More evidence that Obsidian is doing KOTORIII ?

If Shadow his basing his claim on the fact that Obsidian allows us to give suggestions/ideas for KOTOR III, then Bioware must be making it as well. They allow KOTOR III posts on their forum.

well I know for a fact that Bioware has made a big mistake in throwing away a cash flow story.now how many companys do you guys know throw away successful stories that make cash??

Perhaps Bioware were fed up with Lucas Arts ? o:)"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I, for one, was pleased that they actually made an original story rather than recycling one of their old ones. I can't say I was amused when I discovered I was playing Neverwinter Nights all over again in KOTOR.

They recycled Planescape:Torment story.

Just because you did not recognized it was recycled does not mean it was not, most stories share the same basic concepts but in KotOR2 the story they recycled did not worked for that expecific setting.

Aren't all stories in life recycled in some way or another? Films, books, even music have recycled events for centuries so whats the difference in a game. If it was about originality we wouldn't even have a Star Wars Universe as Lucas ripped off numerous Westerns and Film Noir detective films and then stuck them in space!

I, for one, was pleased that they actually made an original story rather than recycling one of their old ones. I can't say I was amused when I discovered I was playing Neverwinter Nights all over again in KOTOR.

They recycled Planescape:Torment story.

Just because you did not recognized it was recycled does not mean it was not, most stories share the same basic concepts but in KotOR2 the story they recycled did not worked for that expecific setting.

Aren't all stories in life recycled in some way or another? Films, books, even music have recycled events for centuries so whats the difference in a game. If it was about originality we wouldn't even have a Star Wars Universe as Lucas ripped off numerous Westerns and Film Noir detective films and then stuck them in space!

Tom Jones, aka The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling is regarded as the first plot of its kind in the English language (not sure about foreign languages); okay, it was written in the eighteenth century.

The point is not every story has to be a rehash.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Why does the game have to be made?  KotOR 2, while over all average, the ending SUCKED.  Why does it deserve a consideration of a sequel?  It just doesn't have the quality and the story was complete in of itself.

look at the bright side. Obsidian will have to explain what happened in K2!! Of course we will need a K4 to explain what happened in K3 and so on....

the bottom line is that LA is new to this genre and they are learning. even with all the imperfections that KOTOR 2 had, they still made a killing off of it.

the cRPG world does not have alot of to offer right now, especially if you take away the high fantasy titles. KOTOR (and its derivatives K2 and JE) offers a new hope (no pun intended).

By now, LA should know what gamers want and what they don't want in a SW cRPG. Whether we see K3 next or not, I think we will continue to see SW cRPGs published by LA for the forseeable future.

The problem, though, is that there really are not alot of development houses that specialize in dialogue-heavy, turn-based (or quasi-turn-based) cRPGs.

LA needs to set up their own cRPG shop and try to steal away some of the creative talent that is already out there.

another company maybe doing kotor3 because bioware and obsidian said that they are done with lucasarts, so you don't really know who is making it and on top of that you dont know if it's even going to be made. :huh:

Where has Obsidian stated they are done with Lucasarts? For that matter, where has Bioware stated this? Bioware have stated they aren't doing KOTOR3, but that doesn't imply they are "done" with Lucasarts.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

meta you are really starting to sound like daedalus. with the hope comment. I've learned that you can't trust Mag's because they are just trying to sell themselves. If Lucas were to tell us then i might actually start to believe it. I would certainly hope they kept it under tight wraps so we don't get a tiberian sun on our hads. (sorry westwood)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

meta you are really starting to sound like daedalus.  ...

<_< Check undercover identity ... Intact. Proceed. >_<

Why does the game have to be made?  KotOR 2, while over all average, the ending SUCKED.  Why does it deserve a consideration of a sequel?  It just doesn't have the quality and the story was complete in of itself.

look at the bright side. Obsidian will have to explain what happened in K2!! Of course we will need a K4 to explain what happened in K3 and so on....

Except that another frustratingly incomplete game like K2 will be even less enjoyable the next time.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

(Goverment health warning: the post below represents about 37.6% of your recommended daily rant intake)

Seriously, I'm not all that concerned with KotORIII right now, since I doubt it will actually feature a world/story free of the many annoyances so common in most RPGs. I wouldn't mind it seeing the light of day, but then again, IMO the story has some problems that really need to be adressed first, plus there's the whole LA thing. I don't care much for the franchise- as long as I get a good RPG, I'm content.

In my younger and more naive days I might have said that I'm more looking forward to Dragon Age, but seeing as Bio is developing it I'll just err on the side of experience and say that the game is going to have a semi-inept cliche-riddled story with the depth of a small puddle, with Amazing Opportunities To Be Evil such as calling the milkmaid a "wench" (ooh!) or asking for a reward (aah!) after defending a town from some random horde of orcs. Ah well, I'll probably buy it anyway, I guess.

Love them or hate them, but deep games certainly aren't Bioware's forte.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

the bottom line is that LA is new to this genre and they are learning.  even with all the imperfections that KOTOR 2 had, they still made a killing off of it.

the cRPG world does not have alot of to offer right now, especially if you take away the high fantasy titles.  KOTOR (and its derivatives K2 and JE) offers a new hope (no pun intended). 

By now, LA should know what gamers want and what they don't want in a SW cRPG.  Whether we see K3 next or not, I think we will continue to see SW cRPGs published by LA for the forseeable future.

The problem, though, is that there really are not alot of development houses that specialize in dialogue-heavy, turn-based (or quasi-turn-based) cRPGs. 

LA needs to set up their own cRPG shop and try to steal away some of the creative talent that is already out there.

I agree with you 100%

Why steal talent?

Why not invest in some young fresh minds, there are plenty of people out there chomping at the bit to work in a game studio designing for a premier name like LA.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

look y'all we don't even know if there even going to be a kotor3 so will you just stop posting and let this topic die, if you wanna post about kotor3 go to the topic "kotor111 after kotor11'' the discuss that kinda stuff, stop making topics that their already discussing, sheesh :-

LA are probably better off outsourcing. Then they dont have to worry about paying anyone during those times they are not doing anything particularly productive.

Different software houses usually have a reputation for being good at different things, and sometimes its hard to escape that and do something new.

If you can get by doing your own stuff, then the advantages are quite clear. The only way you would be likely to go back to licsenced after that is if your own stuff started to bomb bigtime, while not taking your reputation with it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

LA are probably better off outsourcing. Then they dont have to worry about paying anyone during those times they are not doing anything particularly productive. ...

Oh, I see. You mean LA won't have to pay others, like a team of developers, when those developers aren't productive. Ah! I thought you were talking about the productivity of LA, which seems to be negligible.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Akari has never lied to us, nor has any reason to do so. When KOTOR:2 shipped, Akari said that to his knowledge no one was working on KOTOR:3.

Obsidian expressed interest in developing KOTOR:3. LucasArts did officially cancel their KOTOR:3 preproduction.

I highly doubt LucasArts has anyone working on it currently. It may happen someday, but I really don't think it's happening now.