Traps in RPGs

You noob! Learn to play. :wub:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I never really use traps, even when I play a rogue. I agree with Steve sometimes it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Ive never used traps or mines and I never will.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yuo are correct.

Maybe its leftover behaviour froM PnP:

-I place a trap on the floor outside the chamber.

-Oh yeah? What are going to hide it with? Some leaves?! Its just a f*cking stone floor, there is no place to put a trap and even if you did hed still see it.

-I do it anyway.

-Fine. *rolls dice* The deathknight opens the door, steps neatly over your stupid trap and whacks you in the head for 14 hit points.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't use traps as much as I could do. I'm currently replaying BG2 as a thief, and the traplaying feels too cheap for me.

I could easily kill the elemantal liches with traps, but I don't see the fun. I prefer a long and hard battle to actually feel any satisfaction afterwards. Just to see the enemy die in the same moment he spawns isn't any fun in my opinion.

I use backstabbing a lot instead, combined with boots of speed, to be able to run away and hide again, very amusing really, and surprisingly effective as well :-

Laying traps is a good thing but using them with foreknowledge that you're going to fight something very powerful isn't my cup o' tea. I prefer to use them in situations like bringing down an half-orc patrol or somesuch; going invisible and lay enough traps to kill a dragon the minute he becomes hostile and before he even manages to be a threat is a no-go.

I suppose it comes down to role-playing versus prior knowledge ...

If you place more traps the next time you face an enemy you are cheating (because you are relying on knowledge your PC shouldn't have), you munchkin!

:shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

BUT What if I'm roleplaying a rogue with wierd and unexplicable random insights into the future?!

As long as these wierd and inexplicable insights are actually random and (therefore rolled) and can also backfire ... (I'm sure that nice looking Paladin really is a monster that I have to kill in disguise ... oops, no its not!)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ding Dong the merry high, the merry low,

Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead!

She's gone where the goblins go,

Below, be - low, low, low, ... low,

Let's open up and sing,

And ring the bells out,

Ding Dong the witch is dead,

Which old witch?

The Wicked Witch!

Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead!

Refrain

Oh, I'm bored. I don't want to do this any longer.

(Background: "You say you always wanted to be a gynacologist?")

I always wanted to be ... A LUMBERJACK!

Jumping from tree to tree ...

The mighty Scotch Pine, Birch,

In my best garb I would sing ...

Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,

I sleep all night and I works all day ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A one... two-- A one... two... three... four...

Half a bee, philosophically,

Must, ipso facto, half not be.

But half the bee has got to be

Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be

Or not to be an entire bee

When half the bee is not a bee

Due to some ancient injury?

Singing...

La dee dee, one two three,

Eric the half a bee.

A B C D E F G,

Eric the half a bee.

Is this wretched demi-bee,

Half-asleep upon my knee,

Some freak from a menagerie?

No! It's Eric the half a bee!

Fiddle de dum, Fiddle de dee,

Eric the half a bee.

Ho ho ho, tee hee hee,

Eric the half a bee.

I love this hive, employee-ee,

Bisected accidentally,

One summer afternoon by me,

I love him carnally.

He loves him carnally,

Semi-carnally.

The end.

Cyril Connelly?

No; semi-carnally!

Oh.

Cyril Connelly.

[whistling]

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've only used traps once, as far as I can remember. Well, it was actually mines since it was in KotOR. Remember on the first planet, where you were still pretty weak, and you were supposed to go through some sewer-like area? There was some huge monster down there (forgot its name) that the game hinted to you that you should sneak past, using Mission (I think). Well, seeing as the monster was REALLY big (and probably brimful with experience for my newbie party) I decided I'd kill it instead. I buffed up and attacked it and got beaten to a bloody pulp within a few rounds. So I reloaded and retried a couple of times but to no avail.

Then I remembered there were mines in the game (that I had never used before), so I figured I'd try a few on the beast. I hid my party near a wall, saved the game and then just walked close enough to the monster for him to spot me. I observed the path he took while following me back to my hidden party, quietly memorizing it. A quick reload later and I was back unharmed and unseen, and using Mission sneaking I placed my biggest mines in a pretty line all along the path the monster had taken the last reload. Then I just walked up to him again, ran back to the same hiding spot and just stood there watching as mine after mine blew up beneath him until he fell over before even reaching my scared newbie bunch.

That 'tactic' would probably be considered cheating by some (many?) as I used the reaload button a couple of times, but to me it sure was satisfying seeing the monster go down like that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Are you talking about the Rancor beast guarding the back door to the hideout on the sublevel of Taris ?

Uhm.. yes. How do you guys keep all those weird names in memory?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Actually, I used mines in the same exact place.

The Rancor is the same beast in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi. That's easy to remember. Taris I remember because it was the largest, most developed planet in KOTOR.

You could sneak past the Rancor, or you could use explosives and some pheromones near some food to blow him up. But I liked using mines and blasters to take him down.