RE 4 is pissing me off.

Arkan

Those stupid little sequences where you have to tap a certain combination of buttons. It's total BS. I'm at the part when you confront Krausser and there are a bunch of those little "features" and they keep changing the order.

This was a good game up until this point, but this shxt seriously diminishes the experience, taking the game down a few notches in my eyes.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Masochism. Try sometimes. It's fun.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Those stupid little sequences where you have to tap a certain combination of buttons. It's total BS. I'm at the part when you confront Krausser and there are a bunch of those little "features" and they keep changing the order.

This was a good game up until this point, but this shxt seriously diminishes the experience, taking the game down a few notches in my eyes.

Welcome to the future of gaming ... crappy mini games.

drakron.png

Never found it as bad as the train sequence in FFVIII

:)

I had trouble with the train sequence in FFVII for crying out loud!

Dosnt ring any bells unless you mean that timed combat sequence where you have to get to the front before the train crashes.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Never found it as bad as the train sequence in FFVIII

:)

I had trouble with the train sequence in FFVII for crying out loud!

Dosnt ring any bells unless you mean that timed combat sequence where you have to get to the front before the train crashes.

Hey - it was hard beating the clock while robbing the passengers for phat loot!

manthing2.jpg

The train sequence in FFVII was tolerable in the sense that its one of those areas which is optional when it comes to exploration, as you can try to get everything from everyone or just advance with no visible penalty trough the train. The sequence in FFVIII was aggravating, though.

Forcing to use your gamepad as a mini DDR pad however, is annoying and one of the things I dislike in console games.

Forcing to use your gamepad as a mini DDR pad however, is annoying and one of the things I dislike in console games.

Isnt one of those things people constantly complain about that a game lacks any sort of challenge.

To say its like a mini DDR is a big exageration.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Isnt one of those things people constantly complain about that a game lacks any sort of challenge.

You can add challenge to a game without needing to have players go that way. You can even use hardware in clever ways - Metal Gear Solid allowed players to use the second gamepad to fight against Mantis, and the Castlevania title for the Nintendo DS will allow players to use the Stylus to apparently cast spells and cause changes to some of the game's areas - but just having players tap a sequence of buttons, wheter in fixed or random order at several points trough the game isn't terribly new or exciting. It's like developers go "Hey, we don't have a good challenge for players, so why not just make them tap the controllers' buttons randomly? That'll win them over."

What is the problem with making areas or situations challenging? Hell, even with my dislike of FFVII, the scene where the initial trio of Barret, Tifa and Cloud having to pass by some guards by running and hiding behing pillars is, even as simple as it is, much preferable.

To say its like a mini DDR is a big exageration.

Saying it was like DDR would be the big exageration... That's why I said mini :thumbsup:

You can add challenge to a game without needing to have players go that way. You can even use hardware in clever ways - Metal Gear Solid allowed players to use the second gamepad to fight against Mantis, and the Castlevania title for the Nintendo DS will allow players to use the Stylus to apparently cast spells and cause changes to some of the game's areas - but just having players tap a sequence of buttons, wheter in fixed or random order at several points trough the game isn't terribly new or exciting. It's like developers go "Hey, we don't have a good challenge for players, so why not just make them tap the controllers' buttons randomly? That'll win them over."

What is the problem with making areas or situations challenging? Hell, even with my dislike of FFVII, the scene where the initial trio of Barret, Tifa and Cloud having to pass by some guards by running and hiding behing pillars is, even as simple as it is, much preferable.

Saying it was like DDR would be the big exageration... That's why I said mini :thumbsup:

Challenge is always going to be a personal thing. Not much anyone is going to be able to do about that. RE 4 isnt an RPG so it's all about what the player can and cant and do. Rather than about what the character can do. Its you job to make sure they do it in the right place and at the right time.

Pressing buttons to a prompt isnt that different to pressing a button to react to a specific event. Once you throw out the difference and overcome the tendancy to freeze up staring at the prompt rather than pushing the button the whole thing intergrates rather well.

478327[/snapback]

Shinies. Thingies.

I don't believe that fixed, sequential input has the same value as standard input used in the remaining stages of the game, considering the different applications and outcomes. A mandatory sequence carried out by a character that just isn't carried out until you press a series of buttons is definetely not the same as reacting to events happening in realtime. Considering that it actually is (or should be) something I have control over rather than the character, then why is my direct control being switched for something not so direct? If I can do these things, let me actually do them instead of placing me in a position where I have to direct the character to do them. Player reflexes over character reflexes.

Also, if as you say those events aren't that different from the rest of the standard gameplay in the game and they mesh with it well, then wouldn't it at some point become a mundane task of minimal to no challenge? This would be especially true of console gamers who have grown accostumed to this type of thing in console games and can perform these things effortlessly by now. Challenge is usually a personal thing, but if as you say there is no difference between either element and if both are actually easy to perform, then where is the challenge of perfoming these sequences?

I don't believe that fixed, sequential input has the same value as standard input used in the remaining stages of the game, considering the different applications and outcomes. A mandatory sequence carried out by a character that just isn't carried out until you press a series of buttons is definetely not the same as reacting to events happening in realtime. Considering that it actually is (or should be) something I have control over rather than the character, then why is my direct control being switched for something not so direct? If I can do these things, let me actually do them instead of placing me in a position where I have to direct the character to do them. Player reflexes over character reflexes.

Also, if as you say those events aren't that different from the rest of the standard gameplay in the game and they mesh with it well, then wouldn't it at some point  become a mundane task of minimal to no challenge? This would be especially true of console gamers who have grown accostumed to this type of thing in console games and can perform these things effortlessly by now. Challenge is usually a personal thing, but if as you say there is no difference between either element and if both are actually easy to perform, then where is the challenge of perfoming these sequences?

It isnt fixed. It's not simply a case of knowing that you will have to press A A B Y X. What really makes it different from normal gameplay is people overthink it and thats where they go wrong. Noramlly you see something like an attack coming in and you react to it instantly , you dont think about what buttons you pushed, its like changing gear in a car, you dont think about doing it , you just do.

When you put a visual cue on screen suddenly people just go to pieces in the panic to press the button.

Because the button pushing sequences are interactive cutscenes, they allow actions that are not part of the normal control scheme. Character reflexes dont even come into it. If you dont do the action in time then your dead. It's not like some games where having a character with higher agil will give you extra time.

The challenge is part mental. It's kind of funny really because if you didnt have the ability to do it , then you could never have gotten that far in the game.

478327[/snapback]

It isnt fixed. It's not simply a case of knowing that you will have to press A A B Y X.

Fixed as in mandatory, which seems to be the case.

Yes

True.

The challenge is part mental. It's kind of funny really because if you didnt have the ability to do it , then you could never have gotten that far in the game.

Yes, and that's why I questioned how challenging these things are. If it is as easy to perform as simply playing the game then it feels a pointless abstraction or more of the same, not much of a challenge as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, and that's why I questioned how challenging these things are. If it is as easy to perform as simply playing the game then it feels a pointless abstraction or more of the same, not much of a challenge as far as I'm concerned.

For some people it obviously isnt as it's the part they get stuck on. What makes it different is short of having a cheat code there is no way around it but to train yourself to conquer the problem.

478327[/snapback]

For some people it obviously isnt as it's the part they get stuck on. What makes it different is short of having a cheat code there is no way around it but to train yourself to conquer the problem.

Granted some people find it difficult, but it seems (at least from my experience) that most gamers don't have a problem with this at all, only a few find it difficult to proceed in circumstances like these.

Granted some people find it difficult, but it seems (at least from my experience) that most gamers don't have a problem with this at all, only a few find it difficult to proceed in circumstances like these.

There isnt really any other way to run an interactive cutscene which is why you have that method. I suppose you could give the option to allow the cutscene to play out without any button pushing. But then Japanese developers are not known for taking it easy on gamers and most of the gamers wouldnt want it any other way.

478327[/snapback]

I'd just prefer if they decided to allow for constant player interaction with the gameworld. More of a "let the player explore whats around him to let him decide how to solve something".

A simple example I remember was the Akropolis Tower in Parasite Eve 2, where Aya has to confront this giant (No. 9) who is coming at her in the fire escape. I remember shooting at it and being able to kill it with no great problems, but on a replay I slightly nudged the buttons and the targetting icon flipped over to (what I think were) nearby electric cables running up the walls - shooting these while the boss was next to them caused much more damage.

Extremely simple, but more compelling than "mini DDR" :) sequences.

I'd just prefer if they decided to allow for constant player interaction with the gameworld. More of a "let the player explore whats around him to let him decide how to solve something".

The game already has a ton of that anyway. Using the enviroment to your advantage is a big part of making the game easier to handle.

It's a case of when it comes to the button sequences, would you rather be doing something (and focusing on the scence) or sitting back doing nothing while the character goes through the motions. While you could toggle the option, its inevitable then that people are going to choose the path of least resistance like they usually do with those sorts of things.

What you have to understand is that the interactive scenes allow you to do things that the standard controls wont.

478327[/snapback]

No disagreement there, but these so-called interactive scenes allow me to do things that standard controls wouldn't allow because these things weren't built into the game under the same principles that standard gameplay was. That's my gripe, so to speak; it's mostly a detachment from the flow of the game, and the game itself. In some ways it feels akin to playing a game where the character can't do anything really special, but during rendered cutscenes he is a superhero of epic proportions, capable of doing things he can't during standard gameplay.