Not sure of career anymore

dufflover

Most 3rd year University students would have a pretty good idea of what they want to do and would be well on their way to learning it all, but I'm not too sure of myself anymore.

I'm a 3rd year "Engineering/Science" combined degree student, and for each part I'm doing "Computer Engineering" (like Digital Systems and electrical based technologies like Networks, etc), "Computer Science" science major and "Mathematics" science co-major. All the software things we are taught all programming principles and mainly generic software skills, like software design techniques, programming structures (trees, lists, hashtables, etc) and optimizing algorithms - all very useful in any software project but I've looked ahead and the only thing related to games specifically is the subject "Artificial Intelligence" (mostly pathfinding). I've also seen how a Games Programmer is also a pretty under-respected/paid job, but at the same time, I enjoy programming more than anything else, yet I can't seem get my head around say modding or writing my own simple game.

Where does it look I'm headed?

(What's worse is that only "Software Engineering" students get to do the final year real-industry/client projects - I can't because I'm "Computer Eng", and while I like graphics cards

Want money for an ATI X850XT Platinum!!!

, I'm not too interested in hardware in general.

Edit: There is a place in Melbourne here called the Academy of Interactive Entertainment which is a game focused school, and the final project there is a game. I'm not too sure what, say a Maths major means for careers, but the problem with the AIE is that it would be too narrow

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Message boards probably not the best place for career advice.

But I think you need to ask yourself a question. Are you not doing mods and writing programs because you cant. Or because you dont want to ?

As long as you answer it honestly then you should gain some insight into the route of your problem.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I enjoy programming more than anything else, yet I can't seem get my head around say modding or writing my own simple game.

Forget modding and such things. I think it would be better for you to combine hardware with gaming (which I think motivates you the most). You should develop GPUs and physics processor units and then test your systems excessively. :huh:

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Don't ask me, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up ...  :-"

:p but most 20yr olds would have a pretty firm idea though. I'll probably end up (just from the skills I'm learning) doing low-level software like Mobile phones, TV's, DVD Recorders, etc. :geek: .

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Well......with all that education you could join the military. You could get an MOS that works with computers, and then after you get out it will look really good on your resume.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

:( but most 20yr olds would have a pretty firm idea though.

Not really... I think the educational system imposes pressure to 'decide RIGHT NOW what you're going to do for the REST OF YOUR LIFE', when that really isn't the case. IMO most young people aren't ready to make that kind of decision, if it's ours to make at all. Life has a way of throwing a few curves into the best-laid plans. :wub: The only guarantee you get is that nothing's permanent; keep an open mind. You just never know what might come along.

You could consider getting into building models and sims for other purposes. Corporations use them for logistics and other dull stuff. But like my military friend here says, the military also use them. It generally comes under the heading of Operational Research. The important thing to realise though is that a commercial game is designed to be entertaining. Military sims are supposed to get all the important stuff in and be realistic. Different folks find one area fun and the other tedious.

Not sure what avenues there are open in Oz for this, but a friend of mine studied this in England.

Otherwise I totally agree you should keep an open mind. Most people I know didn't plan to get into their best career path. They just found themselves there almost by accident.

I'd also point out that all third years tend to go through a phase of hating their subject.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I agree with Hooah; join the army. You get off easy.

Edit: 700 posts! :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Don't ask me, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up ...  :-"

:p but most 20yr olds would have a pretty firm idea though. I'll probably end up (just from the skills I'm learning) doing low-level software like Mobile phones, TV's, DVD Recorders, etc. :geek: .

I was twenty in the eighties. :shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You'd be surprised how few 20 year olds actually have an idea of what they want to be.

Many of them may *think* they know what they want to do....but many (I'd wager *most*) run into the same "problem" as you when they get further into their academic career.

My scholatic career was a series of choices to maintain the greatest amount of career choice in the future.

The truth is that career selection is non-trivial, time-consuming and involves a lot of blind alleys before you can be confident of yourself. This sort of effort is never supplied by a school or college (I'm sure they will provide resources for students to research any career, but the hands-on guidance just consumes too many resources; there would need to be a career counsellor for every two or three students, plus a pool of secretaries!).

The best advice I can give you is to research. It's really important to do the research at the beginnning of your career (sounds obvious, but how many people actually do this, and not just "fall into" a career); this is especially important in today's job environment where the "job for life" has all but disapeared.

Make sure you "interview" as many people in the careers that you are interested in as you can; first hand knowledge of the "best day" and "worst day" and "best part" and "worst part" of a job is important. I doubt anyone would not want to talk to a student and prospective junior college in their industry about their career: people love talking about themselves (offer to buy them a beer, or lunch). :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

NOt bad advice. My own experience is that no career is ever perfect. Pick good peopel to work with, however, and just about anything becomes palatable. Best option: recruit your own people and make up what you do.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Start a cult. That way your minions foot the bill.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, begin serving Master Chtulhu. That way you'll be eaten first.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds