technic problems

hello everyone!

i'm having problems with KOTOR2....

and i don't know if it's grafik or my computer in total

there are MANY MANY times the game just shuts down

and sometimes in a dialog the black areal where the tekst are is gone

and futher more EVERY time i'm on Daantoien...is it spelt right?...anyway...there is this thing...always when i'm cirkling around the charater you know 360 degres....in the almost 180 degres it's slowing so most down that one second i'm 2feats away from when i first pressed the forward button and the next second i'm at the end of the arealmap...how can this be??

how the f... do you get the console forward??? i have don everything, but it won't work...any ideas?

hoping to hear from anyone

NaKrull132

i'm having problems with KOTOR2....

Commiserations, perhaps we can help

and i don't know if it's grafik or my computer in total

there are MANY MANY times the game just shuts down.

CTDs do happen, but are quite rare (at least for me). Perhaps you do have a driver problem. Any strange behaviour with other games?

and sometimes in a dialog the black areal where the tekst are is gone

You mean that the black "widescreen" bars sometimes fail to appear top and/or bottom? Then the subtitles appear overlaid on to the game background and are hard to read? Yes, that happens after a period of extended play. No known workaround, but if you save, quit and restart things should be back to normal...

and futher more EVERY time i'm on Daantoien...is it spelt right?...anyway...there is this thing...always when i'm cirkling around the charater you know 360 degres....in the almost 180 degres it's slowing so most down that one second i'm 2feats away from when i first pressed the forward button and the next second i'm at the end of the arealmap...how can this be??

The old Bioware game engine is showing its age. In areas where there are is a lot of smoke (Peragus and Malachor) the game slows down as smoke is rendered for the most part by the CPU, not the graphics card. Dantooine is also particularly bad. The central plains area around Khoonda has a lot of NPCs (and Kinrath) going about their business, with complex models (Khoonda itself) and the game engine can't cope very well. It is particularly noticable as you approach the bridge to Khoonda from the west.

If you are using an ATI card the Disable Vertex Buffer thing should work for you, otherwise it's just a question of compromising between graphical detail and speed. Have a look at the Tweak Guide for more info.

Again if you are using an ATI card, KotOR is quite sensitive to the version of graphic driver in use (the newer versions - 5.4 to 5.6 - have quite a lot of KotOR fixes, and the older versions - 4.11 and earlier - have fewer broken bits in the ATI OpenGL driver).

You could also try the mod from this thread. It is a new version of texpacks.2da which doesn't contain any nasty assumptions about the memory of your graphics card (which are reasonable for the XBox, but not for a PC). On my rig it is good for an additional 10 FPS (before: mid 30s FPS dropping to low 20s for the busiest areas, after: mid 40s FPS dropping to low 30s for the busiest areas, all according to Frapps).

how the f... do you get the console forward??? i have don everything, but it won't work...any ideas?

Why would you want to cheat? It isn't a hard game. I use the Hardcore Mod to make it harder. If you really want to cheat there is some info here...

And, yes, dufflover, I'm hoping he's not a native english speaker...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Check page 7 - Advanced Tweaking in the Tweak Guide from my earlier post.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

so you should create it under this section and set it to =1.

that part i didn't really understand create it? n how do i do that? did it read there how to?

EDIT: oh.. it says that there is some ini files in the games directory BUT I DON'T GOT ANY INI FILES THERE!!! :ermm:

EDIT2: now i've found 3 ini files: launcher, language and requirements.. wihitch of those files is it where i can change it to =1? n exacly what does it read there?

Yup, just open swkotor2.ini (in the C:Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 folder by default in the US/UK version; and you might want to make a backup copy first, always a good move when hacking .inis) using notepad (or your favourite text editor). Then find the heading [Graphics Options] and add Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 on somewhere beneath that heading. Then save it over the original.

If you are not seeing .inis, then most likely your OS has been set not to show them. To get around it, try this: open Windows Explorer and look for Folder Options in the Tools menu (assuming Windows XP). Click on the second tab, View and make sure that Hide Protected operating system files is unchecked. Then click Apply and OK.

* EDIT * If you are searching for the file, then make sure Search has been instructed to look for hidden and system files.

* MORE EDIT * Sorting files by names, you should see swkotor2.exe in the top level folder, swkotor2.ini should be just underneath, followed by swplayer.ini and swupdate.exe. Swkotor2.ini is the only one to change.

No problem, just glad to help...