Update on content patch please OE

No the movies aren't made within the game engine.  Feargus said they used a contractor to make the movies.

Though apparently the Visas introduction movie is an exception, and you can download a mod that plays it with the game engine instead of the movie.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There's an interesting, and possibly similar, patch situation developing with Sid Meir's Pirates! -- rights to the game have been transfered from Atari to Take2 and now a new patch is scheduled, speculation being that the original publisher, Atari, wouldn't fund the patch; see http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?sid=45b4ec...9a4ee5f39#39631

There's an interesting, and possibly similar, patch situation developing with Sid Meir's Pirates! -- rights to the game have been transfered from Atari to Take2 and now a new patch is scheduled, speculation being that the original publisher, Atari, wouldn't fund the patch; see http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?sid=45b4ec...9a4ee5f39#39631

That is why I am not expecting much out of NWN 2. Bioware took the cost of patching NWN 1 onto themselves. Obsidian doesn't have that ability. I am expecting NWN 2 to have as good as or worse tech support as KotOR 2.

Harvey

That is why I am not expecting much out of NWN 2. Bioware took the cost of patching NWN 1 onto themselves. Obsidian doesn't have that ability. I am expecting NWN 2 to have as good as or worse tech support as KotOR 2.

Obsidian has that ability. Feargus said that they hired qa for nwn 2.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

That means there's a chance that NWN2 will be released in better condition than Kotor 2 was, but it still won't be perfect (no PC game could be, I guess). You'll still need time/money/manpower to implement patches after release - would the same QA people necessarily be kept on for this?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

So they say, but anyone can talk. Obsidian is a brandspanking new company and I am sure they do not have the funds to have a full time QA staff and scripters/programmers to just do patches and give support to NWN 2 like Bioware has for NWN 1.

Harvey

No the movies aren't made within the game engine.  Feargus said they used a contractor to make the movies.

Though apparently the Visas introduction movie is an exception, and you can download a mod that plays it with the game engine instead of the movie.

A lot of other movies are obviously made with the game engine then compressed in ugly .bik :

* Visas introducing.

* The betrayal of Sion and Nihilus in Malachor.

* All the movies on Dantooine during the mercenary attack.

This could be done with a mod I think, unless the content patch decides to release.

A lot of other movies are obviously made with the game engine then compressed in ugly .bik :

* Visas introducing.

This could be done with a mod I think, unless the content patch decides to release.

This is because all crucial plot points must not be movies, otherwise the people with movies turned off (because they are so buggy) won't know what has happened.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

* Visas introducing.

This is because all crucial plot points must not be movies, otherwise the people with movies turned off (because they are so buggy) won't know what has happened.

Well, I hate to break it to you but no movies means no movies. This includes Visas' introduction and the battle of Khoonda.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Guest MacleodCorp

I have to agree with the moderator... Once it is out of the Developer's hands, it is no longer up to them of what to do!

What will be a surprise is if they decide to release an 'Expansion' pack for this game. They are doing this with 'Star Wars Galaxies'. Plus, this game came out fiveish months ago. If they are developing an 'Expansion' pack, this would acount for how much time has passed. But this is all speculation. Since this game did very well with awards and money, I don't think they would abandon this game. Patience. It takes Microsoft almost a tear to release their patches. Lucas Arts could have something special planned, but we all have to wait and see.

The sales for KotOR II could still be at an all time high. When it comes to massive patches, I think there is really no such thing. In my oppinion, if they are going to release a large movie and sound patch, that sounds like an 'Expansion' pack... Regardless about what they say online, things change if the product is a blockbuster like the KOTOR series.

Give it some time... I think OBEnt. is probally learning a lesson about what to reveal to the public and what not to reveal. They are learning, so we must have patience. I also believe that by giving the sound and movie files to LA, that Obsidian has shown they care about the gamer and their products...

Patience!!!

it is strange how different it can be between games.

look at neverwinter nights, which has now three expansions and a lot

of extra material stuffed at their website.

but this is maybe because the (damn) fantasy genre is more popular.

Guest MacleodCorp
it is strange how different it can be between games.

look at neverwinter nights, which has now three expansions and a lot

of extra material stuffed at their website.

but this is maybe because the (damn) fantasy genre is more popular.

I have to agree with that! Even though I am not into the fantasy rpg types, I can't help but ecknowledge their existance...

There are hundreds of games, which patches didn't show up on the scene for several months. Diablo I & II, SFC I, II, & III, etc... We should be glad we got one patch, and the gossip of another...

So we should appreciate the crap support? Sorry, but I don't play that game. Personally I think the minimum support for a game as buggy as KotOR 2 should be on the same lines as Neverwinter Nights 1 or hell, I would be happy with KotOR 1's level of support. KotOR 1 had 3 patches in a relative short order to get the game working at top notch capability.

Bioware's tech support should not be an aberrant, but the norm to expect from developers and publsihers.

Harvey

Guest MacleodCorp

I didn't say appreciate the type of support, but appreciate that there is support for this game. I don't know if you were using a computer when the first version of the internet was around, or when very few games for the PC existed, but game companyies very rarely had support back then. When I first touched a computer, I was four years of age, and I utilized the Commadore 64. There was absolutly no software support at the time. As time moved forward, support was a an addive, which companies did for free. Most of the time, the gammer themselves, would take charge and fix the software issues. Game and software companies enjoyed the attention, which came from the public who helped in fixing the problems.

Fastforward to today, game and software companies support their software through patches and fixes. Yes, appreciate that there is software support for this game, but when it comes to the quality of software support, that is an entirely other issue.

Now, Obsidian and Lucas Arts still holds a tradition, which they don't support 'Modifications' to their software or games, but they do allow old school type of modifications to ocure. Ah... When license agreements didn't prevent you from giving your firends a copy of the game... Where has time gone! :thumbsup:

Other words be glad there is support for KOTOR II!

I also believe that by giving the sound and movie files to LA, that Obsidian has shown they care about the gamer and their products...

No, they don't...

Why?

Because LA Screws up on 1.0B and now again

Giving something to LA is like giving somebody his Christmas present in June (and for a load of people)...

Since the only right that Obsidian has on KoTOR II is to make the game and do what LA ask them to do, I think we can say they make all their possible to care with us.

It seems LA is moving their offices (read this). Let's hope this is the reason of all this delaying...

• 1 month later...