Survival Horror.

Those aren't Survival Horror games.

They're just plain Horror games :p

On topic: Haunting Ground was pretty fun... but very disturbing :p

What is the difference?

I like the look of the dog element in Haunting Ground.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Would you say games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil are survival horror?

Also has anyone played Silent Hill 4?

How do they think up that kind of twisted s***? :'(

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

I have silent hill 4, it's good , but still not as the good as the other SH games. I was a bit dissapointed.

Maybe it's the nearly total absence of darkness in the game, that makes it less scary.

But the story is good, and the control and camera is the best yet in a sh game.

My favourite is still SH2 , I guess I like games that makes you feel depressed ;)

Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem. Now that's a good survival horror adventure. Everyone should also check Clive Barker's Undying. It's more of a shooter but a very intelligent one. Rather creepy too and has incredible sights sometimes.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Isn't the survival bit coming from being low on ammo, alone and scared all the time? Horror games are bad for your nerves, but when you also have to deal with conserving ammo and deal with a twisted world when you're all alone.. it makes matters so much worse.

I've only played the two first Resident Evil games and Silent Hill 2 on PC (I think). Unless Obscure can be considered a survival horror game..?

Edit: I just read my own stupid definition, and that would make System Shock 2 a survival horror game! Maybe you have to deal with crappy controls too to make it a real survival horror game? ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

System Shock 2 could very well be considered a survival horror game. I think even moreso due to its ability to stress and frighten players much more than any console survival horror I've ever played did, with the possible exception of the original Silent Hill. I never got the same feeling out of the Resident Evil series, for instance, and I find it surprising they're considered by many to be the highest expression of the genre.

Guest Fishboot
Those aren't Survival Horror games.

They're just plain Horror games :unsure:

What is the difference?

I always thought that survival horror meant that, in a nutshell, that you have to count your bullets. I always found that the "survival" part of survival horror games actually made them *less* scary, since you have stuff to focus your mind on (bullets, medical kit stocks, etc.) rather than letting your mind run riot imagining things.

Then the ravens crash through the windows and I have a heart attack. Darn cheap scares.

RE is all about cheap scares. It's rather fun, in a campy sort of way. When it comes to pure horror, however, it's got nothing compared to the creeping, atmospheric madness such as Thief III (Hint: Shalebridge Cradle) or Silent Hill (or so I've been told).

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

RE is all about cheap scares. It's rather fun, in a campy sort of way. When it comes to pure horror, however, it's got nothing compared to the creeping, atmospheric madness such as Thief III (Hint: Shalebridge Cradle) or Silent Hill (or so I've been told).

Oh lord, don't get me started on Shalebridge. That was probably the most terrifying game experience ever. The voices, the flickering lights, it's not as bad in things like RE where a trusty shotgun fixes everything, but when you're only defense is hiding in the very shadows that are freaking you out... :ph34r: :shifty:

Of course, I'm the girl that got scared in The Grudge... ;)

sig2.gif

Cradle was amazing. Here's a ten page editorial, by Kieron Gillen, courtesy of PCGamer:

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=618

I could also give you a link to a thread where the levels author, Jordan Thomas(Null) gives insight to the levels hitory and workings, but I'll do that only if somebody is really interested.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

AvP2: Survival, Horror, Sci-fi. A true classic.

"Hey, it's a boot!"

Classic, and damn scary, too. That damn motion sensor was pure genius- more of a hindrance than a help, and the most scary part of the whole game, really..

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin