Next PC patch

during the lasts days when i've been looking for info on patches and what things are repaired in the released ones, i've come to the thought of how CRIMINAL it is to release a game with so many bugs.

still it's a great game. but i can't see how many of the consol-games like beyond good & evil and the silent hill-series are almost bug-free, compared to many pc-games. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

still it's a great game. but i can't see how many of the consol-games like beyond good & evil and the silent hill-series are almost bug-free, compared to many pc-games. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

The great advantage that consoles have is that every one is identical. The same software, the same hardware, the same operating system. You can't say that about a PC even when they should be identical.

And, of course, consoles run their games from the game discs rather than installing them to an internal hard disk drive and running them from there. This means that patching is not the simple operation that it is for a PC. If you can't fix your game after it has been released, then you'd better make sure you fix it before you release it.

Too many publishers are prepared to rely on the safety-net that is patching...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Keep in mind that all this is ALREADY DONE. They've got those movie files and un-downsampled music files on their server or whatever.

Perhaps they should stop trying to fix all remaining bugs in some mega-final patch. I originally thought one reason for not having a small 2nd patch is because there aren't enough bug-fixes in it to warrant it, yet, from what I'm reading, there are still heaps.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

The great advantage that consoles have is that every one is identical. The same software, the same hardware, the same operating system. You can't say that about a PC even when they should be identical.

And, of course, consoles run their games from the game discs rather than installing them to an internal hard disk drive and running them from there. This means that patching is not the simple operation that it is for a PC. If you can't fix your game after it has been released, then you'd better make sure you fix it before you release it.

Too many publishers are prepared to rely on the safety-net that is patching...

The console advantage is true, but that only counts with crash and slowdown bugs. The many scripting, trigger and plot issues with this games have nothing to do with the platform on which it was released, just very bad QA on the devs part for releasing it for publisher testing, if they had a choice we must say for the OBSessed, and the publisher for letting it out the door rather that throwing the bug filled mess back at the dev.

Still a good game though :)

Good game or not, Obsidian made a statement that the patch for the music and movies is done and will be put up.  They need to make good on what they say or say nothing at all.

This is John Morgans' first post on the topic:

The "High Quality movies" are too big for this patch and are going to be put into their own patch which should be up in just a day or two (everything's done, just need to build them).

And this is Jays' (* EDIT * over at the LucasArts forums - don't go there; it's a post apocalyptic wasteland of a forum):

* The UK patch says that it includes high quality movies and music. This is not the case. That content is too large to include in the normal patch and will be released separately. Date of release is TBD

John was making a reasonable assumption about the amount of work involved to get the patch out of the door, and he was speaking for himself not Obsidian. Jay on the other hand, who has a longer association with LucasArts, was more circumspect ;)"

A week later John followed up with:

We're done with that btw... just has to go through the bureaucracy/QA and all that fun stuff...

John was making no promises, because he was not in a position to make any. Ditto for release dates. The license and IP belong to LucasArts; Obsidian cannot release anything without LucasArts' say so.

Although it is beginning to look like LucasArts are going out of their way to make any Obsidian developer who posts here look like a complete muppet.

I know you are angry with him, Mr Rabbit, but I feel sorry for him. Imagine not being able to say what you think on your own site, when your visitors are free to vent their feelings?

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.