Video Card

I just got a new pc from gateway. It has an AMD Athalon 64 processor 3500+. It says that it's 2.2 ghz. Then I have 512 mb DDR RAM (but the computer is only picking up 384 mb of RAM :p ) I don't know what that is all about. And finally to the point of the topic, I have an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 video card, which I think is absolute crap. KOTOR won't even run on the lowest possible settings. :lol: I'm thinking of upgrading to an ATI RADEON 9250 256MB PCI for $119. Is this a pretty good card? I'm not very proficient in understanding the specs of a video card to tell you the truth. Thanks for the help.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I just got a new pc from gateway. It has an AMD Athalon 64 processor 3500+. It says that it's 2.2 ghz. Then I have 512 mb DDR RAM (but the computer is only picking up 384 mb of RAM :p ) I don't know what that is all about. And finally to the point of the topic, I have an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 video card, which I think is absolute crap. KOTOR won't even run on the lowest possible settings. :lol: I'm thinking of upgrading to an ATI RADEON 9250 256MB PCI for $119. Is this a pretty good card? I'm not very proficient in understanding the specs of a video card to tell you the truth. Thanks for the help.

Doesn't your computer have a AGP slot? or u might mean pci express.

if so the 9800 pro's are very good price now if your looking for a cheaper card.

but if u got the money and a pci express slot go for the x800 or a 6800gt.

the 9250 card is a hunka junk espcially with your beefy processor.

Doesn't your computer have a AGP slot? or u might mean pci express.

if so the 9800 pro's are very good price now if your looking for a cheaper card.

but if u got the money and a pci express slot go for the x800 or a 6800gt.

the 9250 card is a hunka junk espcially with your beefy processor.

Yeah, I have a PCI Express slot, so I'll go ahead and check out those cards. Thanks for the help. :x

Edit: I found this on ATI's website. Looks like a pretty good card at a reasonable price: http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2584957

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

So does anyone know what's up with my RAM? How can it be missing nearly 150 mb?

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

So does anyone know what's up with my RAM? How can it be missing nearly 150 mb?

Does your video card share system memory? That could account for the loss in RAM...

I noticed your totals and the difference is exactly 128 megs.. is that the 'listed' video memory when you bought the system?

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

Unless you are unexceptionally impatient I'd wait a while. NVidia will launch their new line come 22/6. Then I'd wait a couple of weeks to see what happens pricewise. Also I'd NOT recommend the X700 to anyone. To high price for way to low performance. For a midrange card I'd recommend a NVidia 6600GT. For highend(but still reasonable, i.e. 'bang for buck') I'd recommend the ATI X800XL. Best card sub-300$. Also go for mem-bandwith over mem-size. No present game needs 256 MB, but some DO need 256-bit interface for best performance. Look at site AnandTech for advise.

I think I will go for the x700 because I don't have the money to invest $400 into a video card. But I will explore some different ones before I buy it. Thanks for the help everyone.

To answer the question about the RAM, it says the computer has 512mb both on the box and on the front of the tower.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I think I will go for the x700 because I don't have the money to invest $400 into a video card. But I will explore some different ones before I buy it. Thanks for the help everyone.

To answer the question about the RAM, it says the computer has 512mb both on the box and on the front of the tower.

get a GeForce 6600GT PCIe u can get it for 200 bucks or so

dont get the x700 u will regret it

and i think your vid card is sharing your ram asuming it is a on board video.

512-128=384

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...68&promoid=1026

this is canadian US will be cheeper.

hehe i found the US button here u go

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?...es&promoid=1026

get a GeForce 6600GT PCIe u can get it for 200 bucks or so

dont get the x700 u will regret it

and i think your vid card is sharing your ram asuming it is a on board video.

512-128=384

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...68&promoid=1026

this is canadian US will be cheeper.

hehe i found the US button here u go

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?...es&promoid=1026

Thanks for the link and info. I think I will go for this one. So will the GeForce 6600 be compatible with my ATI motherboard? Because I thought that some video cards need certain types of motherboards to fit. At least that's how it was with my old computer. I remember it came with a Radeon X300, and I tried to put in a GeForce 4 but it wouldn't fit into the motherboard.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

Hmm, I second that 6600 recommendation. Terribly good card.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've been taking the GeForce 6600 into consideration, but I have also been looking at some other cards. So here is what I have:

This is a GeForce 6600 that I found very cheap:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8468&CatId=1559

And then I found this Radeon X800 which I think outperforms the GeForce 6600:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...9514&CatId=1560

It is a little pricier that the 6600, but I was orginally planning to spend in the $200-250 range. So what do you think would be the better deal? I'm leaning towards the X800.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I decided to order the X800 that I listed in my previous post. I figured it's a good card for a pretty cheap price compared to other sites. Plus it will meet my gaming needs. So I'm happy :lol: Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

word of advice, never go with anything but Intel and Nvidia.

Make sure your RAM is intact, Gateway is one of the worst companies to buy a computer from.

Don't buy from TigerDirect, they're a terrible Reseller company.

Their Reseller Rating is 7.33 out of 30933 Reviews.

word of advice, never go with anything but Intel and Nvidia.

Make sure your RAM is intact, Gateway is one of the worst companies to buy a computer from.

Don't buy from TigerDirect, they're a terrible Reseller company.

Their Reseller Rating is 7.33  out of 30933 Reviews.

I see what you mean. The video card that I just ordered off of there is on backorder, and it doesn't look like it's going to be available anytime soon. Thinking I might cancel and find somewhere else. And how do I make sure my RAM is intact?

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

I checked out Newegg and found this Radeon X800:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814121529

Looks like the one that I ordered from tigerdirect.com.

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

Most X800's are AGP so watch out (you're looking for PCI-Express right).

Also, just to clear things up - the 6600GT is way better than the 6600.

Have you guys heard of the new nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX. Obviously outside the target price range but it should drop the other cards down a bit.

ATI X800XL is probably the best price/performance ratio and ofcourse is good.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)