What are you reading?

Silvershadow

I was just curious to see what the other people on this board were reading... Figured we could use this thread to recommend books to others (or to mention which books to avoid like the plague -- *cough*Stephen King's Gerald's Game*cough*)... and to prove to the world that there are some people from my generation, as well as the 15 or so generations after me, who do read.

I'll start... I've just started reading McLendon's Syndrome by Robert Frezza, which was recommended to me by a friend. I haven't had the chance to get too far into the story (what with work/social life and fanfic writing), but I have a feeling this book is going to be right up my alley. I'm only on page 16 and already this book has made me laugh many a time. The writing style isn't too heavy or complex, but on the other hand, it doesn't read like a children's book either. I personally hate it when authors spend pages and pages describing, say, a chair (*cough*Stephen King again*cough*), so Frezza's succint style is rather refreshing.

I have a feeling this will be a good one. :thumbsup:

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I'm currently re-reading George Orwell's 1984 (just finished re-reading Keep The Aspidistra Flying)

DL

P.S. The reason I'm re-reading stuff is because I've been kicked out of nearly every library I know... :">

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

P.S. The reason I'm re-reading stuff is because I've been kicked out of nearly every library I know...  :">

Do I want to ask? :thumbsup:

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

i have been reading some tom clancy and robert ludlum stuff recently

oh and of course, silvershadow's fanfic :D

and i'm still waiting for robert jordan to finish the Wheel of Time series. 10 books so far!! (11 if you count the prequel....)

and i found a magic the gathering book the other day! i have been playing magic: tg for about 12 years and have NEVER found one before!!

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

While I am usually an avid reader, as of late, I have been engrossed in my own writing and so find myself reading fewer books. However, I have just begun a book titled "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson, an English professor at Brigham Young University. It seems to be highly reviewed, though I will surely have my own impressions as I venture farther into it. From a casual perusing, it seems fairly creative and meticulously planned. I only hope my work will one day show the same polish.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Me Kaftan!! Me not read puny books with words!!!

RRAAAAAAARGHH!!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Book? What's a book? :thumbsup: Oh wait, aren't those the things with pages that you have to open. I think I've read one of those before :D

Right now I'm about to re-read Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden. Good book.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

While I am usually an avid reader, as of late, I have been engrossed in my own writing and so find myself reading fewer books.

Yeah, same here... To be quite honest, McLendon's Syndrome is the first book I read in... Ooooh... I don't even want to think about how long. :ph34r: This from the girl whose mother used to have to tell her to stop reading and to go play outside for a change.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

I'm currently on the hunt for a good book becuase I'm not sure if hounding Silver for more chapters to Atton's Motivation counts as reading a book. :wub:"

<runs off to read chapter 9, will be asking for 10 within the hour. :devil: >

I'm considering borrowing some Star Wars books from my friend to complete my geekiness. :thumbsup:

sig2.gif

I tend to start reading lots of books, and then finish them in order of interest to me. (I tend to do this online, too; what I mean is, with my online reading I will follow a hyper-trail to its end, or my satisfaction, and then pick up reading at the next-most intersting place, to me.) Currently I am reading:

Fiction:

• The Handmaid's Tale (Philosophical thought experiment about a totalitarian state based on Genesis 3:27-30.)
    Non Fiction:

• History of Western Philosophy (Bertrand Russell: a very readable book, actually; I stopped halfway through becuase I wanted to re-read taking notes, because it really is exhaustive, but the "fireside chat" style makes it difficult to scan for absolute historical dates; a blessing and a curse.)
  • 1421 (The year China discovered the world)
  • The Times Compact History of the World
  • Birdsong (A book about the tranplanting of the miners who had just dug the Central Line in London to the trenches of WW1 to dig underneath the Central Powers' fortifications for to explode them from underneath, whilst avoiding their German equivalents as they did the same.)

• As well as a few more less intersting titles, like: Hacking Eposed, gamer magazines, and the odd New Scientist, etc.

I will be reading next:

Pat Barker's remaining two novels in the trilogy begun with Regeneration (WW1 British decorated officer designated "Deranged" for publicly stating that the Allies were guilty of War Crimes for not suing Germany for peace, at the time, in late 1918); The Eye In The Door and The Ghost Road; Melvyn Bragg's The Adventure of English; plus another half-a-dozen that I haven't started to ponder their place in my reading list yet, but that have been purchased and are in the waiting list for the reading list ...

I just recently completed The Music Of The Primes, by Marcus de Sautoy, a spectacular reading experiences I can recommend highly. It is more an historical description of some of the best mathematicians in civilization (liked by the theme of prime numbers); a brief summary of the lives and their societies and even their social, political and psychological mappings -- all done with the bare minimum of little equations and graphs, (one may count them on one hand), so as not to scare the innumerate away. A very easy read, well worth it. (If you can't name three mathematicians -- exluding Newton: he's famous for being a physicists! -- then you must get this book.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm currently on the hunt for a good book becuase I'm not sure if hounding Silver for more chapters to Atton's Motivation counts as reading a book. :-"

<runs off to read chapter 9, will be asking for 10 within the hour. :p >

I'm considering borrowing some Star Wars books from my friend to complete my geekiness. :)

Oh boy... You might be waiting a while, because I've got about half a page written in chapter 10.

Bug me again in a week if I haven't posted it by then. :lol:

Yeah, I bought a stack of used SW books at a used book store last weekend. Haven't actually looked at any of them yet, as I'm still working on... that's right... my plug of the week: McLendon's Syndrome. (Did I mention that I'm enjoying that book?)

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

War Of The Worlds- H.G Wells

Also recomend:-

Day of the Triffids(sp?)- John Wyndam

Call me a nerd but I think they're great :lol::)

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

War Of The Worlds- H.G Wells

Also recomend:-

Call me a nerd but I think they're great :-  :)

I love HG Wells' style; it is luxuriant and harks back to the days when people spoke in complete sentences, and it also evokes very clearly the stentorian voice of Richard Burton, from the album. Haven't read Day of the Triffids (but I've heard some of their music :lol: ).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I loved (still do, I guess) John Wyndham, and I recommend The Chrysalids and The Kraken Wakes, too.

I'm currently reading the 2005 EFA Global Monitoring Report, and what a hoot it is! For 'fun', somebody gave me a biography of Bill Clinton, but if it doesn't pick up soon, I'm giving up.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I loved (still do, I guess) John Wyndham, and I recommend The Chrysalids and The Kraken Wakes, too.

I'm currently reading the 2005 EFA Global Monitoring Report, and what a hoot it is! For 'fun', somebody gave me a biography of Bill Clinton, but if it doesn't pick up soon, I'm giving up.

You read the EFA Global Monitoring Report for leisure? Boy, are you in trouble.

(I didn't list any books I'm reading for work ...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I just finished reading the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. It was alright, but not as good as I expected. Suprisingly enough, the book I finished before that was hard to put down and I read it in about three days was Ric Flairs' "To Be The Man".

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

*cringes*

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------