What is the base skill cap?

Is it 20? o.O

And, out of curiosity, is it better to sell normal items that you get, or break them down? Can you buy components for item construction??

EDIT: I got an error but I didn't double post. I think I deserve a pat on that back.

What do you mean base skill cap?

Repair and Treat Injury skills are at their maximum efficiency for breaking down at workbenches and lab stations at 15.

Skills used to create at workbenches don't seem to require anything over 29 (including stat boosts of course). This seems to be the only sensible "cap" in the game. But the best items need skills well over 20.

Their are doors and containers that require insanely high Security skill levels. The container in the bedroom in the Onderon palace needs 30 or more.

Hoping this is what you meant...

* EDIT * I always break down the more exotic armour and weapons for components once I reach a Repair skill of 15. Four twilek spinning blades from the Twin Sun encounters stacks up to 2,000 components. A Sith Tremor Sword is 650 components. Some armours are over 1,000 components.

Selling items to buy a lot of something to break down doesn't seem to work whatever one of the walkthroughs/playguides seems to imply. Besides which, even if it did, it would be much too tedious and hardly necessary.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Base skill cap would be a maximum number of points you can have in the skill without item/stat modifications. I'm just wondering if there is one. :shifty:

It depends what the maximum level is you reach. You get exp bonuses for having Kreia in your party, and there are some exp glitches.

Assuming you hit say level 27, you can have a maximum of 30 ranks in a skill, plus bonuses.

You get skills per level (and at the start of the game) based upon the character class you are playing and the intelligence modifier in effect.

If you play Sentinel/Watchmen you get three skill points per level. Using the standard sentinel build of an intelligence of 14, you will get an additional two skill points per level.

You should finish the game somewhere in the region of level 30.

So that is 30 x 5 or 150 skill points to spend overall (not including those you start with). For each additional two points of intelligence you will get an additional 30 skill points.

As a Guardian/Weapon master with a low intelligence, you may only get one skill point per level. That is 30 skill points overall, which is a very big difference between the play paths.

Skills are much more important in this game (as compared to Kotor I - XP from recovering mines, XP from opening locked doors and containers, building/breaking down at workbenches, etc). So, Sentinel is always a good choice for the initial class, and playing sentinel/watchman is the best choice for the first playthrough.

Playing the sentinel/watchmen route, I generally have all skills barring demolitions and stealth in the high 20s after all Jedi Masters have been found.

There appears to be no cap, as such, just not a lot of point in taking any skill beyond 29...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

He's not asking how many skill points you get to distribute amongst your skills, but rather the number of ranks you can have.

At level 1, a class skill as a maximum of 4, and a cross-class skill has a maximum of 2. With each increase in level, class skills can go up 1, and cross-class skills go up 1 per 2 levels.

Thusly, at level 27, a class skill has a maximum of 30 ranks before bonuses.

I think the Sentinel does really well early on, as Treat Injury, Repair, Security, Awareness and Persuasion all get plenty of use. In the later stages of the game, all the skills are useful in making upgrades, which in turn make you fairly powerful.

However I went Sentinel/Weapon Master. By the time I was ready for a Prestige Class, I didn't need as many skill points anymore.

There are bonuses accrued by ability scores, too. For example, every two points of Charisma above 10 gives a +1 to persuade, etc. The relevant ability for a skill is listed in the general decsription of the skill.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT