Best looking Nar Shaddaa

In terms of level design and looks, which Nar Shaddaa do you think is the best?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of level design and looks, which Nar Shaddaa do you think is the best?

• KotOR 2
    • Jedi Knight
    • Jedi Outcast
    • Only played K2 and it was good
    • Only played K2 and it was bad

Oh no, I think I'm turning into Topaz Quasar o:)

Seeing Nar Shaddaa again after first seeing it JK was cool, but (I guess due to the RPG "non-vertical" nature, I don't think it looked as good as the NS levels in JK or JKO - too many wide level "streets" I think.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I vote for Kotor2... Since you get to actually explore it.

I was to busy dodging snipers in JKO (Played through it on Master on my first playthrough) to notice anything good.

JK... You start out on it right? I didn't like it much either, too grey and pixelated o:).

Thats the city that they were racing through at the end of Blues Bros. right? Ya thats a good movie

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Jedi Knight offers you a realistic view of Nar In contrast to K2 methinks. In K2 it's to open, to many people on the streets, to many people who shouldn't be out in the open are out in the open...

Yup, I would have to agree with you. Nar Shaddaa was the best in JK, even if it was rather pixelated. :shifty:

JK2 was too linear while KOTOR2 was just kinda boring and unfinished... especially in the refugee sector... :wub:

I voted Jedi Outcast because for some reason I reckon the cantina on there looks soo much better than KOTOR, makes me think why cant they all be like that.??

Plus I thought it was generally better designed in JO, and it felt like it was an actual city, whereas KOTOR felt like it was just a restricted area..

I voted Jedi Outcast because for some reason I reckon the cantina on there looks soo much better than KOTOR, makes me think why cant they all be like that.??

Plus I thought it was generally better designed in JO, and it felt like it was an actual city, whereas KOTOR felt like it was just a restricted area..

I disagree monumentally. I haven't played JK, but JO's Nar Shaddaa was just horribly ugly and frustrating as a level. I mean come on: long "bridges" without rails over a huge shaft. Gimme a break! It looked very undetailed and the fact that there isn't a single person to be seen except for evil Fat Rodian Mercs makes it feel utterly video-gamish; just another level.

In KotOR2, however, it really felt like a city, and a dark and eerie one for that matter. My vote goes to KotOR2 NS without a blink!

The one bit I agree about is the cantina, though. Why do all KotOR 1 and 2 cantinas have to look the same?

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

What JK:O has - that Star Wars had in spades - is verticallity. How many catwalks and platforms where there over apparently endless drops in the OT? Lots. Did any of these have "Health and Safety" approved handrails? Nope, don't think so. Not even invisible walls.

It is an essential component of Star Wars-ness, like blazing away at one end of a corridor at baddies at another without seeking cover or even moving and still the baddies always lose.

Admittedly JK:O was grey, but it was run-down grey, not KotOR II's bright and shiny grey which doesn't fit the image I have of Nar Shaddaa.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

So the argument is "oh it have NPCs running around" ...

Well one is a FPS as the other is a RPG, Nar Shaddaa is always going to be just a level map in a FPS.

Personaly I liked Nar Shaddaa in Dark Forces the best, sure it was a nothing but a area map but still it had the right feel of a run down alien city district.

I find KotOR2 locations horrible in feeling, Nar Shaddaa was particulary bad in that aspect since it was just huge grey blocks without any type of decoration or funtionality (KotOR2 city levels were horrible, period) and they did not even used KotOR Taris trick of making "scenery building".

drakron.png

What JK:O has - that Star Wars had in spades - is verticallity. How many catwalks and platforms where there over apparently endless drops in the OT? Lots. Did any of these have "Health and Safety" approved handrails? Nope, don't think so. Not even invisible walls.

It is an essential component of Star Wars-ness, like blazing away at one end of a corridor at baddies at another without seeking cover or even moving and still the baddies always lose.

Admittedly JK:O was grey, but it was run-down grey, not KotOR II's bright and shiny grey which doesn't fit the image I have of Nar Shaddaa.

While that works just fine in Imperial bases and the like, a city like Nar Shaddaa just wouldn't look like that. It just doesn't feel right. KotOR2 felt more like the "true" Nar Shaddaa (even though I must agree that they could have learned more from the design of Taris when making th areas.

Remember Attons comment about "Being careful... otherwise you'll fall for hours"?

Yes, Nar Shaddaa is supposed to look like that. I know it doesn't make sense, but consider the prequels high altitude visions of Coruscant (and that of JK:A for that matter). Immense drops are Star Wars, no question.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Nar Shaddaa is just a big stardock for the Hutts, its a maze with parts been abandoned long ago and build over it, its a mess of overlaping docking pads, refineries and storage areas.

People drift there because there is no law, the Hutts only care about their own domains located there and that is why its known as the Smuggler's Moon.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/narshaddaa/

KotOR2 simply feeled like someone make tall (and non funtional) buildings in Earth's moon.

drakron.png

[/b]

Remember Attons comment about "Being careful... otherwise you'll fall for hours"?

Yes, Nar Shaddaa is supposed to look like that. I know it doesn't make sense, but consider the prequels high altitude visions of Coruscant (and that of JK:A for that matter). Immense drops are Star Wars, no question.

I don't mind the risk of falling. As you say, that's just like the case with Coruscant etc. But the JO level was very poorly designed in that it didn't feel the least like a city, it just felt like a video game level and it was ugly. KotOR2 Nar Shaddaa at least had rails where there was a risk of falling, and it had a general feeling of being in a huge city, which is something JO lacked.

I disagree monumentally. I haven't played JK, but JO's Nar Shaddaa was just horribly ugly and frustrating as a level. I mean come on: long "bridges" without rails over a huge shaft. Gimme a break! It looked very undetailed and the fact that there isn't a single person to be seen except for evil Fat Rodian Mercs makes it feel utterly video-gamish; just another level.

In KotOR2, however, it really felt like a city, and a dark and eerie one for that matter. My vote goes to KotOR2 NS without a blink!

The one bit I agree about is the cantina, though. Why do all KotOR 1 and 2 cantinas have to look the same?

Well i think you may be right about the long bridges over railings and such, but as people have said ^^^, most star wars has this.

Also, with the emptiness, did Atton not say early on in KOTOR2 that Nar Shaddaa is somewhere someone would go to hide, or stay away from someone?? TBH I dont think many people would want to go there while there is snipers and such shooting about the place, I know I wouldnt, so that to me explains the emptiness.

In that case most of your probably would've like the original JK1. It had the same theme as Outcast, but a lot more alleyways and corridors, plus (despite the fact it's old not very supportive of mass populations) some bystanders. If I remember JO was all alien thugs right?

It was also open, but mainly on the roof-tops, and one thing I remember was an entire roof-top opening and 8T-88 escaping on a shuttle. I doubt that could happen in KorOR though since the levels are supposed to be mainly static.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I liked Jedi Knight. I picture Nar Shadda just like Dark Empire painted it. It should be confusing, and Blade Runner-esque. It should have veritcal and horrizontal alleyways, traffic everywhere, and look a mess.

Nar Shadda was dark, and yet clean in KOTOR:2. It had wide open spaces, and plenty of open air.

Jedi Knight by a mile.

Jedi Outcast's was too bright and confusing, and you couldn't get to much of it...far too linear.

KOTOR2's was far too flat, and seemed like any other city. It was also too damn CLEAN. And what was with the refugee sector? It went from an office building (Exchange) with hallways into a storage area. Uh, yeah.

Jedi Knight, on the other hand, actually showed the vertical city as it's suppoed to be - VERTICAL!

I agree that KotOR2's NS lacked much of the creepy alleys with dirty feel, but that wasn't exactly something that JO did better. KotOR2 could have made NS look better, but so was the case with most places in the game (Citadel Station comes off as my personal object of disgust). Again, I'm just saying that when comparing games, KotOR2 was the game where I felt closest to actually being on Nar Shaddaa, JO made me very disappointed. Look at JA's Coruscant map (which isn't perfect by any means either, but still); that has more city-feel to it and JO Nar Shaddaa should look a bit more like it.