactics, RPG, and terror has never been equaled. Because it wasn't scripted, you never knew what the game would throw at you next.

Thats the first diary of that type I wrote. Most games either do it for you in the form of a journal or the game structure dosnt really allow for it as your basically rewriting someone elses work. Especially true in RPGs.

I often write "battle reports" of pivitol game moments, although they will be dramatised accounts rather than fiction.

I did that for Baldur's gate and I think Kotor.. I also made a diary in Baldur's Gate 2 (where you could input your own journal)