What are you reading ?

Musopticon?

Ta'grammata most likely. Early bible tranlations in greek and latin.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A few years ago I stopped reading altogether. As I have always been a voracious reader this eventually struck me as odd. I eventually concluded (after reading some SF) that I had just become tired of a diet of strict NF.

Wow, that's actually exactly what I'm going through. I've always had my nose stuck in a book, but then I stopped reading a few months ago after spending my time reading biographies on Henry the VIII and Elizabeth I, as well as L.M. Montgomery's journals. I just didn't read at ALL anymore.

Thankfully, I was introduced to Robert Frezza's McLendon's Syndrome, and I've rediscovered reading.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I can't NOT be reading... tis my one true vice... :">

I've got hold of a copy of Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies'

Actually quite interesting so far :unsure:

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

The trick is to have several books on the go.

"Monty" by Nigel Hamilton

"Men Against Fire; The problem of battle command in future war", S.L.A. Marshal

"The Big Sleep", Raymond Chandler (re-reading actually, but it's fantastic)

"The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam" by Yusuf al-Qaradawi (strictly for masochists and the bloody minded)

"Unfinished tales" j.R.R. Tolkein (also strictly for masochists and the bloody minded)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A few years ago I stopped reading altogether. As I have always been a voracious reader this eventually struck me as odd. I eventually concluded (after reading some SF) that I had just become tired of a diet of strict NF.

Wow, that's actually exactly what I'm going through. I've always had my nose stuck in a book, but then I stopped reading a few months ago after spending my time reading biographies on Henry the VIII and Elizabeth I, as well as L.M. Montgomery's journals. I just didn't read at ALL anymore.

Thankfully, I was introduced to Robert Frezza's McLendon's Syndrome, and I've rediscovered reading.

Yeah, I devoured some SF novel after my hiatus and I realised that you really do need to budget for recreation in everything, even reading.

Even though I can speed read, I rarely read faster than I can subliminally hear the words, mainly because I like to think whilst I read (I think my subconscious is solving the world's problems). Even getting a good comic to read can help re-focus to read that worthy weighty tome.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I read Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space and Chasm City a while back. I liked them, despite the continuous technobabble. Anyone else here read those?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm reading The Game of Diplomacy, by Richard Sharp, having finished both Solar Lottery and Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?--both by PKD, of course--in the last few days. Reading the latter was especially difficult, as while the term for the robots in the film and game, "replicant", conjured up suitable images of murderous humanoid robots, the book's term, "andy", conjures up images of an overwight middle-aged football player with a five o clock shadow.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Stephen King's Dreamcatcher (brilliant characterizations, stupid plot), some stuff on swedish civil law, and, uh, the most idiotic romance novel ever. Or rather, it could be the best one written in the genre for all I know, seeing as I'm generally not in the habit of reading stupid drivel. It's still bloody stupid, though. Hallmark, it's name is.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

The graphic novel "Kingdom Come" which features Superman in retirement is an excellent read. My brother-in-law wanted me to read it and so I did. It had been about a decade since I'd read a comic, and so I figured it would be a quick read. It was not only a quick read but also excellent entertainment.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i can recommend "The Prophet" for those interested in spiritual growth. It is decidely less preachy than most of the books in this category ...

Could you give me the author of the book?

I am rereading the Count of Monte Cristo and just realized that it is a very religious book.

The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, ISBN 1-85891-389-6, published by Studio Editions.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm reading The Game of Diplomacy, by Richard Sharp, having finished both Solar Lottery and Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?--both by PKD, of course--in the last few days.  Reading the latter was especially difficult, as while the term for the robots in the film and game, "replicant", conjured up suitable images of murderous humanoid robots, the book's term, "andy", conjures up images of an overwight middle-aged football player with a five o clock shadow.

:p ... Or any character from Little Britain. :p

I can also recommend The Outsider, by Albert Camus. Short, punchy philosophy; very readable, at any level: he was the better novelist and Sartre was the better philosopher.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

a couple of weeks ago my sister gave me some of her old books

since then ive chewed through:

tom clancy - op center

tom clancy - op center mirror image

tom clancy - clear and present danger

robert ludlum - the rhinemann exchange

robert ludlum - the osterman weekend

robert ludlum - the road to gandolfo

j robert king - magic the gathering: invasion

and there's still three more robert ludlum books to go

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

a couple of weeks ago my sister gave me some of her old books

since then ive chewed through:

tom clancy - op center

tom clancy - op center mirror image

tom clancy - clear and present danger

robert ludlum - the rhinemann exchange

robert ludlum - the osterman weekend

robert ludlum - the road to gandolfo

j robert king - magic the gathering: invasion

and there's still three more robert ludlum books to go

I used to really like Clancy. But I think at some point the same brain eating goblins got to him as to the current administration and he became

a) a born again Christian

b) totally uninterested in balanced writing

c) one of the most boring writers in the world.

I know that The Bear and the Dragon is only still on my bookshelf because I am waiting to have a barbecue.

I got bought 'The Prophet' but didn't like it. Too many simplistic wordy answers to complex questions. I guess its true that you hate in others what you hate in yourself!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can also recommend The Outsider, by Albert Camus. Short, punchy philosophy; very readable, at any level: he was the better novelist and Sartre was the better philosopher.

As long as it's not The Outsiders...

*shudder*

*cries*

Actually I read all the S. E. Hinton books when I was a kid. I thought they were great books. I wouldn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Walsingham: Maybe you've just read a bit too much Clancy. The same thing is happening with me as I read the Ender's series. I still like the books, but I found myself heaving a sigh of relief when I discovered that Card stopped both lines of the series at four books each. ...And I've finally managed to get into Xenocide, but if I had read that book first, I would never have read the other books in the series.

I need to get away from science fiction, but I'd like to read a few more "just for fun titles."

I think I'll read Master and Commander next. I should go out and buy the damned movie.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

As long as it's not The Outsiders...

*shudder*

*cries*

What's wrong with that book? I mean, it's hardly the best book ever to be written, but it's not really that bad, either. I know I'd rather read that book again than delve into yet another Drizzit angst-o-rama courtesy of Salvatore, that's for sure.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin