RE 4 is pissing me off.

Arkan

Why in the 666 layers of the abyss would one be pissed off by RE4?

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Games with frustrating elements are not really fun to me, one thing is giving a challange and another is driving the player angry because there is one key part that the player simply cannot pass.

Such games dont stay long installed in my computer ...

I know about those sequences in RE4 so I decided to forget about picking it up for PS2, it have two things I hate ... babysitting NPCs and press button sequences.

drakron.png

can't really call it a game if there exist quasi-rules for meta-situations, like stupid hidden obstacles that are the result of programming error and not logical challenge. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Or to learn something new :)

Fun is largely subjective. Very few games are fun throughout although they are when you look at the overall experience.

Many people didnt find Ninja Gaiden fun because it was just too hard for them. But I wouldnt say that Ninja Gaiden failed.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Or to learn something new :)

Fun is largely subjective. Very few games are fun throughout although they are when you look at the overall experience.

Many people didnt find Ninja Gaiden fun because it was just too hard for them. But I wouldnt say that Ninja Gaiden failed.

It may frustrate from moment to moment, but people may have found the challenge fun overall.

It may frustrate from moment to moment, but people may have found the challenge fun overall.

Or they may have gotten to the first boss hit a brick wall and returned the game.

I dont think you could really claim a game failed just because some people didnt find it fun. I had to approach the game like I do a beatum up (spending time making the control scheme instinctive) before I could get anywhere. Although I was kinda soft from playing too many RPGs which challenge in a different way .

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If most of the people playing the game didn't find it fun, then yes it did fail.

What is your logic behind that reasoning?

Because the way I see it , success or failure is then reduced to a luck factor. Since people whinge about easy games as much as they do about hard ones.

478327[/snapback]

That's really simple.  The purpose of a game is either to compete, or to have fun.

Why else do we play games?

If the game fails in its purpose, the game fails.

I wouldnt dispute that from a purely subjective view. However you cant measure fun and people have different ideas of what fun is.

I wouldnt be wrong If I said you found JEs combat fun would I ? I on the other hand found it simplistic dull and repetative.

478327[/snapback]

That's really simple.  The purpose of a game is either to compete, or to have fun.

Why else do we play games?

If the game fails in its purpose, the game fails.

I wouldnt dispute that from a purely subjective view. However you cant measure fun and people have different ideas of what fun is.

I wouldnt be wrong If I said you found JEs combat fun would I ? I on the other hand found it simplistic dull and repetative.

That's why I originally said a game fails if the majority of its players didn't find it fun. If people disagree, that's fine. Fun is subjective. But when the majority of your audience doesn't receive your game properly, then it failed.

Jade Empire's combat is incredible simple. Yet sadly, it is far more interesting than spamming the same button in game like KOTOR. I like turn based combat when it's challenging, and requires strategy. Jade Empire keeps me awake when playing it, while combat is a larger bore in KOTOR.

I would prefer a much more complex system that required more strategy, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

People don't want too many twitch elements in RPGs, but that doesn't mean combat should be easy. I enjoyed titles like Fallout that allowed you to use cover, use action points and movement to your advantge, etc.

That's why I originally said a game fails if the majority of its players didn't find it fun.  If people disagree, that's fine.  Fun is subjective.  But when the majority of your audience doesn't receive your game properly, then it failed.

Jade Empire's combat is incredible simple.  Yet sadly, it is far more interesting than spamming the same button in game like KOTOR.  I like turn based combat when it's challenging, and requires strategy.  Jade Empire keeps me awake when playing it, while combat is a larger bore in KOTOR.

I would prefer a much more complex system that required more strategy, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

People don't want too many twitch elements in RPGs, but that doesn't mean combat should be easy.  I enjoyed titles like Fallout that allowed you to use cover, use action points and movement to your advantge, etc.

I dont really agree, I'm just as open to the gamer failing as the game :D

Apples and Oranges, one is a hands on system where your skill determines all, the other is a hands off system where your character build is "tested" by the rules easy combat in a hands off system isnt so bad as easy combat in a hands on system.

There are many more complex systems already out there. It's just a matter of whether or not you happen to have played them.

And yet ironically it is those things that increase the player factor in much the same way added "twitch" elements would.

478327[/snapback]

I wait until the PS2 version comes out to see if players find it "fun" or not, the GameCube userbase is not big enough and considering Resident Evil main series became a GameCube exclusive (until RE4) its hard to get a honest opinion of who are RE fanboys.

drakron.png

I wait until the PS2 version comes out to see if players find it "fun" or not, the GameCube userbase is not big enough and considering Resident Evil main series became a GameCube exclusive (until RE4) its hard to get a honest opinion of who are RE fanboys.

What are you babbling about? >_<

90% of the "fanpeople" jumped from Sony to Nintendo when the series became exclusive.

Sadly "most" of the people who love RE4 (and are hyping it) are the Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid crowd <_<

RE4 is a fun game, but has seriously hurt the Survival Horror aspect of the series.

I think the first game and the second in the series were quite different.  The first was a quiet, creepy game that made you jump.  The second and third RE games were non-stop action and gore.

Nemisis was my favourite. Being pursued between screens. Hearing "stars" was enough to have you looking for the exit.

478327[/snapback]