Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

Standard Rules and Map, with the following house rules:

1. Do not decieve the GM. This includes but is not limited to forging moves from another player.

2. Do not attempt to decieve the GM.

3. Orders must be submitted by the deadline set. If no orders are recieved, all units hold.

4. If no orders are recieved for three turns in a row, the player will be ejected from the game.

5. If invalid, ambiguous or poorly written orders are submitted before the deadline, the GM will email the player asking for clarification of the orders. The player will have until one hour after the deadline to respond, after which the individual orders in question which are ambiguous or invalid will be voided.

6. Should you wish to announce something to all players, it should be done through your nation's press. This is done by posting on this thread while emailing the contents of your press release to all players and the GM.

7. Players may submit to the GM press releases which will be edited to protect to anonymity of the sender and then forwarded to all players (including the original sender, to preserve anonymity) and posted in this thread.

8. The GM reserves the right not to send anonymous press which he finds inappropriate, for reasons including but not limited to it being overly slanderous. If you wish to slander a player, do it yourself.

9. Do not cheat.

10. What happens in the game, stays in the game. Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, carry a grudge from a betrayal game onto these forums. We want the game to become popular on the forums, not banned bacause players are causing disruption.

11. By Playing the game, you implicitly agree to the above House Rules and the Standard rules of Diplomacy.

GM: Reveilled

Email: revCAPSeilled at gmail dot com (Remove the CAPS and make it an address)

Players:

England - Archmonarch - archCAPSmonarch at mail dot com

France - Baley - kryoxCAPSer at yahoo dot co cot uk

Germany - Kaftan - joCAPSar at linuxmail dot org

Austria - Aishur - iaminnocentCAPSbystander at hotmail dot com

Italy - jaguars4ever - monoCAPSceros100 at aol dot com

Turkey - metadigital - m3t4CAPSd1g1t4l at yahoo dot co dot uk

Russia - EnderWiggin - enderCAPSandrew at gmail dot com

----

Fall 06

Orders:

Germany:

NMR

Italy:

F Con H

F Ser H

F NAf-MAO

F Spa(sc)-Por

F GoL-Spa

F WES S F GoL-Spa

F TYN-GoL

A Mun-Bur

A Mar S Mun-Bur

A Pie S A Mar

A Tus-Ven

A Tyr-Mun

Russia:

A Ber-Kie

A Bul H

A StP-Nwy

A Sil S Italian A Tyr-Mun

A Kie-Hol

A Pru-Ber

A Sev-Rum

F Den-Hold

F Ank-Hold

F Edi-Cly

F Hol-Bel

F Bel-Pic

F Nwy-NTH

Positions:

France:

A Gas

F ENG

F MAO

Germany:

A Ruh

Italy:

A Ser

A Mun

A Pie

A Mar

A Bur

A Ven

F Con

F WES

F NAf

F GoL

F Spa(sc)

F Por

Russia:

A Ber

A Bul

A StP

A Sil

A Kie

A Hol

A Sev

F Den

F Ank

F Clyi

F Pic

F Bel

F NTH

Map: http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6875/di...yobs1f063nq.gif

Deadline for W06: Tuesday 23rd August, 12:00 UTC

---

Table of Previous Years

diplomacyobs1table6uv.gif

---

Thanks Imageshack for hosting all images in this post.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

The map is fine, you'll have my email with country prefetrence in a minute :sorcerer:

But I just thought of two things:

-Arent the brits at an advantage because any invasion will have to be by sea?

-Arent the Russians at an advantage because marching against Moscow = extreme badness?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The map is fine, you'll have my email with country prefetrence in a minute :sorcerer:

But I just thought of two things:

-Arent the brits at an advantage because any invasion will have to be by sea?

-Arent the Russians at an advantage because marching against Moscow = extreme badness?

Indeed, the main advantage of England is that it is both an island and a corner power, and Russia has the advantage of four units (winter conditions are not replicated in game, so marching on Moscow isn't as hard as it might be) but other countries have other advantages. The game is pretty well balanced. :)

Oh, and message recieved. That's 3/7 lists recieved.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Indeed. I'm just waiting for two more lists now, after which I'll send out an email with the addresses of players, what countries they are playing, and the date of the deadline for submitting moves. Then it's up to you all to email each other to plan strategies, discuss alliances, spread rumors and so on. I'll also post the same information on this thread.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Bismarck_pickelhaube.jpg

I must brake yuo.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maybe :D

I was just thinking, how do you decide who wins a battle? Is there some kind of rule system or is it just the flip of a coin?

..and whoever's got Sevastopol is in trouble, its just one of those places you HAVE to take in order to keep to good form :huh: Like Poland.

Maybe :D

I was just thinking, how do you decide who wins a battle? Is there some kind of rule system or is it just the flip of a coin?

..and whoever's got Sevastopol is in trouble, its just one of those places you HAVE to take in order to keep to good form :) Like Poland.

Someone needs to read the rules a bit closer! :)

Every unit in the game has the same strength.

If a unit moves into an occupied province, it's strength (1) matches the strength of the defender (1) and so the move fails, as follows (underlined moves fail):

France: A Paris-Burgundy

Germany: A Burgundy Holds

In this example, the German army stays in Burgundy.

When two attacks of equal strenth are made on a province, both attacks fail, any unit in the province stays there, otherwise the province remains vacant:

A Spain-Marseilles

A Burgundy- Marseilles

In this instance, if Marseilles was vacant, it would remain vacant, with the result that it would be possible for France to build in that vacant Home Centre in Winter Adjustments. As such, France might use the above moves to prevent any movement by another power into the province, while keeping it vacant for builds.

In order for an attack to suceed, it must be supported by another unit. The unit providing support must be in a province from which it could make an attack into the province it is supporting an attack into (i.e. An army in belgium can support an attack into Ruhr, because it could itself attack Ruhr. A fleet in belgium could not, as Ruhr is an inland province, and so the fleet in Belgium could not attack Ruhr):

A Marseilles S A Paris-Burgundy

In this example, The German army in Burgundy is dislodged, the French army in paris moves into Burgundy, and the Army in Marseilles remains in Marseilles.

If the army giving support is itself attacked, its support will be cut:

A Piedmont-Marseilles

Note that though the army in Piedmont's move to Mareilles failed, the fact that it attempted the move was sufficient to cut the support.

Support can be given to a foreign power as follows:

England A Marseilles S French A Paris-Burgundy

Support can be given in defence:

A Ruhr S A Burgundy

In this case, the Strength of the defender has been increased to two, equalling the strength of the attack, so the attack fails. If the French attack had been supported by a third army, its strength of three would have exceeded the two and been successful.

Remember that a defensive suppot order does not count towards attack strength, nor visa versa. For example, if in the example we have been using, A Paris had been attacked from another province, A Marseilles support of A Paris into Burgundy would not count towards A Paris' strength in an attack on it.

For more information on Support, see pages 7 to 12 of your rulebook.

Just waiting on EnderWiggin's list, now.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

needs to read the rules a bit closer! :wub:

Kaftan

av-4899.jpg"Does it come in comic book format?"

^_^

----

Check this out guys - it's Diplomacy software by Microprose that you can download for network/online play:

http://www.trygames.com/game/aff=t_06tno/v...c578803529a9be5

It's a 369 MB d/l though...

free_game_big_1.jpg

free_game_big_2.jpg

free_game_big_3.jpg

:thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

Someone needs to read the rules a bit closer! ;)

I did, it was just a lot of "dont cheat" and "DO NOT cheat" stuff ;)

besides which of the different rulesets here are we using? http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/diplomacy_rules.htm

Awesome!

Can we mister Reveilled,can we?

EDIT:It costs money..damn....I'm broke :)

Now I'm not suggesting anything but the 'full version' is free to d/l as it's time-limited, not feature limited. Now after your hour is up you have to upgrade to the full version. Upgrading basically "patches" your executable file. Now say we're to buy the actual CD, but get tired of inserting the damn disc...we could visit www.gamecopyworld.com and rid ourselves of the hassle, by using a "patched" executable for our legitimately bought software.

manthing2.jpg

Awesome!

Can we mister Reveilled,can we?

EDIT:It costs money..damn....I'm broke :(

Now I'm not suggesting anything but the 'full version' is free to d/l as it's time-limited, not feature limited. Now after your hour is up you have to upgrade to the full version. Upgrading basically "patches" your executable file. Now say we're to buy the actual CD, but get tired of inserting the damn disc...we could visit www.gamecopyworld.com as rid ourselves of the hassle, by using a "patched" executable for your legitimately bought software.

Erm...I think it's best if we just play the old fashioned legal way, at least for our first game. ;)

Besides, once I recieve Ender's list, we'll be ready to start the game, so no sense in waiting for everyone to download that. Can we stick to the original idea? Please? :)

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!