Message board literature

Cantousent

Okay, I was hoping to interest some of you in a little project I've been considering.

Here it is: I would like to write a story in which the plot unfolds on a message board. It will be like an epsitolary novel. I don't know where we could start, and I suspect that we will be forced to mix and match responses between various threads, but I think we could pull some of the posts as written. Others will provide a good basis with minor changes.

This would be a feel good project, not some serious endeavor over which to argue and feud. Anybody else find the idea intriguing?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Anybody else find the idea intriguing?

Yes - and here's your story:

Kumquatq Wars Episode III : Revenge of the Chimp

:lol: You nut

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, I was hoping to interest some of you in a little project I've been considering.

Here it is:  I would like to write a story in which the plot unfolds on a message board.  It will be like an epsitolary novel.  I don't know where we could start, and I suspect that we will be forced to mix and match responses between various threads, but I think we could pull some of the posts as written.  Others will provide a good basis with minor changes.

This would be a feel good project, not some serious endeavor over which to argue and feud.  Anybody else find the idea intriguing?

But I thought that's what the internet was ... the twenty-first century's gift to future generations, the greatest work of historical-creative fiction in the history of mankind; the largest single stream-of-consciousness epistle ever attempted ... (aka the biggest load of freudian embarrassment of any known species in the entire universe).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And the biggest load of **** ever put online?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There's a finnish proverb which would fit here quite well. Too bad it loses something when translated.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I take it that no-one likes the idea. That, or no-one takes it very seriously. Dammit, I'm taking my ball and going home!

Obsidian Plays

I think it's a good idea, and you should just start it and see what happens. Maybe ask Fionavar to moderate it a bit more actively than the rest of the forum, so that it's kept spam free, otherwise it will be hard to follow.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Oh, I don't mind a bit of spam in the thread. I view this topic as something similar to a message board DnD game. This is the discussion thread and we'll start an actual story thread later. We can discuss strategy in this thread and then use the other thread for the actual writing. ...Or cutting and pasting of existing posts.

I'd like to create an actual story, though, and that makes it hard. Message board drama! If it can be done using letters, and it has been done, then there must be a way to fashion a complete story using message board posts. The only difference is that I'd like to use the resources we have here: people. We have a variety of styles and opinions from which to choose.

Anyhow, it's deep sea fishing time for me. Hopefully, someone comes up with the perfect plan before I come back. Otherwise, we'll have to go with Jaguars' idea.

Obsidian Plays

I wonder if it would be written in a third person voice, a multi-first-person voice, or perhaps a multi-first-and-third-person voice?

(I bet someone will now write in a second-person voice, just to be contrary. You know who you are! :shifty:" )

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, a character with multiple personalities trying to get away from a room. Each personality analyzes the surroundings, gives a brief exposition about themselves, then discusses with the other personalities how to pull it off.

It'll be just like the greatest text adventure ever written only you just read the story unfold.

I wonder if it would be written in a third person voice, a multi-first-person voice, or perhaps a multi-first-and-third-person voice?

(I bet someone will now write in a second-person voice, just to be contrary. You know who you are!  :lol:" )

I know who I am, but in the ultimate show of contrariness, I shall not write in second person.

(I bet someone will now write in a second-person voice, just to be contrary. You know who you are!  :-" )

I know who I am, but in the ultimate show of contrariness, I shall not write in second person.

That was my (obviously unsuccessful) attempt at irony. :shifty:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think we should use posts as posts are written. That means mostly first person, but some of it can be third person in much the same way Gromnir writes. ...Or wrote when he actually frequented the fora.

As for the story, it must be something that can be expressed in terms of a message board. We'll be confined to a relatively small number of main character, but much more than in a traditional novel. There will be an abundance of minor characters.

As far as actually getting the story in shape, we should just get an idea going and then run with it. For instance, should every bit of text come in the form of a message board post? How ambitious are we in terms of plots and sub-plots? How do we decide what we're going to do in the first place? Vote? I'll get together something tonight or tomorrow and then submit it for tinkering. In the meantime, we have one suggestion for a story and another discussion for perspective. If anyone has another idea, then speak up!

Obsidian Plays

I think we should use posts as posts are written.  That means mostly first person, but some of it can be third person in much the same way Gromnir writes.  ...Or wrote when he actually frequented the fora.

As for the story, it must be something that can be expressed in terms of a message board.  We'll be confined to a relatively small number of main character, but much more than in a traditional novel.  There will be an abundance of minor characters.

As far as actually getting the story in shape, we should just get an idea going and then run with it.  For instance, should every bit of text come in the form of a message board post?  How ambitious are we in terms of plots and sub-plots?  How do we decide what we're going to do in the first place?  Vote?  I'll get together something tonight or tomorrow and then submit it for tinkering.  In the meantime, we have one suggestion for a story and another discussion for perspective.  If anyone has another idea, then speak up!

Is it a prepare first and write after, or a stream-of-consciousness type of prose?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT